what do you feed your horses

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by aussie_rider91, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

The main reason I add chaff is to slow my horses down and so they have to give everything a good chew, thus producing saliva which is needed in their digestion.

2. K85

K85 New Member

I have a 10 year old Arab x Welsh in moderate work. He gets the below split in to two meals plus about 10 hours grazing per day:

2kg Wheaten chaff
    250g TDI Competition Pellets
    70g Palomino Gold Minerals
    Meadow Hay

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-known Member

All of mine are fed the same feed, I just alter the ratios as required. I feed oats (up to 3kg a day), meadow hay - adlib, pasture and vit/mins. I keep it simple because there is not need to complicate it ..... they look great!! :)

4. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

As I mentioned earlier, mine all get feeds which are 75% roughage and 25% concentrate or thereabouts. The roughage is mainly meadow hay but they do get chaff as well. The chaff is mixed with their concentrate to encourage chewing and to increase saliva production.

Mine all eat their "hard feed" first and then just veg out for a while before tackling their hay so the addition of chaff means they don't stand around digesting nothing but grain/pellets. I'm sure it's better for their digestive systems to have roughage in the stomach as well.

JMO

5. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

My 21 month w/blood gelding only gets fed once a day (is about 1/3 of a big white bucket):

400g lucernce chaff
    250g grower weaner
    300g Oats
    150g flaked lupins
    Cell Grow
    2 biscuits hay (4kg??)
    paddock

He definitely doesn't need anymore (body condition moderate - 5), diet is balanced on feedxl and only costs $25/week :)

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

hrm, i haven't thought about it. im so paranoid about sand colic, i figured the sweet chaff to be essential?

why are the oat husks a no-no?

should i cut back the salt too? do you think keeping him on equimin is okay? i did stop both for the first week of the gastropel treatment

7. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

so when i first got cricket she was being hard fed twice a day
    now she is only getting one and adlib hay
    250grams Falked Barley ( soaked)
    Groom 500 grams
    250 grams full fat soya
    canola oil
    nutrice stud grower 500 grams
    studmaster 700 grams and 1.5 kilos of shandy chaff
    the reason why cricket gets so much bulk is when i first got her she like to eat sand
    but after 2 drenchings and always being full i am glad to say she doesnt eat sand any more
    she also gets garlic,brewers yeast and salt
    and i have put her diet through feed xl and it says it perfect for her age, and her work load :)

8. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

What do you guys feed your young fat horses?
    I have a very overweight young pony breed. She is locked in a Jenny Craig paddock (still a large paddock and still has pick but not a huge amount) and gets soaked hay. Plus about a cup of lucerne chaff with her vitamins and minerals. I only worry because she is young that she isn't Getting what she needs. But she gains weight at the drop of a hat :eek: and still has lots to lose.

So Asha - rising 2 welsh D - no work - except walks around the property
    Soaked hay
    1 cup Lucerne hay
    Equimin

Jack - rising 4 cb x tb - good doer - no work
    24 hour grazing on very green grassy paddock
    1 biscuit of hay
    1 h/l scoop oaten chaff
    2 cups crushed barley
    1 scoop equimin

9. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Hey CMBR @)

As much as I love Equimin I did some research on it and it doesnt contain the needed amino acids required for growing horses. I use Equimin for Stan but for Murphy who is 3 I use Vitafit studmix which is roughly the same in cost etc and has all the amino acids needed for a growing pony.

Murph as you know is young and puts on weight at the drop of a hat, the paddock he is in is pretty good at the moment so he is mainly on pasture, meadow hay and then at night a handful of copra and lupins with his vitamins in, the only reason he really gets the night feed is for the vitamins. Copra (nice for his coat) and lupins for protein needed for growing muscles etc.

What you are giving her sounds perfect, a handful of lucerne gives her a little protein and something to put her vitamins in but I wouldnt give her more then that, can you feed meadow hay? it's a little less fattening and then you wouldnt have to soak the sugars out of it.:)

I know it's hard as you cant let them get too fat but isnt it awesome to have this problem rather then trying to shovel food into a thin horse.

10. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

CMBR - I've had too results with Kohnke's "Trim" .. specially designed for curvy ponies :D

11. Ankyvan

Ankyvan New Member

Hi, worth trying Blue Chip Feed balancers, there is no need for all this, just feed the BC product and fibre, can even drop back on hard feed. That is what I have done. Used this in the UK, so glad they have arrived in OZ and based in Perth too...

12. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

All the horses get fed different amounts of the following:

Lucerne Chaff
    Pony Maintenance Cubes
    Oaten Chaff
    Mortons Top Performer
    Soaked Lupins
    Sunflowers seeds
    Rosehip
    Biotin
    Carrots
    Oaten Hay
    Barastoc Mineral Block

13. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

Punch gets

1-2Kg Prydes Easi Result
    2Kg Oaten Chaff
    1Kg Lucerne Chaff
    3-4 x biscuits of Hay and hes on a grass paddock
    Hes also got a mineral lick in his feed bin

Thats split into 3 feeds (hay at lunch). Hes in great shape and everyone that sees him comments on how well he looks and the condition of his coat. Hes a 15.2HH Quarter horse 12 year old gelding roughly 570Kg. Hes the heavier type so have to keep him a little rounder so he looks balenced, when hes leaner he looks strange. He had to get his feed reduced as hes putting on too much weight so has had Mill Mix cut out and his chaff reduced.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. Sniggles

Sniggles Active Member

I have 2 TB geldings, both over 16.2hh - One is 9 the other is 14.
    They get the following per day (split into two feeds)

Oaten Chaff
    Lucerne Chaff
    AV Pellets
    Mitavite Economix
    Alka Pellets
    Chia Seeds
    Gelatin
    Garlic
    Mineral salts
    Good quality meadow hay
    And carrots of course ;)

They are both shiny, dappled, healthy, happy and look great! :D

15. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Hard feed once a day, dinner time 1 scoop of Sweet Chaff and a tiny cup of Hygain showtorque.

she is on meadow hay roll for about 6/7 hours during the day.

16. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Rahni and Gracie just get hay and 24/7 grazing.

Monica and Whiskey (mare and foal) get lucerne, oaten chaff, weaner and grower pellets, crushed barley, dolomite, 10hrs a day access to belly deep grass, and ad lib hay at night (Whiskey has taken to using mum's hay as a toilet! Silly bugger)

All was on vet recommendations, and when the vet was here yesterday, she said that Monica and Whiskey are in great condition **)

17. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Bunnies, I'm sure if I had a look I would find that this information is plastered all over the web. However I haven't looked, so this bit of information from you has been a brilliant eye opener for me!

I actually sat down and worked out what my boy should be fed based on that information and I am much much happier with what I have come up with for him!

The below isn't perfectly 'spot on' (he is still deliberately fed slightly under the calculated 'optimum') however it is far more 'accurate' than it was in the past. And he is pretty chuffed too!

AM
    2 x Scoop Oaten Chaff (800g)
    1 x Scoop Lucerne Chaff (400g)
    2 cup Lupins (340g)
    4 cup Gumnuts (580g)
    1 cup Copra (155g)

PM
    3 x Scoop Oaten Chaff (1.2kg)
    1 x Scoop Lucerne Chaff (400g)
    3 cup Lupins (510g)
    4 cup Gumnuts (580g )
    1 cup Copra (155g)
    Big Handful of Sliced Carrots

+ Bag Supplements to PM Feed only :
    1 Cup Chamomile
    2 yellow scoop Biotin
    2 yellow scoop Minerals
    1 yellow scoop Glucosamine
    1 yellow scoop Electrolytes

Plus
    Free access to Oaten Hay in holder (he eats approx 3-4kg per day + pasture)

* 1 metric cup Gumnuts = 140g, 1 cup Lupins = 170g, 1 cup Copra = 155g, 1 x lge blue scoop chaff = 400g

Rev = 500kg.
    2% feed body weight = 10kg
    75% roughage = 7.5kg
    25% concentrates = 2.5kg

So thanks for posting it! :))

ETA: Hmmm... long post - back to the OCD Thread for me! :eek: *#)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  18. Bunnies

Bunnies Guest

Thanks JJ, I'm glad you found it useful :)

The ratio of roughage (75%) to concentrate (25%) is based on old fashioned, traditional feeding methods and I see no reason to do anything different.

19. Sniggles

Sniggles Active Member

That's how I feed as well! **)

20. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Well I have been through no end of trouble lately with feeds!

Earlier this year and in work one of my horses got once a day

5 Litre chaff (half a 10L bucket)
    1.5kg Grotorque
    1 cup (dry weight) copra OR Full Fat Soy
    Aussie Sport Minerals
    Dolomite
    Hygain Regain electrolytes
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    60 ML John Kohnke Energy Gold

My mare gets the same, but no ACV, and gets Hygain Allrounder instead of Grotorque. Both horses get ad lib pasture, as pasture gets sparse at the end of the dry I add a couple of biscuits of hay morning and night.

THEN as workload decreased I removed the copra and both horses got Allrounder. I also tried some Johnsons pellets as my horse was getting very itchy and these had all sorts of Happy herbs.....until DISASTER.

My good horse came down with colic last week and after bloods, and discussing with vet we have decided that too much protein in his diet is causing him to process his feed too long which in turn causes him to overheat.

So now his diet consists of:

1.5kg MicrBarley
    800g Trugain or Equi-jewel whatever I can get my hands on.
    Aussie Sport
    A course of Activ8
    Hygain Regain
    60mL Energy Gold Oil

this is to try and balance his levels and boost his immune system, as well as provide food that will not cause him to overheat. After 3 days on this diet he was like a different horse! No longer standing under his fan moping in the stable but actually happy and perky again!

We are going back for blood tests in a month so fingers crossed this works out!