What can a shoe tell you...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by retroremedy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Bizarre how shoe Number 1 has been bashed for a very wide foot? The foot maybe is quite flat? or flares havent been taken off properly. There also seems to be some scraping on teh shoe which might suggest that the shoe was loose and twisting a bit...or that the horse paddled quite prodominately.

The pony's shoe is definitely longer on the inside wall....looks like maybe they were trying to correct something....straighter moving horse for sure

I have no idea really lol....but like this conversation**)

2. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i think your farrier is doing a good job as he is shaping the shoe to the hoof... not the other way round :)

my farrier ill keep using as hes not only a good farrier- but a good perve too ;)

3. madcow

madcow Guest

Polo pony either had freakishly small feets or was wearing unicorn sized shoes that were too small for it.';'

Or....polo pony had some funky club foot type of deal going on?

I'd post a pic of some of my horses shoes however they are being used for about the 3rd shoeing in a row now and still look as good as new. What would that tell you about my horses?:eek:

ETA EC who is your farrier? I have the best farrier ever however he's not really a good perve at all....stories of him wearing lycra scare me infact

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

or has very upright or clubbed foot';'

5. madcow

madcow Guest

LOL ....just went in and added that one at the same time you posted it (great minds think alike)

6. Excelsior Centerpiece

my farrier is matt smailes hahahahaha

i think even wee has a crush on matty!! he tries not to show it tho.. hes doing the whole- treat em mean keep em keen vibe....

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

thank you for an interesting thread RR. Always good to learn something new.

8. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

A farrier in lyrca???? Noooooooooo!!!! (um where?)

As for shoes - can't add much to the great observations made already (great game too, thanks RR).
    I presume polo pony endures a lot of torsion with stopping and turning at speed, and thus more shoe movt expected in that shiny front outside-fore heel area?

Also unless Pony-pony is a gypsy, more weight on shoes in #1 which increases wear?

9. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I am so challenged when it comes to shoeing but were all three shoes the same size when they came out the packet? To look at them you would not think so at all.

Do they cut the end of the shoe off if it hangs over the heel a bit to stop it being 'overreached' onto or do they choose a smaller sized shoe when it is too long?

Is the one off the polo pony a hind foot shoe? It looks elongated more like a hind foot sometimes does.

Sorry for all the dumb a$$ questions it has been a long time since I had a shod horse. BTW A farrier in lycra aaaaghhh! Now your scaring me. Maybe trimming my own is not so bad after all!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

#1 club hoof
    #3 contracted heels
    ???

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

If the hoof is misshaped or has excessive flaring, this needs to be removed. Or else you're never going to get rid of cracking, brittle hooves if you don't try to get the hoof back to some sort of correct shape.
    Just because a horse had flaring, and uneven hoof growth, etc for 10yrs, doesn't mean it's correct.
    My horse had huge amounts of flaring, cracking and bits of hoof breaking off. He was also twisting as he walked because of uneven growth and flaring, and causing himself back pain. And the only way it was corrected was by rasping away the flaring, and balancing his feet up again.

So i only agree with this statement in so far as an already correctly shaped and balanced hoof goes.
    I would not want my farrier or trimmer just saying to me 'that's how he is', and shaping a shoe to fit dinner-sized, flared and uneven hooves.

So yes, it seems both shoes are being banged to fit the foot, but i don't believe either foot in either horse has been particularly well balanced.

Maybe the polo horse has small feet? Flared, but small.
    And also, i don't know about the sport. Some sports horses are trimmed and shod for a particular reason. Maybe that's how they're shod, smaller shoes to accommodate the sport, quick turns etc. Maybe that's why they leave more width? ';'
    If it's not that, then i still say the polo's feet are flared.

The pony..? Umm, well, yeah the shoe's uneven. Again, maybe it's just the shape of the hoof, and there's nothing that can be done because it walks in some wierd way to have made the hoof grow longer and straighter on one side. Maybe due to an old injury? Twisting as it lands or takes off maybe?

Or again, it's a case of the foot not being balanced correctly, and the farrier just rasping a bit and wacking on a shoe.

I've no idea what size shoes a 14h pony would wear, but maybe this pony's hooves are a little long?
    No idea.

12. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

Yep I agree Cornflower.

I think my 15.3hh TB was in a size 4 when he was shod (maybe, it was awhile ago???). He doesn't have big feet. So it does seem like the 15.3 polo horse has small feet, that are very wide (possibly flared)! As you say though I don't know if there is a reason for perhaps using a smaller shoe to accomodate the sport, I shouldn't think anyone would want to use a shoe that is too small and then widen it to make it fit, but who knows...

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

yes yes i know that but there are also many farriers who reshape hoofs to fit the shoes on or to make them a nice even neat hoof shape when its not right. in doing this they stuff your horses feet up!
    thats what i ment.... each horses hoof is differnt and by the looks of this farrier- he accomidates each horse.
    he might need to make changes, but they arent going to happen over night.

14. madcow

madcow Guest

I hope RR comes back soon as I want to see if I've won a prize:D

15. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

EC - i know what you mean, and i used to agree 100%.
    But after seeing my own horse's feet, i only agree with it to a point.
    My boy's feet went from large flares to normal feet in 1 trimming. It didn't happen overnight. It happened in about 10min ;) From what i saw, it's a pretty easy thing to fix.
    Other stuff, like the way a horse walks (my horse twists on his left hind) does take a little more time. But that foot with my horse was much better in only a few raspings. It simply doesn't take as long as i used to think it would. And it takes a confidant and knowledgeable trimmer/farrier to tell you it's wrong and do something about it.
    My horse's feet were the product of a farrier shaping the shoe to fit his hoof. Overlong toes, underrun heel, massive flaring, and twisting on that hind. And even my first barefoot trimmer didn't do anything about it. It took a lovely trimmer to have the guts to tell me it's wrong, and fix it within a few trims.

16. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Maybe it would be interesting to turn the shoes over and have a look on the other side as well.

17. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Very impressive replies! Now here are my observations and I am going to start with Horse Shoe #2 as the evidence on this shoe points to a pretty good example while evidence on Horse Shoe #1 points to a shoe with a number of problems (which has pretty much been observed by lots of very clever people).

Here is Horse Shoe #2, I don't have a very super editing program for photos so you will have to survive my pretty average colour coded arrows.

[​IMG]

First up, this is a NS not OS fore, so apologies for that....you can tell by the very slightly longer length in the lateral (LHS) side of the shoe.

Now I am lucky, I have the shoes in front of me, which gives me a huge advantage over a photograph but observations of this shoe provide evidence it is a good size selection for the horse and has been applied to provide good support to the horse and has been applied to a generally well balanced hoof.

So what evidence allows me to make this call.....
    1. The general evenness of wear..and not excessive wear
    2. The blue arrows indicate the areas that have been provided for support. The blue arrows at the heels of the shoe START at approximately the point of last contact of heels of the foot (the green arrow indicates this point as well) and the direction of the blue arrows shows the support provided by the shoes to the heels over the length of time between shoeing....ie as the foot grows this extra length at the back continues to provide support.
    3. There is also lateral and medial evidence of support highlighted by the small blue arrows on either side of the shoe.
    4 Effort appears to have gone into shaping the toe

18. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Ok, now to number 2, again I am lucky as I have the shoe in front of me and you have to put up with very average colour coded arrows!

[​IMG]

Horse Shoe #1 as highlighted by lots of clever people has issues.

Sil really summed it up beautifully: "Looks like #1 was too small for the horse and the farrier bent it out to accomodate." Because this is what I consider the evidenced shows and here is why:

1. Unevenness of wear indicating an unbalanced hoof with not much effort put in to it to even try to make it balanced, as others have said possibly the presence of flares etc. The red arrows indicate the excessive wear areas of the shoe. Just to really highlight how bad this is I have to inform you that whilst Shoe #2 had been on the horse for 5 weeks, this beauty was only on the horse for 3 weeks!!
    2. Evidence for the shoe being too small for this horse is the total lack of support, no sign of lateral or medial support and absolutely NO heel support...check out the green arrow which is the approximate end of the heels on the first application of the shoes in comparison to Horse Shoe #2!
    3. Now the shaping of the shoe...no effort into shaping the toe has been done, at the purple arrow you can just envisage the points of the anvil and how the this farrier simply place it over the anvil and gave it a crack at the toe to open the shoe up to make it wide enough for the hoof!

So there you have it...feel free to comment or ask questions or just have your own opinion :)) Hopefully it just shows that even just looking at a shoe that has been removed can give you some evidence as to the quality of the job and the potential issues with your horse. :))

I have lots more in my shoe collections if anyone is interested...

ETA: as lots of super clever people have mentioned this horse really needs a size 5 in this brand of shoe, not mention its hoof balanced!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  19. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

I say poor polo pony- expected to be playing such a rigorous sport with all the fast turns and stops on shoes that are too small and seriously unsupportive! #(

20. madcow

madcow Guest

LOL.......do you get out much Retro?

Very interesting although all the arrows did make me a bit dizzy*#)

PS will have to try catch up with you on Saturday and meet your unicorn properly. It's amazing what show pony dye can do!