What colour chestnut?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Cav, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Hi,

My foal now has very dark rings around his eyes. There is what looks to be brown/black & Chestnut hairs there but he was born light chestnut. Any ideas whether he will go dark or stay the colour he is in the pics? Mum has thrown 3 chestnut foals now to chestnut stallions - the previous 2 went liver. She was born chestnut out of grey mare to Black/Brown stallion and breeding on the foals sires side is all chestnut - grandsire liver chestnut. Full brother to mum was Black/Brown. Foal has light legs but dark patches appearing down the back of his hind legs?? Clipped a small section off his shoulder to see what colour underneath and still light chestnut as per foal coat (hasnt begun to shed foal coat yet).

I added a pic below of him at 2 weeks - you can see no colour change around the eyes or on his nose as per first pics I posted....Ohhh I would love it if he was going to be liver!!

??? He certainly has me a little confused at present ?? :confused:';'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Cav

Cav Gold Member

This is a photo of him at 2 weeks old so you can see he hadnt started to change around the eyes....
    [​IMG]

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I'd be interested in seeing pics of him losing more coat. :)*

It's interesting as i've just purchased a Welsh A filly (not yet weaned) whom is chestnut, was as "red" as your boy but now after losing her foal coat, she's a purply/black... lovely against the blue eye!
    I'm curious if she'll change shade again back to the "red" coat.

4. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Oh Remaani Im so glad you posted, Im hoping more will to, he totally has me confuzzled about his colour and I want to get his regos in and done but cant until I know for sure what colour he will be.

Dont get me wrong i am in no way complaining, I love darker colours, and I am secretly hoping he will go liver!!!

Ill post more pics as he changes in this thread then but for now....wanna have a guess? :)

Remaani is this the colour you are talking about ?....I had this Welsh B mare in my care to show years ago and she had a blue eye too and was also born "red"...stunning colour she turned out!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Have you seen this site Color Calculator
    It's very interesting, I had lots of fun "making" foals. I didn't realise just how many different colours there are in the horsey world :)

6. Pinkie_Pie

very cute foal btw :D

7. Cav

Cav Gold Member

thanks pinkie pie, I got:

Offspring Color Probability

50.00% - Gray (Chestnut)
    50.00% - Chestnut

Well my foal HAD to be chestnut, there was no other colour he could have been. Im just wondering if the mare or stallion as thrown back to pick up a liver chestnut???

How the hell do you even get a liver chestnut??

:confused:';'

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Thanks, his name is cookie :)

9. Pinkie_Pie

I have no idea about breeding colours I just stumbled upon that site and had a play around. Maybe "chestnut" covers liver chestnut as well? I didn't see liver chestnut as an option in the colours so maybe it won't be a result? I had a friend that had a red chestnut in winter then a liver chestnut in summer (or was it the other way around?!). I have a feeling, just by looking at the pics and having no knowledge of things like this whatsoever, that he might go liver :)

Cookie suits him :) Great name :)

10. JSP

JSP Well-known Member

he is such a cutie cav :)*

my now yearling filly was born the same colour as yours, lost her foal coat and went dark liver like the colour around your guys eyes. She is now bright orange at 12 months old :)

Your guys eye lashes are quite orange so that may be a better indiction of what colour he'll end up......? ';' sorry not much help!

all the chestnut foals i have had to date have gone liver when they drop their foal coats, and have ended up quite "orange" as mature horses.This years foal has gone a real cherry red colour now shes lost her foal coat so i am interested to see if she will darken like her mother.

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

liver chestnut is not a colour, it is a shade of a colour (usually red based with smut gene )**) Quite often is foal is born light they will go dark. Not many that are called liver are really that dark, most are dark chestnut...either way very pretty foalie cav:)*

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Thanks Elanda. Id like to know either way what colour to expect (if its even possible to work out) because we all know breed societies like to have the correct information :)

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I thought it would just be chestnut that went on papers regardless of shade';'

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I had to put a mare down once as liver chestnut turning grey...then had to change her to rose grey....they said they had never heard of it. my understanding of a rose grey was a horse that would never be completely grey/white, they would always have their base colouring.

Ive seen many ponies who are liver with "liver chestnut" on their paperwork. I even had a RP i didnt breed who was on his papers "liver chestnut"(which he was).

who knows aye??? :p

15. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

im not to sure on colours... but it looks like someone has been in their mums makeup and has a major case of panda eyes and smudged lippy *#)

16. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Hhaahaha ur funny farfromhome :) Definitely no makeup on this pony....YET :)

17. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

very spunky regardless **)

18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

cav thats one very NICE foal you have there **)

As to colour, I don't know, but I thought 'Liver- Chestnuts" came from a Black gene in the blood somewhere **)

This Grey dominate..Recessive Chestnut- isn't 100% as I know of a few Grey to Grey breedings- with Chestnut foals { not mine thou bugga }

Cheers
    Lee

19. Kate O

Kate O New Member

That would be because both grey parents would have been heterozygous for the grey gene...which would give 25% solid (in this case, a chestnut), 25% homozygous grey, and 50% heterozygous grey.

20. Cav

Cav Gold Member

this was rose grey to chestnut....dam produces solid colour foals to solid colour stallions (thats all shes been bred too) but her sire is black/brown and her full brother was black/brown unlike her. So wondering if he will go liver and has picked up the black/brown from the grandsire??