waterproof doonas, whats the go?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by ljp, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hi stockies.

It had rained the other day and I had my landa rug hanging on the gate. It was satched, all through inside even under where it folded over the gate. I was surprised! Aren't doonas 100% waterproof? There was no way the rain, no matter what angle it came in at, could have satched even the part that folded over the fence.
    I asked my agistor n she recommended getting a light summer rug n just using a canvas over the top. Got a bargain table summer rug n hood today yippeee!

2. Raider

Raider Well-known Member

Not all doonas are waterproof and not many rugs are 100% waterproof, if its a really heavy downpour or continuous for a few days they will get wet.

But depending on the quality of the rug will depend on how waterproof the rug will be. As rugs age they usually loose their ability to repel water as well.

There are products that you can get to paint or spray on to make them waterproof again.

Good luck!!

3. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

If its a stable doona then no, they're not waterproof even though they feel like the same material as what synthetic paddock rugs are made of.

4. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

even some of the best rugs won't sustain continuous heavy showers

i used to have a synthetic and a canvas that I would swap over when one got too wet

5. Roe

Roe Banned

What about no rugs then you allow your horse to be a horse. He does not need to wear stupid clothes all day and night in stinking hot weather. No need to worry about rugs getting wet fur drys so quick and he would have enjoyed the bath. :)

6. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Sorry Roe, some of us like to rug our horses, if we show, they are clipped out for shows, are old, underweight or arthritic - I rug all my horses. They run into their rugs quite happily, not cruel at all!!

'Stupid clothes'? Hmmm ... maybe you could consider not being so harsh and dismissive if people don't do things the same way as you Roe, everyone has different ways and different reasons for doing things. Personally I would never leave my horse naked in cold or wet weather. Some people may not agree with your way either.

My Landa is pretty much 100% waterproof, have never had a problem with the WB outdoor rugs, maybe try reproofing it? I have found that the sun can cause problems with some rugs :)

7. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Never had a problem with my landa or orican leaking.

And yes, id rather my horse be dry if I can help it and my horse would rather be rugged in summer in his white cotton to keep as many flys of him as possible.

8. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

If its a new-ish WB Landa I'd take it back or contact WB about it. Apparently they are quite happy to exchange (within reason) and like customer feedback.

I have had 2 WB landa's - both preform poorly in the wet in my opinion, but fit really well.
    I prefer canvas too, but a good quality like sunset, lillydale etc

Having said that I just got a saxon synthetic v cheaply so I am interested to see how it holds up...

Col:))

9. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Thanks guys,
    my WB is old, about 5yo but thanks for vairyfying my question.

I think rugging depends on the horse. My underweight- thin skinned oldy I rug rain hail or shine. My other aged horse, very good doer, is without a summer rug at the min in fine weather but I rug her when expecting cold or showers.

I think rugging tends to do their overall condition a favour but each to their own.

10. Nushie

Nushie New Member

I have a landa rug on my old fella and the majority of the time it is great and he doesnt get wet underneath it, but if it is really heavy or rans continually for a few days he will get wet underneath it. Its the main reason why if it rains for a few days i stable him at night, so that he isnt remaining wet for all that time.

Also every 2 years i get my winter rugs cleaned and then re-waterproofed. I find this helps them to last longer and keeps the water out.

My local horseland gets them done and it cost me about $40 for a clean and re-waterproof, i only have 4 winter rugs (2 for each horse) and i do 2 each year. So far i have had 2 rugs for about 7 years, still going strong. Another has been used for the past 4 years, the last one i only bought last year. But to have 2 winter rugs last 7 years is awesome and a cheaper option for me :)