What a hell of an Easter... (WARNING graffic pics)

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Eventer4Ever, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

so sorry to read of the loss of your beautiful filly:( Really hope that everything goes well with the recovery of the other two poor ponies. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through but wish you and your family all the very best. Do not be afraid to lean on your friends, it sounds like you have some very good ones :)

2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

o mate, what an awful time for you in what is supposed to be a peaceful, reflective time of year.

i'm sorry all this has happened.

Narbeyda, don't give up yet. your horses are stunning.

*hugs* the pair of you.

3. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

OMG I'm so so sorry to read all this-your Peggy is one of my favourites too:( RIP little Jazz , run pain free ,what a horrible nightmare for you guys:(:(

4. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Hello again everyone.

Mum and I went out to take Peggy for a pick of the grass this morning and thought I'd snap some pictures for you all.
    So here she is, very frustrated about being locked up constantly and found it great fun to tow us around looking for the best grass.
    She is also being very spoilt by getting to wear my instructor's lovely rugs and make her look like a real show pony hehehe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Hey E4E, we had 1 sever an extensor tendon as well. Our vet heavily bandaged it and also placed a PVC type splint up the front of the leg and then heavily bandage it more to help prevent him from 'knuckeling' over on it. Over time we decreased the bandaging a bit, then eventually removed the splint and just heavily bandaged and so on. The horse now moves completely normal on it, you wouldn't know expect the bump that the injury had even occurred and he has even gone on to win Supreme Champs etc as he moves completely normal (people actually comment on how beautiful he moves!). We also expect he will have a full ridden future ahead :)

If you want to talk about it please feel free to PM me your number and I am happy to chat. We weren't sure either how it would go but this definitely was a success and prevented any further damage.

6. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

How horrible dealing with so much.

Such a shame about jazz, what a beautiful horse, but if you saved her a life of pain, you did the right thing as hard as it would have been to make that decision.

My best wishes go out to your other two horses. I hope they have a speedy recovery and you can still acheive your dreams with them.

Keep us posted on how they are going.

7. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

hugs and thoughts are with you and your family through this traumatic time, sorry for the loss of Jazz

8. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

Hello everybody. Would just like to thank everybody for their kind words and thoughts. I could never see how it helped when other people put posts up of their loss or injuries and you would have to be able to read everyones condolences. Just made me cry more because I was being reminded of my loss. Trying so hard not to think about it. But I can see it also gives you a lot of support that you are not the only person in the world. So once again thanks everybody.
    For the query on our fencing. In the real world we would all love to have horserail or post and rail, as I know I certainly would. But I accepted long ago that we were not financial enough to do 50 acres. So we settled on post, electrified top and third plainwire, with electric tape on the top as sighter wire. We also have starpickets with caps on others. We have only ever had problems with these fences twice, both have been because of close lightning strikes. I believe the only effective fencing to prevent injury would have been three bands of horserail to bounce them off. Assuming they did not hit a post.
    All three horses in different paddocks with their respective buddies. Jazz went through post and electrified plainwire fence and fractured her leg. Rosie went through star picket and electrified plainwire fence and although starpicket bent over their is no sign of hair/skin etc on it. Piggy's injury is definitely the cause of wire as it encircles her leg and although starpicket was pulled out of the ground, I believe this may have a been a blessing as anything solid may have done more damage.
    I cannot change what has happened or prevent it happening again we have no way of controlling mother nature or investing in three strands of Horserail, but I am closing down my breeding program. I have lost so much confidence that I do not want to so much as move a horse to a different paddock, just in case.
    There is many people who may speculate on how it could have been prevented or done better, I have been through them all, over and over and personally the only way to be sure is to get out of horses.

9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss of Jazz. I'm also sorry that you've decided to quit your programme :( Horses can hurt themself in ANY paddock, the most perfect fencing might have helped, or a slip on mud or a hole in soft sand could just as easily have created ruin :(

Thinking of you x

10. Araphra

Araphra Well-known Member

My heart sank reading this, you seem like such nice people - how devastating for you and your mum E4E :( very sorry to hear about little Jazz. Hope Peggy and your filly make a speedy recovery!

11. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Gee one injury is bad enough let alone 3 but hang in there it will come good in the end. I too have had a run of bad luck this year that still continues. I have had a yearling open her hind leg up to the bone and only just missed her tendon my milimetres. It has now been 4 months and still ongoing but we are now up to fortnightly changes instead of weekly. My vet has made the comment that it is a very fast healing wound and it makes me wonder if it is because she has been left to roam in the paddock instead of being locked up. Here are a couple of pics for you

We started with this
    [​IMG]

A month later
    [​IMG]

And this is last bandage change
    [​IMG]

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Sorry for the loss of your youngster and I hope the others make a speedy recovery.

13. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

Mouse, thanks for that, I do remind myself I am not the only person in the world who has had to deal with this. It is great to hear peoples success stories. Your horses wound has healed up lovely, I can only hope for such a result.
    I am trying to not get my hopes up as Peggy's biggest thing is infection, as she was found in the creek that drains all the local dairies. Her wound down to the fetlock was filled with dirt. Vet tells me she is not out of the woods for at least ten days. How much scarring is irrelevant as I just want her to survive. A result like yours would be a fantastic bonus.
    Both horses are coping well with needles and bandage changes, even little Rosie at 7 months, such a brave girl.
    Thankyou once again everyone for your kind thoughts and PM's.

14. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

It was a freak accident.
    You couldn't have prevented it happening.

I really hope you & Kayli don't blame yourself.. no one could have foreseen it.

15. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

So true Wattle, Narbeyda don't beat yourself up. I have 3 level copper log post and rail yet still somehow my filly managed to nick her deep digital flexor tendon as a yearling. Horses are horses, they will hurt themselves on anything. It is a shame to hear you are closing your breeding program, it is a loss to the Arab world but you know what is best for you.

Again, don't beat yourself up, your fencing is a lot better than what most horses stand behind, you were just extremely unlucky :(

16. teddy2shoes

teddy2shoes Well-known Member

What a devistating and freak accident! We are feeling your pain.....so terribly sorry for your loss and hope your beautiful girls make a full recovery.

17. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

What a devastating, horrible, tragic accident. Look after yourselves and your beautiful girls ladies, I'll have my fingers crossed tightly for Peggy and Rosie's safe recoveries.

RIP Jazz.

18. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Thanks so much E4E and Narbeyda for your description of the fencing and how you think it happened. We'd all love to wrap our horses in cotton wool, but even then they'd probably find a way to choke on it :/

Very few of us can afford the PVC type fencing, hopefully prices may one day be within reach, but until then we make do with what we can.

I'm starting to look at my own fencing with a suspicious eye - what would happen if my horses tackled it? It's pretty similar to your own.

Be assured positive thoughts are being sent in your direction - I hope your horses (and yourselves) recover well.

19. Minx

Minx Active Member

So sorry to read what has happened ... sending lots of healing vibes and hugs
    to you all xxxxxxxxxx

20. minimo

minimo Active Member

I was managing to hold back the tears (only just) till i read this.
    My heart goes out to you both on such a tragic loss of a magnificent filly.

I am praying that Rosie and Peggy make a full fast recovery.

From the bottom of my heart i am sending you the most sincere
    condolences and sympathies for you all.

Sending all the healing vibes i can muster.

If you need anything at all please feel free to pm me or any of yr friends on here, as that is what we are all here for...

Massive ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))......

Please Narbeyda take some time before making any serious decisions as the time of great tradgedy is not the time for decision making...