What Are These On My Horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by xXaussiechickyXx, Dec 14, 2007.

1. xXaussiechickyXx

xXaussiechickyXx Well-known Member

came home from a mates place today and these little lumps are on my STB horse richie over his left side shoulder and two or three on his back. Are they misquito bites?
    my mum is usually the one that looks after richie when im out, she didnt see them this morning?? hmm..
    p.s. the lump on his whither is permanent from his racing career (u cant really see it from the sunlight), the vets said to leave it.

[​IMG]

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Looks like an allergic reaction from bites, has he been rugged or not ? @)

3. xXaussiechickyXx

not for a couple of days, i may put one of his summer rugs on him but not sure it will be cause itchiness on the lumps

4. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

Just look like mosquito bites to me :)

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

It's better to keep him covered, that will help. :)

6. Joeleen

Joeleen Well-known Member

yeh my boy is stb too and he has really reaaly bad allergic reactions to fly and mosquito bites...thats exactly what they look like but griffins are probably 100 times worse...i put some tea tree spray (water and tea tree oil) on them as it is a natural antiseptic and helps to reduce the swelling.

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

umm they dont look exactually look like what my mare had but shes allergic to the salt in her sweat. she came out in spots and then they burst and cause oozing open sores that had sticky yellow goo. vet gave her antibiotics and shes been fine since just can let her stay sweaty or rugged to often

8. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Look like insect bites

9. Neet

Neet New Member

Yep they definaltey look like mosquito bites to me.My TB mare is very allergic to them also & comes out in big welts on the bite site.I have used Tea Tree oil & also Lavender oil to help sooth the welts & help take the itchiness out of bites.I have also found an all natural skin irritation oil that has worked wonders for any type of skin irritation.If you would like to know the details of the oil & where to get some just PM & i will be more than happy to pass the info on.The oil is also fairly cheap but i swear by it its fantastic stuff.
    As others have said its best to keep horses who suffer from allergic insect bites kept in a cotton rug to help cover their skin up & away from nasty biting insects.:)*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  10. mineees

mineees Gold Member

yep..buggy bites..our little gelding gets hives if a bug just walks pat him...:(

11. horsesarelife

horsesarelife Well-known Member

Yep, my mare gets them too, buggie bites, and they usually end up around 3 to 5 cm...
    they go away after a day or two.

x

12. xXaussiechickyXx

thanks for the posts guys, i almost had a heart attack when i first poor them, my poor boy..im such a sook hehe
    didn't think for mozzy bites they would get that big on him hmm but thanks all, really appreciated :)