What do you look for when buying a horse?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Razzie, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I look for temprement, conformation and education.

I am shopping right now, so when I find a horse that I am intersted in I talk to judges, breeders etc and get their opinion about the horse, their breeding to ensure that I get the right horse, especially if I end up buying a youngster.

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Breed
    Price
    What they have to say about them even though its usually not the truth.
    I dont care about pictures, two horses I have bought have had shocking pictures up.
    Its hard to say something just tells me to go and look and its usually right. I usually buy the first one I see lol.
    Problem horses dont bother me as I like the challenge.

3. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Ok, I've been lucky and have bought most of my horses word of mouth however I do (like most people :D ) keep an eye out for what is for sale and what for so for me .....

A good picture is a must ..... I am a big fan of seeing a side on photo of the horse stood up so to see conformation and a good head shot to see the eye (I'm funny .... Horse has got to have a nice eye to come to our stables LOL!!). If the horse is broken in and being sold as a competition horse I would like to see a photo of it competing .... Also a relevant photos - DON'T put a photo of a horse falling over a x pole then put "GREAT POTENTIAL TO JUMP" :cool: . If the horse is advertised with "good movement" then a picture of it in motion is great ;) .

I am always very sceptical of waffle .... Especially comments such as "huge potential as competition/dressage/show jumper/eventer" or "stunning movement and jump technique". I prefer to judge those for myself if I decide to go see the horse as in all honesty ... we ALL think our own horses have stunning movement etc. etc. ... there are a lot of rose coloured glasses out there!

I prefer just facts - age, breed, experience/training, pedigree. Dot points are even better.

Best advice I guess is let the horses reputation and photos do the selling for you.

esy

4. playin bb

playin bb New Member

i think theres so many things to look at when putting in an add, but at the same time keep it short and sweet but enough to make a buyer wanting more information therefore ringing up! the question as to barefoot or shoed, i think is a lil too much for just an add, that should be more a question to ask when buying a horse! anyway good luck razzie! lol

5. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I look at a LOT of things.

A well written ad, and nice photos are a must.

I also like a reason for sale, if it isnt posted in the ad I will ask.

I also look for a breed that may interest me, and within the price range.

6. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

cool, so good pictures which we have done, now just to write an ad up!!

Thanks guys, gave me heaps to think about.

7. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

I first look at the height/breed and then go into the advert if it's the right height/breed - photo is a must.

I've always skipped past and not even phoned about ads that have "experienced rider only" or "not for beginners" because even though I'm a competent rider I am a nervous rider so don't want a horse that has issues or is full-on; does this mean I've been missing out on a potential horse because the advert is worded to stop kids phoning? :confused:

8. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Hopefully only PSO's huge warmbloods.

9. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I'm terrible-I tend to get gut feelings about horses,usually from the photos! Got Maddy,Sweety and Riley pretty much on that feeling......:eek:

10. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

lol...I was about to add something to that effect :)

I think horses with a lot of potential can attract dreaming teenagers :D most adults are a bit more realistic about what is suitable for them :)

ETA: Like everyone else, a good photo will attract my attention and then I wll read further if I like what I see. I think it's important to be honest about the horse - it saves everybody a lot of wasted time and effort. Everybody is after different things in a horse and so being true to the horse gives it the best chance of finding a perfect home :) I also don't think it's necessary to put too much info into an ad - perhaps enough to encourage potential buyers to enquire.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  11. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

thats me down to a tee. im a good rider and can do it but im silly and over think everything. i saw a jump and talked myself out of it because it was wide but happily jumped one that was a cross and bigger. need a horse that i can be comfortable on thats not going to go nuts.

does that mean i should call up about experianced rider only horses?

12. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

hey Razzie, when I was selling Kitty, 5yr old mare unbroken done nothing her whole life, I had no idea what to put in her ad!

I did say in the ad clearly "unbroken" but still had alot of enquiries asking how she was under saddle etc :rolleyes: so i re-arranged the ad so the first line was "Kitty is unbroken..." lol no matter what your selling you will get enquiries from people who havent even read the ad!

Oh, and I had Beth (Nags to Riches) come and get her looking snazzy for her photo shoot :D

13. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Perhaps you should enquire if you're interested. Personally, if you are a nervous rider, I would be looking for something that describes a horse for nervous riders. Even a quiet horse can become difficult to ride with an unsuitable/nervous rider. I hope that makes sense without sounding bad ;)

14. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

dont worry i understand what you mean. my nerves are silly i could get on somthing completly bombproof and not feel right but get on something thats not so bombproof that may shy and not be bothered. yes im a strange one but when/if i start looking i will definatly go and have to try a lot of horses to see what works with me:)*

15. mature aged rider

mature aged rider New Member

I think when they say needs experienced rider only they should define why it needs an experienced rider. It may be a positive thing as a highly schooled horse often needs an experienced rider due to its 'softness' and receptiveness to the hand, leg and seat. A beginner flapping about on a horse like this may result in mayhem or the horse being ruined.

Where as needs experienced rider can also mean get on it, start the stopatch and try to stay on for 8 seconds!!

16. Monckey Madness

Monckey Madness Active Member

Look for if you like it, simple as that
    it's no use buying a horse you don't like:)*