What can a shoe tell you...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by retroremedy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

sil, why do you say toe in? I thought if a horse was toe in (pigeon toed), it's gait goes outwards and then inwards, causing the foot to land on the outside toe causing excessive shoe wear on the outside quarter.

These shoes are more worn on the inside, so I would say toe out such that the foot moves inwards then outward resulting in the horse landing and breaking over on the medial aspect of the toe. This creates excessive wear on the inside quarter of the shoe.

2. sil

sil Gold Member

It could be - I'm no expert!

3. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

LOL, me either! Just trying to learn more :D

4. sil

sil Gold Member

I'm thinking the hoof may twist to the inside and that's what's causing the wear, if the horse is toed in behind, especially if there is jumping involved.

5. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Go for it Sil, you don't need my permission!! :)

6. sil

sil Gold Member

Okay but not until you tell us about the last shoes you posted..~~~!!!

7. retroremedy

No worries....

You lot are getting extremely good and most of the problems picked up!

This is another example of a poorly fitted and shaped shoe! I was particularly impressed with GTD who noted that the shoe looked elongated because you are spot on, this shoe has been shaped so there are no quarters left in the shoe. I can demonstrate this by this following photo. Here is one of the shoes and a Kerkhart Hind size 4 (I don't have any St Croix to take a photo of but this should give you the idea of a similar type of shoe and the Kerkhart brand is known to be a very well shaped shoe).

[​IMG]

The Kerkhart is on the left and I have pointed out the quarters so you can compare them and you will see how they are barely there in this set of shoes. The quarters have to be there for the horse to function properly!

I would not say this shoe is necessarily too small, it is just poorly shaped and fitted.

Now to hoof balance...this is a little hard to judge because we have another factor to consider which makes the evidence for this a little murky....the soundness of this horse. Look at the toes on these shoes and examine the excessive wear....these shoes were on for 6 weeks and the toes are gone :eek: One of shoes is worse than the other, while both breakovers are off centre, one is very bad. This suggest the horse is dragging its feet and the off centre appearance of the breakover suggest this horse is "rope walking" with its hind feet (stepping one foot in front of the other) and not using a normal gait...with one foot worse than the other. All this suggests that this horse has MAJOR backend problems....maybe fetlock, hock, hip etc issues.

Comments, questions and opinions welcome :) People can stick up there own examples too....this is not my thread!!

8. sil

sil Gold Member

wow awesome RR that would explain them perfectly! I'm really enjoying these shoes :D

Okay here's my curler. This is a real shoe, custom made. What do you think it was made for?

[​IMG]

9. retroremedy

hmmm definitely doesnt attached to a horse LOL, it is very well made and is either decorative or very useful for something!!!

This is like the mystery object on the Collectors....cool!!

10. sil

sil Gold Member

Just to make it even more curly, it does definitely attach to a horse...!

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Crikey Sil!

Those bars are on the inside? So so do you get the hoof on the actual shoe? It's impossible. Unless the are moveable?

Or maybe that's the point, and it's to hold the hoof together while the glue dries (as in, the hoof is very brittle and falling apart)?

Lol, i got no idea!

12. retroremedy

I am sure it could attach somewhere but it couldnt be nailed on a hoof...surely unless part of the contraption is removable ';'. Whoever made it was a very very skilled!!

13. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

A framework to support a horse to grow a new hoof, who has lost most its hoof as in an injury?

14. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Yes this!
    And the hoof has had to be built around the framework, until the new hoof grows?

15. sil

sil Gold Member

Trojane nailed it :) This shoe was designed for a horse that had had the front part of its hoof torn off. Having it custom made not only allowed the hoof to be supported, but the shoe could be made to suit the horse's gait as per usual. The shoe was made for a show the next day and the horse went on to compete as normal without issue.

16. retroremedy

Incredible Sil!! Can you take a photo of it from behind looking down it and one from underneath?!

17. Anna E

Anna E Guest

That's amazing..
    I thought initially it was one of Robert Eustace's shoes for laminitic ponies (he used to resect vast amounts of the front of the foot to relieve the pressure on the swollen laminae - it was a HORRILE surgery).

18. sil

sil Gold Member

Unfortunately that's the only angle I have!

Here's one more from me and then hopefully someone else can chip one in:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  19. retroremedy

A corrective shoe that is side weighted that may be used on a horse that may move close and will change the way the horse moves???

It is actually not a very good shoe as it totally lacks any heel support...the heels are so narrow!!

20. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Actually my first guess was an instrument from the museum of medieval torture.
    Then I remembered the thread about an awful hoof accident, where someone said a "survival" shoe may be possible.

Amazing this was so effective the horse could walk, let alone compete! :)