what colour is this foal

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Pepsea, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

should of said yearling, lol but im usto calling them foalies :p

some of you may know who she is and who her parents are

but i would like to know what colour you think she is without knowing her parentage

here she is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

She is a palomino that carries the smutt gene :)....that would be my guess :)

3. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

hrmmmmm interesting :D

4. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Either chocolate palomino or silver bay. Thats what I would say.

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I would say Silver, what breed is she as i know there is Silver in Riding Ponies.

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

she is a riding pony!

can silver be passed on without being a parents being silver? (eg like a throw back?)

7. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Taffy would be my guess.
    Let us know the parentage and if you really want to know for sure, get her colour tested.:D

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

shes not mine, so it's up to her owner to get her tested if she wants to know for sure. :D id like to know

ill tell her parents later tonight.... her sire is a stockies horse, and she is owned/bred by another stockies member

9. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

If one of her parents were chestnut then its possible, its not a throw back you just cant SEE silver on a chestnut.
    If she is silver, she would be a silver bay.

Its almost impossible to guess a horses colour on simply looking at it these days, unless you know the colour genes it came from, or have it colour tested!

10. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

her dam is a brown (Kirreway Welcome)
    her sire is a pally (Fairlight Acres Riverdance)

she was born quite normal chestnut from what i can remember, but now is this funky colour

11. nag

nag Well-known Member

this color here we were told could be bay silver but owner hasn't got him tested
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I would say smutty pally:)*

29.17% - Buckskin
    29.17% - Bay
    16.67% - Palomino
    16.67% - Chestnut
    4.17% - Smoky Black
    4.17% - Black

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  13. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thanx for theose % goodie, i did it as well before, she dosent fit into any of the colours properly tho does she LOL....
    i hadnt throught of her being a smutty pally, everyone says shes a chestnut

14. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Here is a photo of our girl.....a palomino who carries the smutt gene, which is why I thought she was the same

image[​IMG]

Goldie is still getting her full spring/ summer coat in this photo so she can smutt more than what this photo displays :)

15. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

We have a horse at our agistment that is that colour and they call him Taffy

16. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Years ago, before naming the colour of a horse got so complicated, I would have said she was a Taffy or Sorrel.

I notice nowadays, no one uses the name sorrel, perhaps its a NZ thing?

She looks quite buckskin-ish down her legs, but obviouly palomino up top.

Shes pretty what ever her colour.**)

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Ziggy I thought Sorrel was more akin to the standard chestnut than the photos of this horse ?
    But I admit to being completely confused. I can't keep up with the all new names for colours and their variations these days :confused:

This is a link to a thread Colibanqh posted a few days ago on her new colt.
    She calls him sorrel too. A very American term I always thought.

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/breeding-horses/55300-fully-imported-blood-wp-coliban.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009
  18. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Ziggyz, I think 'Sorrel' is an American term for a different shade of chestnut, but still a chestnut genetically - you still hear it used in the QH scene.

19. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

hehe this is me and emmas fave subject!!!
    Thanks for all the nice comments about her, this one really had me stumped for a while, she was born like she was going to be a straight chestnut and then when she was about 2 or 3 weeks old I noticed that she had little silver hairs in her mane.
    The thing about her which made me think she is a dilute is the barring on her legs and her dorsal stripe...
    Very interesting one I think it would be worth getting her tested just to see

20. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

She looks like a taffy to me, Id say either a silver dapple taffy or a chestnut taffy.
    Im thinking chestnut taffy as you say she was born chestnut and lightened as she grew.
    I think the silver ones may show the lighter silver in thier manes and tails from an earlier age.
    It looks like her legs will also lighten up more too.
    The chestnut taffy can have dapples too, but the silver dapple will have permanent dapples that dont change with diet or season.

pretty colour, will look lovely in her summer coat.