What Colour is he?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by PPH, Mar 17, 2008.

1. PPH

PPH Guest

Hi all,:)

Just wanted to get some other ppl's opinions on something.

My stallion Hootch is registered as brown/black in colour, but I have long been suspicious that he is a burnt buckskiin or something to that effect.
    It is not difficult to change but I am no colour expert and would like to know what others think.:)

Below are some pics taken today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So does this count as a dorsal stripe or not and if so does anyone know what colour he would be?

Thank you and all advice and information appreciated.

Cheers
    BM

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

id say bay. my old horse had a strong dorsal strip and was def. bay

3. pso

pso Gold Member

Whoa! Thats a butt!**)

now I've got that song stuck in my head!:p *#)

Sorry, cant help on colour...what colour were his sire and dam, and has he thrown coloured foals?:)

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Buckskins do not have dorsal stripes... or at least they can but it is not a requirement :p Any colour horse can have one... I have a grey with a strong dorsal stripe and a friend's red bay mare had a very dark dorsal stripe.

If one of his parent's is a dilute then he may be a buckskin but the only way to know for sure is to get a DNA test (costs around $40 from memory) or have him throw a dilute foal from a non-dilute mare :)

Unless you are planning on showing him in colour classes though it really doesn't matter and most people would look at you strangely if you call him a buckskin even with proof :D

5. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

Id say hes a black/brown...the same as my boy. Will get very darker in winter months :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

He is not a buckskin, and looks like a bay, although if anything he could be a dun, with that dorsal stripe, but he doesnt appear to have any other traits so I'd say its not likely. a colour DNA test will be able to tell you for sure.

7. PPH

PPH Guest

Thanks Guys.:)

i was mostly curious but know very little about the dilute genes and colours.

Cheers BM:))

8. tsararab

tsararab Active Member

i say he is bay as well

9. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

There are a couple of giveaways which tell me straight away that he not a true dun.

The primary one from these photos is that there is no frosting at the top of the tail. Duns usually exhibit tufts of tail hair at the top of their tail which is the SAME colour as their main body colour. Buckskins can also exhibit this BUT it is usually cream in colour in keeping with the effects of cream on red pigment ie if they were bay the hair would be a reddy colour but because they carry cream, it has diluted the red pigment to a cream colour.

I also doubt if he is buckskin – bay would be my choice but a lovely shade of bay nevertheless.
    **)

10. Spotted Monster

Spotted Monster Active Member

Hey Tintara - He is like my little miniature with the dorsal stripe??? you remember him - he came back testing bay if I remember - same though very strong dorsal stripe but is a pretty bay all the same.

and yes agree very shapely hiney you pony has there!!!!