weanling feed help

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by brittany_137, Jul 4, 2014.

1. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

hey guys,
    may sound like a silly question but i have been doing some research on weanling feeds, have a question regarding quantities. on the bag it states how much to feed 0-6months & 6-12months. say if you had a shetland and a warmblood, both same age, would they require the same amount of feed?

thanks in advance

2. Braids Dale

Braids Dale New Member

the feeding guidelines on bags are commonly (but not always depending on the product) based on the "average" size horse of 500kg or 500kg at mature wt for grower feeds.

3. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

ahkay, thankyou for that. i had a slight suspicion that it may be based on an average size horse.

4. Warren

Warren New Member

I found a feed for my weanling which referred to "expected adult weight" in the feeding guide. It took the guesswork out of feeding my youngster **)

5. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Oh cool, I'll have to have a look at different bags when I go to the stock feeders next. Just a bit worried as a friend and I have recently purchased a shetland colt, neither of us have owned Shetlands before and have heard they put on weight very fast, so wanting to make sure i do all the research before he comes home. Still have 3 months before then but the more research the easier it'll be when he gets here :)

6. Warren

Warren New Member

It's probably not cool to mention a brand that isn't a paid advertiser but look for a black and red bag with feed for breeders - good feeding guide and it's suitable for weanlings and youngsters up to 2 or 3 years old.

7. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Perfect, I'll have a look when I go. :)