What colour is he?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by jc163041, Mar 17, 2011.

1. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

Hi

The below horse is my sisters rescue case. The pictures are quite old but he is still the same colour now and then. He has a dorsal stripe that you cant see in the pics. What colour do you think he is? He is an Arab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Dun?
    Can Arabs be dun?

3. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

Lol I dont know Diana. I always just say hes Roan Dun, cause i dont really know what he is. We were told he was Anglo arab, but we cant see any TB and he looks very similar to my sisters other pure arabs. He was a rescue case from dogger pens.

4. hellokitty

hellokitty Well-known Member

I think he is Grey and will go lighter with age.

5. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

Thanks hellokitty

We thought he was a grey at the start too but his colour hasnt changed in the over 2.5 years my sister has had him. She got him as a 4 month old and his is now just over 3.

6. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

juat bumping it up :)

7. I say grey as well. Some greys can appear to have quite a pronounced dorsal stripe before they grey out completely.

Also, with him not getting any lighter... Sometimes they stay quite dark for quite a long time, I know someone with a grey that is 4yo and still nearly black. And another person with a grey that has gotten no lighter since I met him a year or two ago. They all grey out at different rates.

8. definitely grey

9. mineees

mineees Gold Member

ditto,and his dorsal stripe isnt that dark,so not a dun...:)

10. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yep, thats definately a grey.:D

11. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Definitely a grey. He has goggles and as for the dorsal stripe my old part arab mare had a nice black one and it has lightened with age (she is now 7). Her dam was also born with a dorsal stripe and was thought to be dun until she greyed out too.

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

duns can be grey,they can have the grey gene and also the dun factor.But they still have to have the other primitive markings also.And they still have a 50% chance of not throwing grey and a 50% chance of throwing the dun factor.So from a grey dun parent you can get a solid dun foal...:)

13. jc163041

jc163041 New Member

awesome thanks for the replies.
    His dorsal stripe is actually quite dark I just havent got a good pic of it and the pics dont show it at all. thanks :)

14. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

if hes a arab or a anglo, he cannot be a roan, a dun etc. i say hes grey, some horses grey quickly, some take much longer

15. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Grey :)

I have a grey dun if you'd like to see a photo. They are VERY different to that boy! Haha

16. mineees

mineees Gold Member

yes please would love to see one.....**)

17. minimo

minimo Active Member

Definately a Grey...

18. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member