What colour is this horse really is?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Talkingshell, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Hey Guys...

I thought I would post after seeing that there is a new sub post for Colour Questions!:)*

I decided to put up some photos of my horse, of course most of you know who he is .....Cullen, my cheeky boy!

Originally Ariella has had him classified as Black/Bay on his registration paper. However....he still has black leg points, black tip ears and black mane/tail. Even though the bottom ends of his mane is brown but needs to be cut off. Also his coat is somewhat more of brown than bay, however it has gotten darker, going black I guess the season changes coming in to winter time!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have fun guessing to what colour he really is?

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

looks bay to me. the lighter mane-tips are just his foal mane :)

3. pso

pso Gold Member

ditto, same colour as mine, and he's regd black/bay...

guessing its a curly one tho!:confused: :D *#)

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I would say bay :)

The bay coat colour can be anything from very light to nearly black as long as it is a shade of brown :)*

5. madcow

madcow Guest

looks like a plain bay to me as well:confused:
    Is it a trick question maybe?:confused:

6. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

i would guess a grey maybe

7. baileys best friend

baileys best friend Active Member

skewbald???*#)

8. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

your point?????????? #(

TS - i reckon let him get a bit older before making a final decision........ he was much darker when you first got him hey

9. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

Come on guys this is a serious discussion on colour.
    People may need help with colours re ;registrations etc and don't need the smart comments thanks.
    We are thankful we have this new sub-category to ask these sorts of questions.Don't spoil it before it gets started.

10. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Another one for bay lol. :) @) They do change their colour from darker to lighter all the time when growing up.

11. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

thats what i mean - reckon he will keep lightening

12. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I'd call him a bay too :)* but this is spooky, when I saw that top pic of Cullen, my heart stopped dead in my chest, he could be the twin of a horse I used to own!! I had a crabbet arabian gelding with a head damn near identical to him, the star, the expression, everything. I have a pic (damn it is at my mum's, she has it framed on her dresser) of me on this gelding, it is a head and shoulders shot, and if you put a snaffle bridle on Cullen, bingo, Rooster :eek: Sorry just spluttered my tea all over the computer screen as I thought it was Rooster!!! :D Uncanny resemblance. Cullen is a lovely boy :).

13. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Thanks Heifer and yes I knew it was his foal mane colour tips!

Pso...heheheheh...a curly one ? I guess it does sound cool to be reg'd as black/bay rather than boring bay or brown lol:)*

Yes your right but it's confusing me really whether he is brown or bay lol...pppssst when are you going to give me your Diva!:D

Mmmm, yeah more of a trick question I guess lol

Oldhack, thanks for sticking up as I don't have time for members who play silly!

Yes that is what I was thinking as I am going to wait it out till he is around 2 before I decide what colour he really is - have to send his rego papers back to be amended to say he is gelding and change of colour to whatever it is!

Yep I suppose your right in this one....keeps on changing till they are fully grown I guess!

Wow....can you please post that photo you thought it really resemblances to Cullen?!

Lastly thanks Mod3 for your time in warning to behave themselves - would of hate to see this new sub thread go... brilliant idea!:)

14. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

TS, ask me again about Diva after this weekend :D

I would say definitely bay over brown :) His muzzle is too dark for a brown and so are his legs. And he is not a black... even a faded one :p

Doesn't matter how much darker he gets, I would still say bay :D A really handsome spunky one who is nice and dark so shows the dirt less :D

15. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Now Shelll.......if he isnt the colour you want I will happily take him off your hands:D

Lovely dark bay**)

16. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I haven't got a scanner, but I could take a pic of it and post it I guess, the quality wouldn't be that good but you will be blown away by the resemblance!! I will get it next time I'm at mum's and I'll post it for you :)* Cullen is growing into a beautiful boy!

17. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

When he was first born he was pretty dark.... then at a few days old to a few weeks old he was fairly bright red bay....

That coat shed out and he was VERY dark, which was about the time we registered him and listed him as a Black Bay - because as you guys may well remember - he was REALLY REALLY dark.....

Then he lightened up again! lol......

TS, I reckon this winter he will go Really dark again, and then lighten again during summer........

And yep, the bleached bits on the end of the mane are just his sunbleached foal mane! :)

He's a spunky monkey thats for sure though! :)

18. lil bec

lil bec Well-known Member

my first pony was close to that colour when he was a baby then he turned a steel grey

19. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

Lol, Lilbec - I can assure you that his dam is bay and his sire was bay....... :)

20. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Possibly mahogany bay which is the darkest shade of bay before brown. The Australian Stud Book identifies 'brown' as being when you can no longer distinguish between the black points on the legs and the body colour. I have 3 browns - one is a classic brown as per the above; she has black legs, shoulders, flanks, neck etc but lightens up over the ribs, one is a mealy 'black' - looks black but has a mealy muzzle and flanks and the 3rd is a true black brown - looks black but when you look really closely you can see that she just isn't 'quite' a true black.

Genetically, there is a theory that there are two different versions of agouti, which is the modifier that turns a black horse into a bay or brown by restricting the distribution of black pigment to the points. For instance, the version of agouti which causes the bay colouring is believed to be a lot stronger than the one which causes brown. So, a horse which carries the bay version will have almost all of its black pigment restricted to its points whilst a horse that carries the brown version will still have a lot of black pigment through its coat. However, as yet there is no DNA test available to prove or disprove this theory but it does make sense.