Western saddle?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Naomi, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Hi guys, I have a standardbred with a wither that looks like Mount everest. I also have a passion for Western saddles, they are so comfy for bush riding.

Does anyone have any advice on finding a western to fit my Standardbred? I know it's hard coz they are designed for flat backed QH's but I'd even consider modifying or getting one custom made. Can anyone tell me how much I'd be up for or recommend someone?

Anyone got an opinion on Wintec Westerns?

2. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

hey, i wouldnt recomend getting a wintec western, not one of the new ones anyhow. If you go to a second hand store there are older wintecs made for high withered horses. My horse is high withered and i have tried on heaps of western saddles! try and go for the older types, these days they are made for flat back QH's.

Jessica *

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

3. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Thanks for your advice but why dont you like the newer ones?

4. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

the newer wintec ones seem to put most of the weight on the shoulders, so they pinch the horses, the old ones [not necessarily old, about '00 models] were made for high withered horses and the weight is supported all throught the saddle...

Jessica *

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Naomi what JessiTrist is saying is exactly what happened to Malley I think anyway. If you like I still have the digital camera and will have it over the next 2 week so we could take some pictures of Josh and post them for a better opinion on fitting a western saddle if you like? This time nicer scenery :-D...

~§Arnie§~

6. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

YOU ARE ALL GENIUS!!

Thanks guys, i'll keep that in mind.

Sarah, that is a wickid idea, i'd LOVE to have digital pics of Josh, please let me know when your next down and we'll do it properly. Thanks.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'll be up Sunday...I have a lesson in the morning at 10:00 (With Denny) but I'll be riding some of the other horses too so I'll be around all day...

~§Arnie§~

8. robbi

robbi Active Member

Yeah sarah, you remember our trouble!
    hehe it took us 6 months to find a saddle that actually fitted and we got the best bargain ever!!!!!
    I have the western wintec Pro saddle (the '00 model) as we got the new type (allrounder wintec western) and it was pinching and as jess said putting all the weight on the shoulders and not properly spreading the weight over the back. but now i have the saddle we were wanting in the first place. thank goodness that drama is over.

Good Luck with finding a western saddle for your BIG baby Naomi, might see you today.

~:p~*Jess* & *Malley*~:p~
    "Any Sire Can Be A Breeder, But Only The Great Sires Breed On"

9. slowjo

slowjo New Member

You can get Western Saddles with a narrow gullet, which are suited to fit horses with igh withers.

Ive tried tons of other saddles on my horse, hes a TB, and they all hurt his back.

This was until i got my western saddle, which helps a lot, and he hasnt had nerly as many back probs since.

10. realalvin

realalvin New Member

Brought it off ebay and I think many brands have good saddles .Horseware/Harrison Howard and Bucas....you name it!