What do you feed your 20 year old horse

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by hope_jordan, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hope_jordan

hope_jordan Active Member

I have a 20 year old mare pony she is 13hh.
    i just want to know what would be good for her and not.
    I am so cant remember lol its the pink hair getting to me.
  2. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Hi, I recently put my old mare (22 yrs old) onto nutrice allrounder and studmaster, the change in her has been amazing, I damp her feed down as this is the only way she will eat her food and have teeth checked on a 6 monthly basis just to make sure her teeth are in good shape.:)*

CHARLIEBOY New Member

My 22 old boy gets Gumnuts, chaff,Lurcerne chaff and as much hay as he needs, since changing to gumnuts his condition has picked up heaps he looks a million bucks
    swear by the stuff for the oldies
  4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

GUMNUTS**) and flaked Barley and wheaten chaff, with hay**)
  5. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I agree, chaff, hay, maybe lucerne and either studmaster or gumnuts both are formulated for older horses though it can depend on the individ- my friends 2 oldies didnt pick up on gumnuts but did on studmaster and also if you need weightgain at all (say if she drops over winter or what not) my friend swears by wheetbix!!
  6. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

My 22 yr old TB gets Wheaten Chaff, Ricebran, Equilibrium, Vitamin E-Se, Garlic, Sunflower Seeds, Biotin, Carrots, Pears and a slurry of Rosehip Tea all mixed up with molasses that has garlic soaking in it. He also gets oaten hay and 24 hr green grass atm.

He is as fat as butter and very shiny and I often get comments that he looks like a 3 yr old QH!!! not 22 yr old TB
  7. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

My 24 year old gets nothing. He is so fat I have to lock him up regularly to keep weight off him! He has celulite.
  8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Soon to be also on Chasteberries...if I can find out how much to feed:confused:
  9. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Our 20 year old gets normal feed, chaff, pellets ect. He is in show condition. The only extra thing we feed is stuff for his joints, buts its a preventative as he is not symptomatic. We also try to make sure that he gets a good deal of warm up time, with lots of stretching etc before any collection.

I would suppose it would depend on the horses general health. I dont anticipate feeding our boy gumnuts etc for at least another 5 years or so, he is in just too good a condition to be needing it on the feed he is on. Why change anything if its working?
  10. hope_jordan

thankyou all i think i have enough to know now what to feed my baby girl thankyou all so much.
    But what would i give my mare she is 20 she dosent want hot feeds but she will be ridden regulary and going out heaps. she has heeps of grass all the time and at the moment she gets 3k of hay morning and night.
  11. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I think you may need look at what you are feeding her in general rather than the issue of her being 20.

The only issues I see in regard to her age is her joints and teeth.

As for feeding her, it will depend on how she reacts to feed. Is she a good doer, prone to getting fat? (being a pony) Does she need to put on some weight? I think some more background into her condition is needed rather than just her age.
  12. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

The amount of hay and grass would be great for her id go for a vitamin supplement aswell or studmaster/gumnuts as they arent hot feed and are designed to give older horses a little bit extra.
  13. hope_jordan

she is up and firey as it is she thinks that she is 10 not 20. i have only had her for 2weeks now she has not lost any condition but think putting it on.
  14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I got my 23yo TB back 3 wks ago as a hatrack.
    I've tried him on Hygain Senior that i have leftover & he wont touch it?
    So he's twice daily on lucerne & oaten chaff, lupins (whole & soaked), FFS & vit/min.
    He was getting adlib hay but pisses on it instead.
    So hay for lunch, then after dinner he's now going on the 6 acres of oat stubble with hay still on the ground then brought back in, in the morn for the day.
  15. hope_jordan

very fussy boy.
  16. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

My 20yo pony mare is in light work... gets 4 bikkies hay per day. That is being upped now the grazing quality is lessening.
    She gets nutri-rice veteran- both chaffs, FWM, equlibrium and copra!:)
    Looks a million dollars. Fed twice a day
  17. Talullah

Talullah Well-known Member

My 29 year old boy and my friends 27 year old both get:
    Lucerne Chaff and Oaten Chaff
    Pegasus Coolmax
    Celery Seed
    Flaked/crushed lupins

They both look about 10 years younger than they really are.
  18. Sooz2009

Sooz2009 New Member

Feeding old horses

Hi All
    My two old boys (27 and 32) get a mix of speedibeet, rebuild and basic nuts ..
    They both have teeth problems ie one has virtually none and the other still has some useful ones..
    They CANNOT digest hay of any sort, nor grass effectively, although that is not causing them any grief at the moment. the things to watch for in older horses are:
    * Weight loss due to lack of or inability to chew
    * Diarohhea particularly if it is chonic as this may suggest inability to chew / digest and may lead to significant weight loss if not dealt with.

If the horse is happily munching in the paddock and is fed regualrly and with enough feed there is no reason unless it had other health issues that it cannot last for years on this sort of a diet.

Both my horses are WORM FREE and maintiained that way.. being in a pasture where they are free to roam but protected by rugs if the weather turns nasty I'm sure they are enjoying a happy retirement as neither of them is ridden these days.
  19. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

I think "for once" everybody is giving great advice amd QUESS WHAT? No fighting or Picking on people YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Our old man lovessss his Hygain Senior but now is lacking teeth so finds it hard to chew it lol-not sure what we'll try now as he hated gumnuts!!