What do you never tow Without?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Lokenzo, May 5, 2012.

1. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

So what are your essentials you NEVER tow without?

My cars all have fire extinguishers in them. I know how easy a car or float can catch fire and a couple of recent events over East pushed home just how crucial they are.

Then the other day I was talking to a friend who mentioned she never tows without a first aid kit for the horse. I hadn't even thought of that, I have a human one in my BMW and a horse one in the stable but none in the Navara or float. It is certainly something I will be adding to my float on a permanent basis!

I want to be prepared for other essentials before any events happen, what don't you ever go without?

2. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hi Lokenzo,
    I have one of those little 'drive-up' ramps to put under the float tyre if I have a flat.
    I feel sick in my tummy just thinking about having a flat and possibly not being able to sort it out myself.
    Obviously the phone is a 'must have' item but not everyone keeps a phone charger in their car - I highly recommend having one of those tucked up in the glove box too :))

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  3. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Tow Ball!!!:)*

I couldn't resist.:)*

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

We have small horsey & human first-aid kits in the Fat Max :)

A high-vis vest. If you need to get out and walk around your float (or even just your car) - please put one on. They tuck easily under a carseat.

An old dressage whip. I've even had a friend at the beach just go to my car when I was nowhere near it, because they know I carry that - and someone else's horse was being an a$$.

5. southwardKIWI

southwardKIWI Well-known Member

i used to have a kit that i carried in the flot at all times.
    and at the end of the seasonn i would remove all wheel nuts and put grease on thhe studs and the do them all up.........alan

[​IMG]

6. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

Extra long rope and my pocket knife.

7. teddy2shoes

teddy2shoes Well-known Member

A wheel brace. Has anyone checked whether the car spanner fits their float spare tyre nuts because mine are a different size! Imagine not being able to get the tyre off!

Also CRC and a screwdriver for if the wiring needs adjusting and a set of spare fuses.

Oh and a spare halter and leadrope.

T2S's mum

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Great ideas, some again I hadn't even thought of! Going to be stocking up :)

9. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

Ooh and a hammer is handy. I've had problems with the tow hitch seizing on the tow ball, and was so glad I had a hammer.

10. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Always take a horse first aid kit with me**)

Does everyone have a separate jack for their float/car and if not is the car one high enough for your float?

Not really thought about until you go to change a tyre! I know that the jack for my ute does not go up high enough to get a tyre off the float.. something to consider anyway:)

Hmmm good ideas- must put a hammer in the car as this can also be vital if you centre divider is tricky to get out. A hammer could assist with removing it quickly if needed.

I always have water in the car, a few 2L bottles tucked behind the seat in case the vehicle heats up or you need it in an emergency.

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Leatherman and zippy ties **)

Good sharp knife.

First aid kit (horse and human).

Spare halters (well, my float is also my tack room so I have lots of spare halters and bits and pieces).

Bucket.

Satellite phone. We have one of our own and considering there's not much reception between here and Darwin..........

and something I absolutely cannot tow without.......

A suitable towing vehicle (beats your towball Deb2!!!)

12. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Good thread guys !!!

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Loving this thread! Great idea's people! I love the high vis vest idea! Never thought of that and have plenty spare :).

I actually do my best to always travel with company and my husband does his absolute best to follow this but sometimes we just can't and I have to drive to Perth on my own so a mobile is a MUST so if I make any pit stops I must check in to hubby of where I am on my journey.

I always travel with a spare halter and lead rope of which never gets touched, just stays in the float and usually I carry an extra that aren't my horses sizes incase someone else gets caught out (or you might find a wandering horse).

I also have a half blue bucket in my float, I take it with me everywhere. Given the distance we travel when we stop somewhere its usually for a long period of time so I'm able to fill it to the top and give my horses adequate water. Its not really a must travel item but its just something I must always have with me.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  14. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Bucket
    Water
    22 foot line
    Fly mask
    First aide kit
    Pliers
    Bailing twine
    Wheel brace
    Dressage whip
    Hay (if a tragedy occurs, hay will keep neddies occupied!)
    Mobile

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  15. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

Check your RAC or like membership for towing out of town or for any distances, just changed mine,is worth taking a look at your insurance policies as well.

16. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Well, I went to the hardware shop tonight to get a nut to fix my wheelbarrow. Thought about this thread and walked out with $160 worth of 'emergency' tools. So thanks. I think :)

Can now add a hammer, knife, sliding spanner, pliers, screwdrivers, and WD40 to my first aid kits (horse n human), 20L water, bucket, hay, wheelbrace, paving stone (as jockey wheel platform/tyre change platform/wheel chock), car oil n water, $20 bucks hidden in car, RAC details, and all the crap I have in my float storage locker and my ritual of filling the car and checking tyre pressure and under bonnet before each trip.

17. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

after having to dismantle my float after my mare got hungup on the divider and bum bar, i am grateful i had my shifting spanner and that none of my bolts were painted over, it was hard enough to undo with a horses full weight on it let alone if it had paint over too, I also have extra tie down straps which came in handy to tie the damaged divider on the side with the float yards, one thing I have thats not metioned here yet is...duct tape lol

18. Ridelikeyoumeanit

Ridelikeyoumeanit Active Member

not just a wheel brace that fits the nuts on your float but make sure that the wheel brace can fit in the hole where the nut is.

found out the other day that mine doesnt. the new float has flashy mags and the the hole is quite small. the wheel brace DOES fit the nuts but i cant get it in there as the outside diametre of the brace is bigger than the hole.

now have to take spare wheel with me to a tyre place to see what i need to get.

oh and we have a chock of some sort to stop float rolling if and when we unhitch.

19. TahliaMatches

TahliaMatches New Member

HORSE(S)!

sorry, just had to!
    also, spare lead rope, feed/water, buckets, rug, first aid kit, grooming kit, PHONE(always a must), vet numbers/doctor etc, and... well, THE FLOAT!

i dont float my mare due to troubles(which we are working on)but i listed everything i could think of

20. abi

abi Well-known Member

Mobile Phone, money