What Colour?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mysticmoondancer04, Oct 7, 2009.

1. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

I have a mini horse mare and was wondering what colour she is. I dont mind either way, its just out of interest.
    From memory on her rego papers it says cream, on another set it says palomino but she has very dark legs...so what do ppl think??
    Here are a few pics of her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

And as you know Emma, i own her Pali daughter & on Princess's papers Crystal is registered as a Buckskin on 1 Rego & Pali on another, lol.

3. mysticmoondancer04

Thats right... I knew there was buckskin somewhere on some papers lol just couldnt remember where!!
    And your girl is def very pally lol with no black bits :p
    Be interesting to find out exactly what she is

4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I wonder if she could be a very light buckskin / silver composite ?? These composites do mimic smutty palominos as the silver dilutes the manes and tails to cream or ivory but leaves the gold coat untouched and they often have the smutty lower legs.

DNA tests for silver and red factor would be the go.

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

From memory her dad is buckskin and some other mini people may be able to help you out with mum's colour (Bobby would know:) ):)* Like Remaani said she has both Pally ( I had only seen photos of her when she was very light when I filed these:eek: ) and Buckskin on her daughters papers. I would guess cream buckskin but DNA would be the only way to be sure:)*
    Redlan Crystal Rose Miniature

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks Tintara,

Will def be getting her colour tested just to find out what she is,... im just interested to find out. Im not fussed either way **)

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  8. mysticmoondancer04

Thaks heaps Goodie **) Thats really helpful
    Now to just find out what colour her dam was lol

9. Tintara

It is the cream mane & tail that point to there probably being a second dilution present other than creme. If she was a 'creamy coloured' buckskin those would still be dark or at the very least salt and peppery.

The filly below is a DNA verified buckskin silver dun. Her lower legs aren't as dark as the subject of this thread but that is most likely due to the dun which does mute the colour of the lower limbs. Once upon a time she would in all likelihood have been considered a palomino dun. Thank heavens for DNA testing.

[​IMG]

10. mysticmoondancer04

This is all very interesting.... Thanks Tintara... have all the forms for the colour testing so ill do that asap **)
    I think the results will be very interesting

11. Tintara

Be sure to let us know what the results are :D The way dilutions and other modifiers can completely alter the base colour of a horse or pony is always fascinating.

Incidentally, this horse IS a palomino dun; the similarity in colouring to the buckskin silver dun is quite remarkable.

[​IMG]

12. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I think your filly looks like a pally, but with sooty legs. Sooty seems to be more on the bottom side of the red based horses and more on the top side on black based, such as buckskins. Thus I have seen pallies before coloured like yours. I've even seen a pallies with black tails! Never a buckskin with a white mane though.

She could be silver buckskin, however quite often cream and silver don't mix all that well. Not like silver and dun, or cream and dun can anyway. I think if your filly was a silver buckksin she'd be a lot more obvious buckskin.
    Cheers

Danni

13. Dakotakdq

Dakotakdq New Member

i also think shes a sooty pally.