What age do greys lighten to white?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Remaani, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Heres my 15yo Mini Pony mare.
    She's reg with known breeding but well i can not be given that info from the society she's reg with (long story), so i dont know her parents colours etc.

She's still very dark isnt she?

Sire is either Silver Dapple, or Black Roan (the info i have been given).

Some have said grey (which i've re-reg her as), palouse, silver (i doubt).
    She has what looks like lacing, over her back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. samm

samm Gold Member

I dont think this mare is grey at all.Being 15 she'd be very light by now.Greys will lighten with every coat change.
    I think this mare is a blue dun.If she was roan her head would be dark ,so I dont think she's roan.

3. Orlaithe

Orlaithe Well-known Member

She cant be blue dun, because they need at least three of shoulder barring, vivid dorsal stripe, zebra stripes and facial cobwebbing. She cant be roan because her face isnt a solid colour so that leaves grey or silver.

Greys all grey out at a different rate, if the horse is born palomino, they will be very light very early. If born black they will take much longer add individual variation to that and you can get dark grey horses quite late. Having said that your mare is a breed where silver is very prominent. So that would be my call, she looks black silver.

4. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

she is a mystery :p

She looks grey, but she should be white by now at 15, is she definitely 15? I dont know much about blue duns, But I know there is another horse reg roan somewhere that doesnt have a solid head? (chestnut, I've seen photo's....?)

5. samm

samm Gold Member

Yes but Orlaithe theres other modifiers coming into affect on this mare.Not just a base coat colour.She's 15 ,she would not still be dark in colour if she were grey.
    Just because she has lacing doesnt mean she isnt Blue dun(Dun gene over black base).Lacing is caused by another modifier altogether.

She's definitely not grey.
    Silver possibly but I would like to see her in summer coat or clipped coat.

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My friends pony is a blue roan and looks like a dark grey, only she will never grey out. Maybe the same as yours. She has no darker head than the rest of her body:) and this is interesting Horses - horses and ponies on the internet

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Definitely 15 Sassy, lol... thats all the info they'd give me, grrr, lol.
    Unless i find her last recorded owner with this society, then they'll give me her details, stupid hey! :D
    I contacted Mifoopen that bred her but sadly no records were kept but no dramas, we'll figure it out soon. :p

Goodie, i know the pony you mean, but i thought Roan's always have darker points (head/legs)?
    Just trying to think of her parents colour atm, lol.

Cheers Samm, i will have to see about clipping her & getting some pics. Thanks. :)

Thanks all, hopefully when we are 100% positive on her parents, that'll help but then again, mini's are reg as colours they truly arent, lol. :p

8. Orlaithe

Orlaithe Well-known Member

Samm read my last line again:D

9. Em

Em Well-known Member

If she had any mottling on face etc she could well be palouse bred showing the varnish roan in her coat - not sure of palouse genetics, but though should have mottling and I don't know if they can be a palouse without the mottling if that makes sense.

Agree with Samm - definately not grey, some other modifier going on there. If she was silver her mane should be lighter - my little cinnamin I am pretty sure is silver, along with varnish roan palouse but without genetic testing can't be sure and this is her
    [​IMG]
    Shall keep reading with interest as to what everyone thinks!:)

10. Remaani:)*
    She id definately not a roan or a dun.:)*
    Homozygous greys grey out very fast (2-3 years).
    Heterozygous greys get lighter and lighter with every consequtive coat change. Usually by 10-15 yo they can be completely white.
    My pick would be she is black (not a true black though) or dark bay-brown going grey. Definately heterozygous for Gr gene if she is 15yo.
    Cheers, Lena:D

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I would say that she isn't silver either as her mane and tail are the wrong colour.

My guess would be the same as Coli. She is a grey who is just taking her time to grey out :D The lacing is interesting though :)

12. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cheers! :)

I dont think she's Silver neither.
    Here are 2 Silver's i owned.

Silver, whom is reg as Brown Silver.

[​IMG]

Smokey (Rayne's 2006 foal), he wasnt reg Silver, but could of been. (his sire is a son of Silver's sire)

[​IMG]

Em, no mottling or another Palouse characteristic etc.

13. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

My Mare is a black skinned grey with a real silver sheen, no dun or silver in her breeding any where, she will not go fully white until she's very old if at all.
    Her dam is 12 ish now and still a very dark dappled grey.
    Her sire is black.

So she my never white out as such.

Yours might be the same?

14. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I don't know much about colour at all but could it just be ticking?

I found this:

"BIRDCATCHER TICKING

The white hairs are spread fairly evenly throughout the coat, including on the head and lower limbs - it is often confused with roan but there is no sharp contrast between the amount of white hairs on the body and head and legs as occurs in roan."

So she could maybe just be a very steely grey, or a silver/black with ticking....

Edited to say I had another look at the photos and she doesn't look like she has birdcatcher spots. Just a dark steely grey with lace.

Go to this site Equine Color - Horse & Pony Color Genetics Information

They look for people who's horses have lacing....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  15. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

I been told once a horse/pony hits 12 yrs of age what ever colour grey they are thats what they will stay :D :D

16. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I am watching this one with a great interest in greys - interesting subject! **)

17. Em

Em Well-known Member

Was actually thinking and remembering back to any of the grey's I have owned/ridden and one of them was mid teens and his mane and tail were still predominantly black. Body was still pretty white/grey though but I definately think there has to be some modifying genes on the grey gene or it could be the way the grey gene is shown and expressed over a black base that causes the darker colouring later in age. Also as coli said, most likely heterozygous for grey.:)

hey Remaani in the time you have owned her has she gotten much lighter at all? stayed the same? or gotten darker? that will give us clues!

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Em, hmmmm hasnt really lightened, i've only owned her since Oct.

Pics from Nov.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is a pic of a mare someone said was my girl, by that we could of found out my girls breeding, colour etc.
    Thay are almost identicle but the brands just dont match up.

[​IMG]

19. Em

Em Well-known Member

20. palomino6661

palomino6661 Active Member

in my opion she is grey roans have a dark colour head than its body i could be wrong.