What colour do you think?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by littledude, Apr 15, 2008.

1. littledude

littledude New Member

I have a mini that I am curious as to what colour people think she is. She is registered as a chocolate silver taffy and I assumed she is a silver black, but I have recently seen a couple of minis that look exactly like her that are genetically silver bay. Her sire is brown and her dam is the same colour as her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts appreciated :)

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I had a colt i gelded that was the exact same colour.
    He was reg with UPWBDA as Brown Silver.

She's a nice mare, whats her breeding?

3. littledude

littledude New Member

Thanks, her breeding is nothing special. She is by Willow Springs Stirling out of Mayfern Silveraine Waitkita.

4. Pilgrim795

Pilgrim795 New Member

SHe looks to be a silver taffy to me, mybe send photos to UPWBD association

5. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

she looks like a chocolate silver taffy to me. If she is registered as a chocolate silver taffy then that is most likely her colouring. Sorry, the last sentence sounded rude, she is lovely looking though

6. littledude

littledude New Member

Yes, chocolate silver taffy sounds nice, but what does it mean genetically?? It is just a fancy name for silver.

Just because a horse is regestered a particular color doesn't mean they are that color.

Thank you for your input :)

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Check this out: Animal Genetics

Ok, he's the Silver's i've had.

Silver, reg as a Brown Silver (Taffy is an American term)... notice his different coat colours, as a foal, clipping, summer, winter etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

And this is Smokey, we never UPWBDA reg him, or had him colour tested. His sire is a son of Silver's sire.

Im told he was Black Silver?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Actually Ky, "taffy" is an aussie term and is just our slang for the Silver gene.

Your girl is definitely Silver, but as to the base colour, I would say bay or brown - aka chocolate, so in a way, yes the rego is correct, just the terminology is not accurate.

to be genetically a Black Silver she would need to carry the same black gene that is found in regular black horses, and one of her parent would also need this gene. Its possible that her dam carries it, but with a brown sire I would lean more towards her being brown.
    Genetic testing can verify if you want to know for sure.

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Really? wow, i got told that by someone involved with the Society. ;)

11. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Its not USA or UK, they use "silver" - which is correct. only Aussie rego's use the term Taffy.
    I was on a USA/UK based forum and they recognise Taffy as the Aust term for silver.

12. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

hey is her name holly by any chance?

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thats strange that an Aust Colour Society use the term "Silver" then isnt it? ;) Silver with Taffy in brackets. :p
    Silver Register

Anyway, back to the question, littledude, i'd say Brown Silver.

14. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

LOL Kylie, first paragraph reads:
    But yes, back to the topic at hand :p

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yes i did read that, in fact i've read it many a times prior to reg a horse as a Silver.
    But the title on the papers/forms etc is Silver..... so maybe thats saying something hey?
    I hardly hear the "Taffy" name nowadays.

16. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Thats coz Oz is finally catching up with the rest of the world!

ETA: - I think that since UPDBWA (or whatever order they are:p) began accepting silver rego's they have used the correct terminology - its most other breed societies that accept and use taffy, but these days most now also accept both.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  17. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

In the dim dark ages when the ASSP society was first formed, Timor bred ponies were used in a few breeder's pedigree's and only the term Taffy was used then :D

my stallion was registered as a chestnut taffy!!

18. littledude

littledude New Member

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I guess I will go with brown silver. Now I have a better idea what color foal to expect from her this year. I may eventually get her tested as her different coat colours are comparable to both the other horses shown in their darker versions. I'm curious now to see what she would look like clipped.

Thanks again peoples, your opinions are much appreciated :)*

19. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Bany on Sassy.... **)

When UPWBDA set up their silver register the board made a deliberate decision to use the name that is common everywhere else in the world, including with all the labs that provide DNA tests for silver. The (taffy) in brackets is included purely as a reference point for anyone who may not realise that they are one and the same thing.

Black and brown silvers can be hard to tell apart. A DNA test for agouti will distinguish between the two though - if the horse carries agouti it is brown, if it doesn't it is black. Some black silvers are very obvious - they are almost coal black with silvery white manes and tails. Some say that the browns are more likely to have dapples whilst the blacks generally don't but I have seen DNA verified blacks with dapples so ..............

Remaani - I would agree that your other silver is very likely black.

Littledude - yours is probably brown so the correct terminology would be 'brown silver' or 'brown taffy' depending on what you want to use. Silver dapple taffy is just a double up of terminology.

20. sylvasprings

sylvasprings New Member

I think the horse's colour is a typical of black silver or the old term of , chocolate taffy. that is silver on black.:)
    Brown has not been determined to be different from bay yet and it is definitely not a bay silver.