What do you look for when buying a horse?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Razzie, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

After rading Andhi's thread about looking for a new horse, I had a thought.

"What do you look for when buying a horse?"

Does an Advert that has had a lot thought and work put into it caught your eye?
    Does multiple Rego's?
    Colour of an horse?

Anything, when you look through HD what make you go "oh wow, i might enquire about that horse!!"

Just want to hear your opinions or views....:}

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I actually skip long adverts haha
    Short ones with just the main things catch my eye.
    I also scroll through to see if it suits experienced rider (in which case i'll go onto the next one, as an add with "suits experienced rider" on isn't what i want lol)
    And a good pic, i hate how people put terrible pics of their horses on when their for sale

3. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

This may sound stupid but the picture really is the thing that catches my attention - IMO, if they don't have a half decent picture, then they are being lazy. If they are being lazy, it most probably is going to be a lazy sale. If so, I dont want to get involved.
    I do like detailed descriptions - especially since my last experience where the owner failed to tell me about bad back conditions and habits which "destroyed her fences".
    However if it is just rambling on then I usually loose interest quite quickly.
    It would also depend on what you're looking for. I kindof find it annoying when I have taken the time to read through a whole add and then at the bottom it says "Not sound for jumping or lots of work, light riding only" - obviously this isn't going to be the horse for me. I think this kindof information should be earlier in the add.
    I like honest, detailed adds.
    But yes the picture should be half decent - afterall, they are trying to sell the horse! How hard can it be to have a half decent picture? And that doesn't include a horse covered in a rug eating grass in a paddock...

4. pso

pso Gold Member

1st...a good pic is essential...ie no rope halters, flouro saddlecloths...suede chaps...photos with rugs on just make me laugh! If it is being sold as a performance horse...a pic of it performing is better (not one of the kids sitting around its feet in the paddock)...If its a halter horse...Have it stood up properly..not a pic of it in the paddock grazing...
    Put as much thought into the pic as the ad...and dont have the horse/rider presented any lower than you would expect to see them as out in public;)

2nd..breeding...age...price

3rd...less is more...a great pic is better than alot of well thought out words...

I always put experienced rider only...even if the horse is quiet...so I dont have to put up with a trillion kids ringing...:p

5. Pure Utopia

Pure Utopia New Member

I also don't like long adverts I just skip to the parts that are relevant, ie good to catch shoe float etc. I like adverts that tell some bad things also, because it appears as though the person is being honest. Good photos are a must at ALL times hehe!

6. samm

samm Gold Member

Firstly ,if its the breed I'm interested in.
    Secondly ,Pedigree.
    Thirdly ,possibly the pic but I don't put a lot of emphasis on pics as horses are very hard animals to get really good pics of and I've been pleasantly surprised when I have gone to view some horses.
    Fourth.Price ,is the horse within my budget.

7. Riffraff

Riffraff New Member

I totally agree about the pics. A good pic is essential!

8. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

haha I had to laugh when there was a picture of a horse in a rug + neck rug and then its head was in its feed bucket... Umm yeah Great picture!

A good picture always captures my eye. I don't read adverts that don't have a picture.

9. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

thanks guys, keep it coming!!
    I just wanted to hear what people look for, as I am wanting to sell before the end of the year and didnt want to waste hundreds of dollars on advertising if it werent to be up to scratch and not catch peoples eye.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  10. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

i look for horses that have problems then i buy them (for me). i have 3 horses that all had different issues at different levels at some stage.

and if i get a horse that has great conformation and is sound and is pretty/handsome then i am just lucky and so far i've managed to be REALLLY lucky.

i have horses to be with their minds more than their riding (that's only a small part for me) i do ride but i like to ride and play by doing things like liberty and horsemanship.

that's just me though ;)

11. odway

odway Guest

Definately a good photo, it's what makes an add win or lose in my opinion! The photo has to refect what the horse is being sold as (no point advertising it as a showjumper then showing a paddock photo) but it can't be overdone either (pro photos are fantastic, but I get really put off by those pictures that have had horses photoshopped onto overly blurred backgrounds by the owner).

Next age sex breed height, then experience. Personally I dont mind working with something that is not good to catch or doesn't have the best manners, but good shoeing and floating are a must. Short - medium adds are good, if it's a show horse then listing some of it's acheivements. I'm a put off by the whole "new best friend" thing as well, or adds written in the horses point of view "my mum is selling me but I'm a really nice horse, I'm really well behaved and have done dressage and showjumping...". I don't mind if everything isnt listed on the add, the rest is what phonecalls are for :)

12. Stattik

Stattik Active Member

I also like to know the condition of their feet. Barefoot and what not.
    Price, age and what there good at or learning.
    Either a good or poor doer.

Goodluck with selling your horse. Geeesh If I wasnt going to uni next year I'd consider another (if its Obi your talking about:) ).

13. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

For me its always photos that catch my attention. Ive not been surprised by the ones Ive gone and seen. They have been exactly like their photos. One I went and saw I was hoping it was a bad photo, but it wasnt.

I want to see what it looks like as it would for a show and I will email for some under work if Im interested.

Next is what it has done, any issues it has, rider suitability, its breeding and of course price.

The people I have spoken to I always tell them what Im looking for, the riders abilitiy and then we go from there to see if the horse is suitable

14. Que Sera Sera

Interesting, as a buyer I see the words 'experienced rider' and assume the horse has major issues and not worth looking at

15. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

Also how about if u were looking at an UNBROKEN horse??

16. pso

pso Gold Member

Well, there comes a point in time where you get sick of 12yos ringing about 17hh WBs...the size of the animal should imply that an experienced person is required...but the hint usually isnt taken;)

unbroken...pics as you described you had taken...or if a performance prospect...Pics of movement when running free in roundyard/arena/paddock...

17. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

horses that haven't been started under saddle is never an issue for me as i just start them when they're ready.

18. Que Sera Sera

LOL. I must admit I havent even looked at the 17hh. I cant be bothered dragging around a mounting block :p

Cant comment on the unbroken horses, Im looking for established horses

19. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

I cannot stand the photos with the horses wearing rugs! Whats the point!? Also ones that say 'excellent' comformation...then you see a awful pic. I guess bad photos are a turn off for me#(

20. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

For an unbroken horse.. I look for pics of the horse standing up square showing the horse's conformation.. It also helps if you have a pic from side on and a pic from front on to see that they are not pigeon toed or over at the knees or anything..