What Colour? Grullo?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by silversiskan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. silversiskan

silversiskan New Member

Hi all,

This is the first baby I have ever seen born this colour and someone suggested he might be Grullo. Does anyone know about Grullo's and if this might be possible.

His dam is a Percheron x ASH and the Sire was an ASH (dark brown/black). There is history on both sides of paranteage of Black, Dun on sires side, Palamino on the dams side.

This foal (Athos we called him) does have what appears to be zebra striping on his face & ears, inside of back legs and top of rump, along with a dorsal stripe from his mane through to around half way down his tail.

He also has large black stripes or patches on the inside of his front white socks.

He is an unusual colour and I was wondering if anyone else had seen a baby born this colour.

Thanks for looking, any thoughts would be most appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What color was the mare when she was born (before she greyed out)?
    the foal looks like a smokey black.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I have no idea about colour but he is very nice!:D

4. silversiskan

silversiskan New Member

Hi Colibanqh,

Unfortunately I don't know what colour the dam was born as we brought her at 18 months of age and then she was a very dark blue dapple grey. I presume from her dark blue dappling that she had that she would have been born black as she never had any other shades of colour through her coat.

5. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

he is beautiful!!!
    from what i know the spidering and striping and dorsal stripe indicate dun, he could be a black dun??? not sure bout the gruello.. mayb nannoo will see this thread - his little one is gruello...

6. silver:D
    You have mentioned palominos on her side. Cr gene gets expressed only on red hairs and doesn't affect black ones. So if your mare has one palomino parent and was born black, she might still carry a Cr gene and her baby might be a smokey black.

7. silversiskan

silversiskan New Member

Shadows' Dam was Black and her Dam was Palamino.

It is all very confusing, this little guy is probably just going to be Grey:)

8. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Parents can only pass on to their offspring genes that they actually carry themselves. Genes do not skip generations – if neither the mare nor the stallion carry any dilutions then the foal won’t either**). Doesn’t matter how many duns, palominos etc there are in the pedigree – the modifiers that cause those dilutions must be carried by at least one parent in order for him to have inherited them.

There was a thread just recently about a foal with some very striking ‘primitive markings’ but they weren’t dun factors – a lot of foals are born with these markings and they are thought to be a camouflage mechanism left over from primitive times (like baby deer have).

As Coliban says, the mare could quite easily be a black buckskin ‘underneath’ the grey if she had a palomino parent, in which case the foal could be too and that would account for his funny colouring.

9. silversiskan

silversiskan New Member

Thank you Tintara,

Your response has cleared things up for me and I have been studying a site called Dun Central Station, which shows and explains the difference also, including pictures of actual duns and look'a'likes, from foals to adults.

It will be nice to sit back and watch him change colour as he gets older and see what we end up with. He is going to be a beauty any way.

Thanks for everyones help.