What a hell of an Easter... (WARNING graffic pics)

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Eventer4Ever, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Well.. What a hell of an Easter we've had..

It went something like this...

There we were, on a family trip down south and halfway up Bluff Knoll, when we got a hysterical call from the girl looking after the horses.

A thunderstorm had gone through the night before and when she went to check the horses in the morning, the place was in chaos.

Supposedly there'd been lightning strikes in the paddock next door to our place and it sent our lot off.
    We've had 3 horses go through fences. All with serious injuries.
    2 of those are youngsters and one is my beautiful Peggy :(

So, for educational purposes and for the long road ahead, I thought I'd share this story with my Stockies family.

So.. the patients..

Rosie - 7 month old Pure Arab filly.

Injuries - large laceration to left front leg, severed tendon sheath.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazz - Bone chip at the top of the long pastern bone.
    This mare was purchased and due to go to her new owners over East in the next few months.
    So with communication with the new owner, and getting a variety of opinions from vets all over the country, we will decide what to do with her in the next few days. In the meantime, she has a support bandage on and is quite comfortable in her little yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am yet to get the pictures of Peggy's injury so when I get those, I'll add her to this thread.

At the moment, Mum and I are just at a complete loss for what to do. It's been injury after injury for a long time now and we're at our wits end. Here's hoping things start looking up soon.

2. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Bugger not nice:( Hope they all heal up quickly for you....

3. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Oh sh*t, that's not good. Having been through one injury after another with my lot I can totally sympathise. Let us know how things progress.

4. emily4

emily4 New Member

Very sad to hear :(

Hope all horses are on the mend soon hopefully with no long term consequences.

5. Lakota

Lakota Well-known Member

Oh Kayli I am so sorry, what a nightmare :(

I am praying and sending healing vibes for your beautiful girls....

6. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

One horse is bad enough, but three injured, now that would be a very rough time for you!
    I hope they all make a full and quick recovery
    Good idea to share the photos, its amazing to see how they progress

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  7. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

How devastating :( Hopefully they will heal up quickly for you.....bloody horses :(

8. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

So sorry, hoping that they all heal quickly.

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Lots of hugs going your way :( And lots of healing vibes being sent to them all!

It was bad enough having one decide to injure herself this weekend let alone three!

It certainly seems to be a year of lots of injuries and bad luck so far :(

10. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

omg! thats awful! :( your horses are some of my favourites! My partner and I ahve been eying off your your fillies and trying to decide which to buy or whether to breed with your boy! we love your horses!
    Im SOOOO so sorry to hear this and will send all the healing vibes i possibly can for your mum and yourself and yourr ponies :(
    I hope theyre all going to be ok xxxx

11. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

*&#%@$^& :( :( *&%#$@

Not another damm storm!!

When is it ever going to end for you guys?

You poor things - I am devistated hearing this....... :(

Sending my thoughts - and strength for you.

Nancy xoxo

12. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Oh my goodness - one is bad enough, but three? :( Sending positive fast healing vibes for your family/herd .. I really feel for you :(

You have some of my fave stockie-horses! Hope they heal soon!!

13. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Thankyou all for your kind words and support.

It has been a really tough couple of days for us and has really only hit home today.

Unfortunately, after opinions from a number of vets, the tough decision has been made to put our beautiful Jazz to sleep as her quality of life, even if surgery was a success, wouldn't be as good as it should and she would be in pain constantly.
    We are all devastated as she is such a lovely girl and had so much potential. But as is always the case, only the best die young :(

I have got hold of the pictures of Peggy's injury and thought I'd now add her to this thread.

Peggy has ringboned her hind leg, tendons and all, right down to the bone. Pretty much just de-gloved her leg. She was found standing in the creek, tangled up in wires and covered in mud.
    The wound has cleaned up quite nicely but infection is a major worry due to being in the water for so long.

Day 1 - after the vet had cleaned and stitched it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - changing her bandage, after it had been cleaned up and washed out (yes, the white you can see there is her cannon bone).
    [​IMG]

And my gorgeous girl before all of this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't really know what to say. I'm devastated. Peggy is my baby and although I'm thankful she didn't break anything, the future is unclear for her still. It is very likely she may never be ridable again.

It's going to be a long long road for this girl...

Finally, I'd just like to say a huge, huge thankyou to my instructor and her family. Due to us being so far away, she and her Mum came to the rescue and took control on Sunday, dealt with the vet and made sure everything was on track as we rushed home. Her Dad put fences back up to stop any more horses escaping or injuring themselves. She has done an amazing job supporting us and keeping us going over the last few days. And all that is without even mentioning that she took Peggy back to her place and has kept her stabled and confined, comfortable and been dealing with her needles, etc for us.
    K, truly, from the bottom of our hearts, we want to thankyou. There is nothing we could ever say that could explain how much help you've been over the last few days.
    You and your family truly are angels.
    Thankyou so so much.

14. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

O not Peggy :(

She is one of my fave stockies horses! You guys looked so happy together!

E4E my heart goes out to you and your family for your loss and tragedy. I am sending HUGE healing vibes your way!

15. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

oh no K I am so sorry.

RIP gorgeous girl.

If it helps at all, my mare did an injury very similair to Peggy's (maybe even a bit worse) as a youngster, and then redid it not as badly once it had almost healed. Apart from a big scar she is completely sound on that leg **) So there is absolutely a lot of hope - she is young and will bounce back.

That trot photo is stunning!

16. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

K im so sorry for what happened :(

What a sad series of accidents RIP Jazz <3

Hopefully Peggy makes full sound recovery

*MASSSIVE HUGS*

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh my goodness :(. This really broke my heart to read this thread!

I'm so so so sorry this has all happened. I'm sorry to hear once unfortunatly has not made it through :(.

I know how devistating injuries are specificaly with a horse you've got HUGE plans for. I really feel your pain. Sending lots of very fast GET WELL vibes to them all.

May times get easier for you all.

18. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Gosh E4E very sorry to hear this :(

19. kp

kp Well-known Member

So, so sorry this has happened. It is heartbreaking coming across situations like this. Fingers crossed peggy will be fine for you.

20. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

We are at a loss. So tired, tears constantly welling up. So paranoid about making the right decisions, so many decisions to be made. Hurting so much. Wish the pain would go away.
    My life long dream of breeding Crabbet Arabians gone, cannot keep going both emotionally and financially.
    Cannot thank Kristy and family enough will never be able to repay them. And my good friend, who was looking after them while we were away will allways carry those memories of finding them. My daughter E4E is my rock, by being there, helping with horse holding, needles and bandaging, could not do it on my own. Thanks everyone and I am sorry, for all the inconvenience, but, grateful you were there.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011