West Swan Bore Water

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Nicki, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

We're moving to Bennett Springs/West Swan soon and the only water out to the horses is bore. There's a big tank near the house but I'd rather not use if I can help it. I'm going to get the water tested next week but just wondering if anyone can tell me what the quality is like around that area. Is it okay for the horses to drink? I went out there today and the garden sprinklers were on... smelled a bit funny. Also, will I be able to wash the greys in it without them turning chestnut? There's some stains on the white fence.

I've been hosing down and washing with bore water in Gidge for a couple of years and it's sometimes quite yellow out of the hose but haven't had any serious problem with staining.

2. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Sounds like the water is high in iron but your water test will be able to tell you that.

I currently wash using bore water. Granted I only have a white tail and mane but what I do is wash in the bore water and do a final rinse in rainwater. Washing purely in rainwater will quickly eat up your drinking water!

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

I live in Henley Brook and our water is full of iron. We had it tested by the Government Chemical Laboratories and it tested ok for human and animal consumption. My horses have been drinking it for the past 20 plus years without any problems. You can use trough blocks which are available from stockfeeders to clean up the water. You can also use settling tanks to settle off the iron.:)

cheers

4. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Thanks Admin, settling tank sounds like a good idea, are there portable ones available? We're only staying there for 12 months so I don't want to invest in something we can't take with us to the place we end up buying - which will also be in the Swan Valley area. I guess I'd better not run the paddock retic while the 3 greys and a cream pally are out there!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

You should give it a test by filling a bottle and in a few days you should see the water become clearer. You should also see brown solids as the iron solidifies and drops to the bottom of the bottle which is how the settling process works. There are small tanks available but given that you are only staying 12 months I wouldn't waste my money. The paddock retic won't change their colour so I wouldn't worry about that either.

cheers

6. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

I'm in Henley Brook and none of the grey or palomino horses get stained from the retic whilst they are in their paddocks **)

7. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Thanks, that's great to know they won't stain. Hard enough getting them clean without that to worry about!