What colour is a"smokey black"

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by milzenzab, Oct 4, 2010.

1. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

Well. I am not sure on what a "Smokey black" horse looks like. Could you all please place photos of them for me????????????

2. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

I own a smokey black, will try get photos (she had an awful clip job when i got her but its almost all gone)

the Dilute (cream gene) is responsible for smokey black when acting on a black horse eg.

Chestnut + Cream Gene = Palomino
    Bay + Cream Gene = Buckskin
    Black + Cream Gene = Smokey Black

two copies of the cream gene (eg both parents are dilute and pass on the modifing gene) gives you your

Chestnut + 2 Cream Genes = Cremello
    Bay + 2 Cream Genes = Perlino
    Black + 2 Cream Genes = Smokey Cream

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Intersting colour. In those photos (especially the yearling ones) you could be mistaken for calling her a liver chestnut.

5. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Hi ZAZA as Webby said it is horse or pony that is Black with one Cream Gene

smokey black is more commonly called black buckskin, they very a bit a colour shades but most ive seen are brown to black in colour...you can find more info at wa buckskin assoc. website..... i copied a little bit for you i hope i'm allowed to do that:D

Q. Why does the WABA use the term 'Black Buckskin' were in the US they use the term 'smokey black' ?

A: The term Black Buckskin was first used in the WABA Colour Appendix in 1978. We have registered 'Black Buckskins" since then and see no reason to change. A Black Buckskin is just as much a buckskin as any other shade of buckskin and the WABA feel it is the best discriptive name for the colour. Black Buckskin is the term used by all Buckskin registrys in Australia and in the UK.

6. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

OMG. That is the most beautiful horse I have ever seen.....
    It is a bit like a "chocolate" colour........
    I have just put a mare in foal, that is meant to throw a Smokey black Tobanio as one of the 3 colours. And I had no idea what it looked like.....
    THank so much for your help.

7. samm

samm Gold Member

This is a smokey black.Telltale sign with smokey black(cream+black gene) over Cream+Bay Dilution is eye colour.Smokey blacks are often born with teal colour eyes as this filly was as a baby.
    [​IMG]

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Yep, I get that ;) but without knowing a horses breeding/parentage, you could be forgiven for thinking the horse was another colour.

9. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

This is my favourite smokey black! :D

[​IMG]

10. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

This is a pic of my smokey black, wasn't sure of her colour at first so I got her colour tested to be sure.

[​IMG]

She still has different coloured eyes more greyish/blue and her summer coat is coming through very dark.

Regards

Sue

11. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Is she a 2010 foal Sue ? I have two similar colours with the teal eyes.

12. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Hi Dollar no she is a 2009 foal. Her new coat is almost black/dark brown, I suggest you get yours colour tested as thats the only way to be sure, I hate guess work **)

Regards

Sue