weaving and fence walking

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Mach, Apr 11, 2012.

1. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Go the Distance @) but you cant use Hobbles at an Endurance ride can you?

Cheers
    Lee

2. JAFEICA

JAFEICA Active Member

I used to have a weaver and the only thing that worked for him was routine, routine, routine... He came out of his paddock at 4 and was worked then stabled, if you came 2mins late he'd weave, same inthe morning.

He was a bit neurotic, a massive 17hh tb and if he didn't like you or get his way he would rear to vertical and strike at people. Never did it to me though.

Sorry all I have to offer is routine so he is not stressed

3. Secret85

Secret85 Well-known Member

Thanks Lee, I wasn't sure and just wanted to clarify in case any one took my comment/s the wrong way. :)

I worry about the damage he is doing to his joints as he is only a 3yo, I also worry about him walking the fence in the middle of summer. I've been told he walks the fence line for at least 4 hours every day.
    I know it's a PITA for the agistment owner when he walks the fence in his yard. He digs a pretty big trench, which requires filling in every day. :(
    I wish he didn't do it, and wish it didn't create so much extra work for the agistment owner. I am thankful that he is calming down in his yard as he settles into the routine. Hopefully he starts to settles down in the paddock too. :)

4. Mach

Mach New Member

Thankyou everyone for your opinions and suggestions, going to look into a shin strap, am thinking putting hobbles on a 10yr old TB who has never had them on before might do more harm then good, but certainly agree for younger horses.

I try to stick to a strict routine but am noticing a more stressy horse as the days get shorter and i cant get home any earlier. He is a gorgeous and quiet horse in every other way ';'

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Secret85 I've been there done that with the Agistment owner stressing over my boy { I've owned since he was 3 weeks old he's now 16 years } walking the fence & she was the one who tried her upmost to stop him by hook or by crook, & it just stressed him more, me & her.#(

Mach, if you want to try Hobbles, then PM someone like kiraSpark or Secret85 if they cant help you they might be able to put you onto someone who can train your horse properly without him or you being badly hurt, Hobbles have their place in the world dont get me wrong, I have a friend with a Stallion who she has trained to wear hobbles at shows etc from a young age- it works for her to put him in them,{ GTD you'd know her ;) } I put my Stallions back on the float at shows- each to their own.**)

Cheers
    Lee

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

You are right about the hobbles and endurance events Citygirl but if your smart and do all your training consistantly at home when you go to events they look like little angels:D. Waving the stirrup leather around under thier nose is allowed at endurance events:p.

I am also someone who is the 'look the other way and ignore it' type. I had a gelding that galloped the fences the whole time I took his paddock mate out. I just left him to it. Saved me training him every day.

As for hobbles if you do it properly you can teach any horse to hobble or leg restrain. My Dad has always taught all of his horses to hobble regardless of thier age. The thing about hobble teaching is they learn not to panic when they get caught up. Great for when they get caught in wire. They stand and wait.

7. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Or they don't even need to be caught in wire *#) ...just have to be standing on the bottom strand and feel the next strand up if they move :p and wait to be rescued :eek: I love having horses that have been hobble trained!!

I know of a horse who's at least 10 (not sure how old he is TBH) who was hobble trained a couple of years ago. He's fine :) And he was rather unimpressed with it :}

8. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I've never had a horse walk fences or weave in their stable - thank god! But my first thought would be to never stable them - weaving problem sorted. And horses don't need stables. Believe me, when I lived in Perth I couldn't imagine not having stables on the property and leaving horses out all night to fend for themselves. Now I realise horses don't care! They actually like being out all the time.

Second thing I'd do is send him somewhere with massive paddocks. Like 50 acres or so. Does he still try to walk the fences with 50 acres, plenty of food and friends? If yes, then you really do have to consider the quality of life this horse will have. He's damaging his own joints, damaging the property and potentially teaching other horses the same bad habit.

I don't know if the 50 acres thing would work at all, but that's a whole lot of fenceline to walk! I think horses develop these issues because we coop them up. I've never seen a horse in the wild windsuck, weave or fence walk. So my advice is give him a bit more space, both physically and mentally, and see what happens. :)

9. A very good advice Cadabby**).I recon by restricting an animal we are creatingmore problems.
    We tried to stable our fence walker, she didn't weave, she walked around her stble, it was a mess! She walked in a 20 acres paddock (where we planted trees later on), she had a couple of mares with her so she wasn't on her own. Then we let them all out on a 1000 acre paddock, I can't tell if she walked the fence there, I couldn't be bothered watching her and getting upset, but she stopped and never done it again. She was with us for over 8 years. She didn't damage her joints by walking, she has been ridden in team penning since we sold her, she never had a lame day in her life nor had she fence walk again even when yarded. We sold her with the disclosure. New owners should know the historyof the horse they bought.

10. kp

kp Well-known Member

The problem with these horses is what worked for one horse won't necessarily work for another. I've got one here. One of the worst I've come across. He would very quickly get to the point of galloping up and down the fence line (paddock, yard and WIWO stable) over anything. He would also double barrel at anything near him. Other horses, rails, whatever. He constantly injured himself doing this. He cannot go out with another horse as he chases them constantly. He had large wounds on his fetlocks from hitting his legs on fence posts as he went. I ended up putting him in our WIWO stable so I could constantly watch him. Everytime he starts walking he gets chased off the fence. He now rarely walks. We just make a point of interrupting him each time he starts.

It takes time to figure out what will help these horses. It is trial and error really. Sometimes you need to think outside the box and find what works for that particular horse.

11. I would do the opposit kp, I would take a bike out and chase a horse up and down the fence when it starts galloping (untill he stops), make him sweat and work even HARDer. I am sure he will stop pretty soon when he works out it is not easy. Horses are lazy and they are not dumb. Do it 2-3 times when he starts running the fence and i bet he'd prefer standing under the tree somewhere in the shade instead of being chased.:))):)

12. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Cooliban, i really like your idea.
    And KP, I like all your ideas :)
    Cadabby, I agree with you too.

In reality though, unless we all lived with Cooliban, our horses can not have a life anything like they would in the wild. Some horses will be very happy that this is the case! and some horses do not cope so well. So, we have horses with all sorts of neurotic behaviours like fence walking and weaving and windsucking and crib biting etc. What do we do with them? Sure, not buy one in the first place but when your horse comes off the truck and starts up for the first time, what are you gonna do? We can't all realistically 'send them off' and if we could, when they returned, the problem would still be there . And we can't all have 50 or 100 or 1000 acres or what ever is the magic number they need, so we have to try and help them in the best way we can. And yeah, if it is still not 'acceptable' we must surely look at quality of life.

The whole reason the thread was started was because someone was looking for ways to help their horse, and this forum is a great way to do that - explore different ideas and maybe even find people who have has success dealing with the same problem. Hopefully they have got some useful ideas out of it.

I truely do not understand though, especially if you have nothing useful to offer the OP, why bother with the vitriol? Really?
    BTW and just in case, this definately is a rhetorical question:-/

13. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

If it were my horse and I really wanted to give it the best chance of working through it's habit (because that's all this is, a habit) I would find somewhere to send it out on spell with huge paddocks (of 50, 100 acres or the "magic number", whatever that is) and leave it there for at least 6 months. Spelling agistment in regional areas is cheaper than agistment in Perth. You might end up with a long term solution. You might not. But you would have tried. The key is trying to break the habit. Even if you ended up with a horse that lived out its days in some farmer's back paddock, at least it might be happier.

I don't see how my suggestion isn't viable? ';' It's what I would do, putting the best interests of my horse first. And no, I don't have 50-100 acres of my own. But I tell you what, if I thought it'd help my horse get "better" then I'd bloody well find somewhere that did! **)

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

treating the horse for stomach Ulcers would- in my books- be helping the horse & owner.**)
    Sure the owner can go off and spend hundreds of dollars on a Vet to come out and scop the horse etc etc, but on the cheaper side, Whey powder
    is one of the ingredients used in Ulcer Guard. alternatively the owner could buy UlserGard or Gastrogard and give that a go instead.

just some light reading for those of you...

ULCERGARD? (omeprazole) | the only FDA-approved treatment for equine stomach ulcers

GASTROGARD? (omeprazole) | the only FDA-approved treatment for equine stomach ulcers

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/feeding-horses/66134-muscle-xl-vs-whey-powder.html

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/feeding-horses/69686-muscle-xl-topon-whey-powder.html

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/feeding-horses/66668-whey-powder-slippery-elm.html

"Whey Protein Powder -- This nutrient offers a wonderful supply of branch chain amino acids, the building blocks of protein. It also supplies a high amount of lysine, which is well known to boost immunity. Whey protein isolates allow these nutrients to exist in a highly available form of protein to horses -- all without the worry of adding too many carbohydrates to their diets.
    There are two categories of whey protein powders?concentrate and isolate. The concentrate form is more widely used, easier to find and less expensive. It contains approximately 30 to 85% protein. Whey isolate is a higher quality protein and is more expensive. It contains more than 90% protein and is more easily absorbed by the body than the lactose and contains less fat and lactose. I feed the whey isolate form and I am very careful to buy only brand names that contain no artificial sweeteners or flavorings as my experience is that some horses have stomach problems after eating artificial sweeteners and flavorings.
    In two years, none of my horses have had an adverse reaction to whey. In fact they love it. However some horses, like people, are lactose intolerant. So introduce the food carefully and watch your horse accordingly.
    Also, make sure you know how much protein is in your horse's overall diet before adding a protein supplement so that you can know how much your individual horse needs"

cheers
    Lee

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  15. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Worth a try, probably not for me, if i had one of mine ripping up my beautiful grass paddocks i have spent 12 yrs getting up to scratch i think i might run it over, that would certainly fix the fence walking problem .......................

16. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I had a fence walker, stallion too which made it harder and he was hard to keep weight on because of it. When I had my own property I always made sure he had company as that is when he was happiest and wouldnt walk, the moment he was alone he started walking.

When we sold the property I had to agist him and as he was entire he was kept alone and alas, walked and dropped condition. I gelded him and then he could go with other horses again, happy horse again who regained his condition.

Long story short, try keeping him with another horse. It may or may not work but everything is worth a try!

17. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

If you have your own property you have control over the set up. Unfortunately for those who agist, some horses are attached to others, other owners take their horses out for ride, show etc and your attached horse goes nuts all day.

If i see mine running in the paddocks i will run out and throw out a heap of carrots or pellets out onto the grass, they quickly stop and hunt for the goodies. Obviously this is not something you can do 24/7.

18. kp

kp Well-known Member

Interrupting him started out as chasing him away from the fence with a lunge whip! Lol. I just tried to word it a bit more nicely because no doubt someone would disapprove of a horse being chased of with a whip. Growling at him when starts up does the trick now. It is a rarity now though.