What colour do you recon?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by nuggy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nuggy

nuggy Well-known Member

This is my little shetland pony. Im pretty confused... not sure if he is steel grey, blue roan, i've even had burnt buckskin suggested to me. So i decided to put it to the experts.
    as you can see he has black stockings, goes almost grey in summer and black in winter. and he has chestnut in his mane. His mum was pure white and his dad was a piebald and his dads line has a lot of piebalds and skewbalds.
    anyway enough talking, heres what you really need.... PICCIES :p

saying good morning (Summer coat)
    [​IMG]

a disgusting winter coat!
    [​IMG]

losing his winter coat to be all pretty again :)
    [​IMG]

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Looks to be going grey - especially with a grey parent :)
    Could be roan though, his head is dark like a roan.
    How old is he, and have you had him since a foal, if you have what colour was he born?

3. mineees

mineees Gold Member

I would say absolutely roan...:)...but on saying that how old is he and are his parents reg shetties,as I know there was only one Roan shettie stallion over here and he is now in SA.And he is/was the only one in WA...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

looks grey to me:)*

5. nuggy

nuggy Well-known Member

He has just turned 5 in dec. Yes both parents are reg. And i've had him from a weanling. He was born jet black then started going a browny colour as a weanling before losing that baby fluff and going light. Those pictures are from him as a 4yr old but he is exactly the same still. Not any more grey.

What was the name of the roan?

6. nuggy

nuggy Well-known Member

His family tree has the following colours...

[​IMG]

On his papers his adult colour has been put as bay/grey. Now this might make me sound nieve but is bay/grey a colour or they just thought he could go either way????

7. mineees

mineees Gold Member

means born bay going grey,he can only be a roan if he has roan parents,so he must be going grey,which he will lighten over the years...Some can take many years to go white...:)