We have a unique foal due this year....

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Happypaint, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Cheers mate, was totally expecting a lashback :) **)

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

My mini stallion is afraid of big horses & my big horses hate his guts even when they're in season, so I would never think an accidental mating could occur in my paddocks!!!
    But as we all know - all horses are different!
    These things can & do happen, and it was an accidental mating & not planned, so I dont believe criticism for breeding "pedigree mutts" is fair in this instance.
    I am very curious to see the resultant foal from this type of cross.

As for registration, it would be eligible to apply for Sports Pony Registration, and any other height specific rego, and possibly colour reg if it comes out patchy.
    Not to mention the fact that Breed Rego's are N/A in official competition.

The OP did state that they intend to keep the foal for their children, so concern over the future of the mixed breed foal is unnecessary ;)

I dont think this thread needs to be turned into a debate about appropriate breeding practices - accidents happen.

As for scanning, there are many reasons why a breeder, reputable or otherwise, may choose not to scan.
    This season I chose not to scan my mare, I did a Wee Foal preg test with a positive result. I still have no exact due date tho but I chose not to internal scan because last year she lost her foal & I didnt want to do anything to upset her, including moving her out of the stallions paddock!

3. FlowerPower

FlowerPower New Member

I know of many reutable breeders who dont scan and have little or nothing to do with a vet unless there is an accident!!!!

One in particular in her many years of breeding has had few if any foaling mishaps.

The mares are kept as naturally as possible.

I have a lovely young horse as a result of her breeding expertise.

4. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

I was drooling over Gypsy Cobs - and came across a Gypsy Cob x Shetland foal!! More pics ( It sold for the bargain price of $6000.00). Other way around to the OP's - mare is shetland, sire is GC, but, whoa, risky for the shetland dam I would have thought...site doesn't say if the pairing was accidental or planned though.

5. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Cav.............go to the naughty corner. How dare you question the ability of the world to do as they please.........bad Cav, bad Cav.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Gamblin Paint Bred

Gamblin Paint Bred Well-known Member

Hi Cav and contrary to your assumption I am not a backyard breeder this was not a planned mating etc etc etc I am so over trying to justify what has in our case turned into a happy and very wanted "accident". Can I just say you do not know the mare nor do you know the stallion and you do not know the circumstances requarding any testing or not testing.
    I try to have the least amount of outside interference as possible and after reading many horror stories just on this forum about scan stuff ups, PG stuff ups and blood test stuff ups I remain convinced that I have chosen the right path with regards to this mare.

I know you have Riding Ponies and very beautiful they are but did I not read just recently that a RP mare of yours was used to produce Sport Ponies by using a Morgan??????

So can someone please tell me why I have "pedigree mutts" and no one else does????????? I have traced the mares breeding back over 8 generations!!!! My little Stallion was a rescue so yes he has unknown breeding to us but is true to type and has consistantly produced true to type I thought that was one of the prerequisites to "forming" a breed or type and before you say anything he is REGISTERED.

Yes you are entitled to your oppinion but I am also entiltled to mine and I take offense at being called a backyard breeder. My big boys have already made their mark on the show scene and the offspring of the "small Stallion" have also attained Champions and Supremes also before their 1st birthdays so if I am a Backyard Breeder I must be a bloody good one then.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but this is just a bit unfair to the OP and in most cases alot of comments are unfounded and unnecessary.

ZaZa The comment about the horse float was downright rude fyi I have 3 floats here 2 doubles and a single but if you had read the thread you would have seen that this mares travel buddy had to be put down after a tragic paddock accident just recently and I will not place anymore stress on this mare just you can sleep at night cause she has been scanned!!!!

Again I do appologise if I am out of line and I am also telling Niki to hurry up too :)*

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

oh please :rolleyes: :}

Good on you GPB, no one needs to justify anything to anyone really.

8. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-known Member

GPB - When I saw you had posted I thought you might have some exciting news lol. I think your mare must know that the whole world seems to be waiting on her :D Hope all is going well with her :)

9. Gamblin Paint Bred

Thankyou Bon & Ted and thankyou Belladonna and I am sure she knows and in answer to your question she is looking wonderful except for the mud bath that she had she is glowing lol would anyone like to see a photo or two :D

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Oh lighten up GPB, it was a joke (hence the smilies and the comment below) but if you insist on taking offence, that's your choice. It bothers me little :}

^^^ A quote from a post the OP made ^^^

So what I will say in all seriousness though is that all I see in this thread is excuses - one after the other. Excuses for how the mating happened, excuses for what the mare hasn't been scanned, excuses for why the mare can't be floated and excuses for why the mares due date has been pushed back for 2 months now. How long did this storm that knocked the fence down go on for ';'
    I find it expectationally difficult to believe that IF the mare is in foal, that the dates could be so far wrong :}

Fear not, my sleep is affected naught. But then I'm not the one on a very lengthy foal watch ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

GPB, of course what you do is your business........and what you breed is also your business. The horse world is full of horses of all calibres and pedigrees.

I think sitting back and reading you will find that any comments are really not directed at you personally. They are generic comments designed to highlight appropriate breeding practises for the good of everyone reading the forum.

Its sad that you have had bad luck with assisted reproduction in the past. Honestly its not all that bad.....provided you use very qualified and experienced people to give you advise and service. AI has been exclusively used by us for nearly 14 years, including FS & ET.

I personally don't agree with people not scanning mares.......I feel the mare is owed a duty of care and the mare owner serves this best by knowing if she is in foal or not. Just as humans have pre-natal checks. It also helps to give a gestational age that might have prevented all the waiting.....lolol

The problem with people who might do as you do, is that they might not take the time, energy and money and credential offspring. Nothing is gained by just mating horses...except numbers.....and that is why "standards of excellence" apply to horse breeding. One would hope that people who cannot do justice to breeding did it less, and those who can do it justice do it more. The reason for this is survival of elite genetics, which form the backbone of any breed.

The issue of parentage can be easily solved by testing???.........then the father is identified.....then everyone knows. As with colour breeding, knowledge is breeding power.

12. brumby_78

brumby_78 Guest

would LOVE to see some photo's :)

13. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-known Member

Some photos would be great :D

14. FlowerPower

FlowerPower New Member

I believe from comments I read elsewhere that she has starting dripping milk!!!

Cant be far of then. :D

15. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Actually since 1996 I have bred Australian ponies, Welsh ponies both A,B and Part Welsh and Riding Ponies. All generally triple registered with my stud prefix and brand also registered with all the relevant societies.

And yes my 2nd generation registered Section A Riding Pony mare was leased to a Morgan stud for two years as a new venture in their "breeding programme" to purposefully breed dressage/sports ponies that would be a) up to height, b) have the stamina, endurance and conformation to be able to compete in any discipline (unlike most riding ponies who will never go over a jump let alone see one) and c) to ensure the temperament was suitable for children and adults alike. Both matings were conducted by the owner of the stud/stallion and the resulting foals are both divine examples of SPECIFICALLY PURPOSE BRED dressage/sports ponies. The owner of the stallion/stud carefully selected what pony mare she wanted to use in order to acheive this (which turned out to be my mare). She also only wanted to breed 2 of these ponies, again PURPOSEFUL breeding and not breeding for the hell of it.

Just thought I would clarify the difference between those foals and your foal! Those foals were I suppose you could say were "designer bred" and yours is the result of an "unplanned mating". Please done get offended as I am merely pointing out the facts. Glad we have cleared that up.

And may I add, you have still not managed to tell us how it could possibly be 3 months overdue when you stated way back in the beginning that it was due about august?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  16. Gamblin Paint Bred

Different mare FlowerPower that is a purpose bred foal :p

17. TrueBlue

TrueBlue New Member

OMG!

I can't wait to see the foal. Wow, what an interesting mix!

18. Con

Con Guest

come on everyone,cut out all of the negativity....

this breeding was an accident (not a predetermined backyard breeding so get off your high horses), lots of women in pregnancy don't take scans as they are deemed an interference and it is their choice just as it is the OP's choice not to scan here (and she has very valid reasons not to scan!).

stop trying to make something so beautiful, and miraculous into something negative!

If you cant be nice, don't post, we don't want to hear it!

there my rant over, I don't usually get into the bullsh** on here but enough is enough!

No wonder the poor mare is keeping her legs closed! hehehe

19. Cav

Cav Gold Member

you might be waiting a VERY long time Trueblue so I wouldnt hold your breath.:}

20. Cav

Cav Gold Member

perhaps because she isnt in foal? that would be a good assumption!**)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.