What colour is this mare?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by KBS, Mar 18, 2008.

1. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

One of my new mares is registered as a taffy, but she has a dorsal stripe. I want to register her dilute and am going to get her tested. We have been calling her duntaffy, but this is probably wrong.What does everyone else think? She is in foal to a pinto, due within 2 weeks.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. Aussie Rose

Aussie Rose New Member

I can't be positive but to me she looks dilute red dunn.

Good Luck, she'll through a beaut bubby regardless :)

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I'd say Red Dun but only because i know the mare (my good friend Lesley sold her to you).......
    Should be a nice foal, i like the stallion.

4. mineees

mineees Gold Member

to be a red dun she needs to have other characteristics.does she have any other signs?

5. Spotted Monster

Spotted Monster Active Member

Best person to ask is Janet for the curly ones - or check out the dun central website so many on there it's amazing all the different cololurs

Maybe would be a silver taffy dun??

For the record a red dun is almost the colour of Oakie (mineees stallion) and apricot dun isn't far from that. My pinto boy is an apricot dun but pinto of course but that is the paler orangey colour not the nicer red of Oakie.

Try the dun central website (link from the dilutes website) amazing picy's ont here and you might find one to match her

Cheers - M

6. Spotted Monster

looks like she has a slight face mask???? but I can't see any others??

7. paintedhoney

paintedhoney Well-known Member

I have a "red dun" and she is alot darker than Oakie. There are all different shades but i would not call this horse a red dun at all. I would call her a silver dun....maybe.

8. Spotted Monster

Maybe they said red dunn because of her legs?? maybe??? I realise red dun has a massive shade spectrum was just giving an example of Oakie because Mineees pic was above my comment. I've seen a red dun that was such a dark brilliant red it was almost mahogany in colour - just beautiful - then you have apricot which isn't as nice doesn't have the richness of the red's

I would say Silver or Silver Taffy Dun - maybe even a champagne dun - her legs do look coloured as does her face.

Won't know 100% without her beign tested.

9. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Certainly looks dun, but I can't see taffy (silver). I'd say a red dun too, which come in lots of different shades. What colour are her parents? Could she be a palomino dun?
    Cheers

Danni

10. paintedhoney

paintedhoney Well-known Member

maybe being a little blonde here and still learning about color genetics and stuff but a "red" dun, would that not have to have a element of chestnut or red pigment... I cant see red or anything similar on this mare....do i have to get my glasses checked again???*#)

11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hey KBS, it is over 2 weeks since you first posted this. Any signs of foaling????? Looking forward to pics:}

12. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

She had a filly, the same colour as her, but with blue eyes.:))

13. Kintara

Pictures....!!!!?

14. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

i will try to get new pics when it stops raining.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  15. BettyBoo

BettyBoo New Member

WOW what a pretty baby it is so cute, i wouldnt have a clue what colour

16. Kintara

Hey foal looks taffy! A bit more platinum look than mum? Maybe mum IS taffy then. I've only seen that one of her dorsal stripe.
    Cheers

Danni

17. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Foal is almost certainly silver and either black or brown going by that pewter colour. What colour pinto is the sire?

I've recently done a photo compilation for UPWBDA's mag on the effects of the various dilutions on the base colours and I came across a photo of a bay silver dun that you would have sworn was a darkish paly EXCEPT that she'd produced a straight bay to a red based sire. The silver had of course diluted her mane and tail and her black points and the dun had muted her coat to a yellow colour.

Have you had her DNA'd yet?

18. sylvasprings

sylvasprings New Member

I agree, Going by the pic the horse doesn't look anything like a red dun or a chestnut dun. I would be going with black silver dun or maybe a dunalino.
    Would need better pics than that one to be sure.
    I have known black silvers with dorsals before.

19. KBS

KBS Well-known Member

I've printed off the forms, but don't know what to test for. Silver obviously.Any others worth doing?
    The foals sire is a brown pinto. The foal has blue eyes so there is no real point in testing her, is there? She can't be registered dilute.

20. croft

croft Well-known Member

if she has blue eyes then no she can not be reg as a silver, i just inquired about that last week with the UPWBDA.