What colour will it be

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by myalla, Jan 6, 2012.

1. myalla

myalla New Member

Mare is a Burnt Buckskin and Stallion is a Chestnut Roan

2. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

From the Equine Colour Calculator site ( assuming burnt buckskin = smoky black)

Offspring Color Probability

8.33% - Smoky Blue Roan
    8.33% - Smoky Black
    8.33% - Buckskin Roan
    8.33% - Buckskin
    8.33% - Blue Roan
    8.33% - Black
    8.33% - Bay Roan
    8.33% - Bay
    8.33% - Palomino Roan

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Not sure what you entered lollyem, but I tried again because having a chestnut parent I was wondering why there was no possibility of a chestnut foal stated';' This is what I got..

14.58% -
    Buckskin Roan
    14.58% -
    Buckskin
    14.58% -
    Bay Roan
    14.58% -
    Bay
    8.33% -
    Palomino Roan
    8.33% -
    Palomino
    8.33% -
    Chestnut Roan
    8.33% -
    Chestnut
    2.08% -
    Smoky Blue Roan
    2.08% -
    Smoky Black
    2.08% -
    Blue Roan
    2.08% -
    Black

so my money is on chestnut colt**)

4. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

Elanda, you are right - I didn't scroll down far enough when copy/pasting - sorry it was late at night!!

8.33% - Smoky Blue Roan
    8.33% - Smoky Black
    8.33% - Buckskin Roan
    8.33% - Buckskin
    8.33% - Blue Roan
    8.33% - Black
    8.33% - Bay Roan
    8.33% - Bay
    8.33% - Palomino Roan
    8.33% - Palomino
    8.33% - Chestnut Roan
    8.33% - Chestnut

There ya go! (THo still different from yours Elanda....)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Burnt buckskin is different to smokey black, though. Burnt buckskin still has the Agouti gene, whereas smokey black does not. That would probably change the results from the calculator.

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Totally correct, AAH.

Myalla, do you know if the mare has a chestnut parent at all?

Or, has the mare ever had a chestnut foal herself?

Couple of questions to narrow down the options :p

7. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

lollem ,thanks for that link.
    using it for my mare, i have an 8.3% chance of black.
    go the minority!!!:D

seriously, what a great link.:)*

8. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Is that calculator really all that reliable??

I just put in my future foals parents details and it says I have a 58% of a bay and 30% of a chestnut, sire is chestnut, dam is bay however dams dam line is basically all chestnut, and with sire being chestnut....my chances of bay were slim I thought!

9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Beagle, that colour calculator can be a bit deceptive, particularly if you dont know the agouti status of your horse ;)

10. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Tarz, your mares dam is a chestnut, so your mare even though she is bay, carries a recessive chestnut gene (Ee).
    The sire of your foal-to-be is chestnut....so this gives you basically a 50% chance of bay and a 50% chance of chestnut.
    You have a miniscule chance of the foal being black, but it is totally dependant on the agouti status of the sire. As we know your mare carries at least one copy of agouti, being bay herself.
    If the sire of your foal has ever had a black foal, then that will give you some more of an idea what his agouti status is.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

No idea, he has no foals on the ground yet! His sire is chestnut and dam i'm not sure about

ETA: Lol Kiraspark now I look like i'm talking to myself :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  12. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Sorry I had to do a quick edit as I was thinking about the wrong horse!! lol

13. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Be nice if they colour tested him for Agouti. Then you'd know for sure what your chances are of getting a black........(wouldnt that be nice!) :)

14. katelol

katelol Guest

I've got one! Daddy is a black and mummy is a dark pally/borderline chestnut? Due in a week.

Daddy just sired a bay foal yesterday with a blonde chestnut.

15. Shonky

Shonky New Member

Just thought i'd share our stud's little colour story to show you that 'miniscule' chance can actually happen! Our stallion is grey from bay (Ee / Aa / Gg) and the mare is grey from buckskin (Ee / Aa / nCr / Gg) and the resulting colt is a very striking solid chestnut with blonde mane and tail, plus he carries no agouti (DNA colour ended up as ee / aa / nn / gg). According to the colour calculator, solid chestnut was a 3.13% chance and IT HAPPENED! We were stunned that he bypassed the 75% chance of being grey, let alone ending up being a colour that is pretty rare to find in their breed!

So your 8.3% chance might be small, but it's certainly not impossible!!! :))