What do you do with old hay?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HalcyonStables, Feb 10, 2010.

1. How do you dispose of your old mouldy bales, leftovers in the stables, basically the hay you can't use?
  2. Nicnacs_Mistress

Nicnacs_Mistress Well-known Member

I use mine on my garden. It goes in the compost and when its ready it goes straight on the beds.

In saying that though, you HAVE to be really careful, try not to put straight hay on the beds or your horses will try to eat it. Which as most of you know can make them really sick.
    So COMPOST first. :)
  3. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Put them out for the cattle or goats!
  4. beau

beau Well-known Member

We put ours in with the Cows:):)
  5. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

We have burnt it in the cooler months. Composting is another great idea. Donate it to keen gardeners.
  6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I rotate my paddocks so before I got the pony I could throw the hay out onto bare patches in the paddock. I made sure the horses had access to an oversupply of hay so they weren't interested in the old stuff.

However with the pony I am not going to be able to do that as he is a mini hoover. So I will have to pick which paddocks I put the old hay into.
  7. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

its great for mulching in the garden!
  8. Tez 80

Tez 80 New Member

I too use it to mulch the garden,and my neighbours always have an eye on it and take it for their veggie patch,in return,they give us fresh veggies!
  9. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I have enough paddocks that I can rotate the horses around. I will put the hay in a paddock that is not in use and usually run the lawnmower over it to mulch it and spread it around. My horses are very food orientated and have never seemed to try to hover the scraps.
  10. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Pop it on sandy patches in paddocks or just throw it out over a paddock.
    I find the ponies don't touch the old mouldy hay when they have rolls of good quality hay available to them.
  11. pso

pso Gold Member

wheely bin
  12. brumby_78

brumby_78 Guest

compost and veggie patches :)
  13. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

on the garden :)
  14. kathera

kathera Active Member

build jumps :)
  15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Bedding for the chooks :).
  16. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

How are your chooks going arnie.. have they settled into their new home?
  17. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I agist, so never had this problem, but you could advertise it for garden mulch.
  18. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

well in 2008 we had 800 bales rot due to being bale while we were away on holiday and then left and not turned so we are going to put it in the dried saltlake which runs thru one of our paddocks.

it should trap any seeds and hopefully something will grow on the barren part of the paddock.
  19. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

we just put it out on the parts that are bare so that they can drop seed in these areas.

you will find that if ur horses are "fed" and not starving they will leave the mouldy hay alone. we never ever bother to shift horses out of the paddocks we put it out in. it is just the same as putting out rolls that have been in the weather.

in saying that tho, we havent had any spoilt bales in years.
  20. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Throw ours on the sandy patches of the paddocks (horses wont eat it) or in the chicken run and nesting boxes. The chooks love to scratch through it.