What colour does she look like?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CaityTB, Jan 27, 2011.

1. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Hey All,
    I just bought a 3mth old filly foal of unknown breeding. Her mother is 12-13hh and she is already 10hh and untouchable. My question is, what colour does the mother look? Shes an odd colour to me, but very pretty.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    She has chestnut roaning (looks like) Through her butt and tail...
    I have no idea what colour she was at birth. The little chestnut is my new baby =) (Take a quess at their breed combo's too if you want guys)
    Thanks

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Looks to be chestnut going grey:)* Congratulations on your new baby:))

3. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Thanks Elanda.I wonder if my baby will grey out like her dam..
    she appears to be going a very dark chestnut on her neck and face where shes beginning to lose the baby fuzz.

4. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Mum is grey and will continue to grey out as she ages, she will end up almost completely white. If your foal is going grey she will also do the same thing,gradually turning grey as she ages. Some grey out fast, some do it very gradually :)

5. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

That similar to a strawberry roan - they have chestnut flecks and will eventually grey out completely - it's what Belle did (shes in my avatar) and two years after i sold her i saw her at Serpy the other day and she almost grey :( A shame because she was prettier when she was darker :D

I'm thinking riding pony somewhere in her - because the shape of her head and her natural comformation!! Cute foal BTW!

6. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Tammyprez, the horse in your avatar is not a roan, it is a grey the same as caityTB's mare - grey horses are born solid colored and grey out over time. Roan horses have a roan body but their head and legs are solid and stay solid.

7. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Thank-you all guys. Should make it clear the I don't currently own the mare, only the filly. I would love to own her as she is an amazing looking girl, completely wild, but pretty. Any other guesses on breed? Almost certain now she has Arab in her somewhere, as all her paddock mates came from the same place and have arab in them... :/
    My filly has no sign of greying in her as of yet, she is still completely solid coloured, with her little white back legs and little white star. But she is only 3mths old yesterday...

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Must be just the photo, she looks to be greying around the eyes, that's why I said she was greying;)

9. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Elanda, I did notice that after you meantioned it! She does appear to be dark skinned, she has a very fine coat over her face. She had her first ever halter put on today and boy did she hate it!!