What colour is this mare?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by KBS, Mar 18, 2008.

1. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

The question is about the mares colour. I know the foal can't be reg as a silver because of her blue eyes.
    The mare is going to be tested for Red, cream and silver.

2. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Foals often have blue eyes, so they may not be pinto blue. Give the foal a couple of months to see if they darken up a bit. Dilutes can have yellowy/green eyes too. From that one picture the foal looks like she has normal eyes to me. I'd still do the silver test on the foal, probably the agouti one too just to check her base colour isn't brown. I think both mare and foal look like they'll be registerable as dilutes as they are dilutes. JMO, of course I have nothing to do with UPWBDA to know the finer restrictions on registration!
    Cheers

Danni

3. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

The foal is 4 weeks old already. I took this photo this morning.

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Oh so cute!!! Looks like a choc taffy/black silver to me! Eyes look ok too from what I can see.
    Cheers

Danni

5. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

A lot of silvers are born with bluey coloured eyes and they darken over time. If the eyes are not sky blue or wall eyes chances are they are normal for silvers. Give her a few months and then maybe take her to one of the shows at Muchea and we'll have a look at them for you.

Are you talking about the mare's tests? Cream, silver & red are 3 that spring to mind.

6. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

I sent off the mares hair sample today. Now i just wait and see.