Washing saddle pads

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by suga1624, Jun 13, 2012.

1. suga1624

suga1624 Well-known Member

Hey everyone,

What have you found to be the best way to wash your saddle pad/blanket?

I have puffer pads, cotton ones, thin ones, and theyre all dirty and really need a wash (dry sweat etc)

So im just curious as to what people do to wash them..

Thanks in advance

2. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I put mine in the washing machine, even the sheepskin half-numnah goes in on delicate cold cycle. But then I put EVERYTHING in the machine: cotton, synthetic and canvas rugs, putrid float boots, dog bed, halters & leadropes, husband's stinky trainers....

3. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

I'm a bit of a freak - I stand on the offending article and giving it a good vacuum, the ill hand wash them and give them a good scrub with a brush.

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I machine wash after EVERY ride. That way they are not too dirty for the machine, plus, i could not imagine putting a dirty saddle blanket on my horse...too much risk of rubbing from dirty gear.

Perhaps you could hand scrub them in the bath, then put through the machine to get really clean.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

machine ';'

6. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

I just chuck mine in the machine when they start to get gross. I have two for each horse so when one is in the wash the other one is being used.

7. tollygunge

tollygunge New Member

If you're like me and living in a house where people are a bit, erm, precious over what goes into the machine, you could always take it down to a local laundromat if you have one nearby. I'm lucky as I have one just down the road from me. At $4 a wash, it's not exactly the most cost effective way of washing them, but it gets the job done :)) Haven't tried using the dryer, so I can't vouch for how they come out of those, I'm afraid!
    Happy washing, hehe :)*

8. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Until recently, I was precious about my new washing machine. Rugs and saddle pads would get a curry combing to remove any shed hair. Then I'd put them in a blue half drum with soap flakes, add water and climb in. Do the winemaking dance on them, it really worked out the dirt. Rinse and dance again, then hang them on fence for quick hosedown.

But now I'm too old, tired and busy so my machine is all clogged up and dented and I no longer care. But my beautiful mohair girth gets handwashed in pure soap in the bathroom sink :) it's still precious.

9. Ponypuppet

Ponypuppet Active Member

Pressure washer. Have been using my white dressage pad for over 3 years, yet to leave a stain. Don't even need soap! :)

10. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Big orange washbags are great for popping horse gear in the home washing machine- they catch all the hair. :)

11. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I just put them in the washing machine. Just make sure its the only thing in there , otherwise the other things will get covered in hair .... which my mother found out, the hard way ;)

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

If you do that please only use the designated animal washing machines not a general washing machine otherwise the people using that machine afterwards won't be very happy!

13. Equine

Equine New Member

I shove mine in the washing machine then the dryer :p

14. tollygunge

tollygunge New Member

Oops! 100% right there. Should have put that... Thanks Mirrawee :)

15. Orlaithe

Orlaithe Well-known Member

I believe most laundromats have some notice up saying no horse rugs or gear.

I wash mine after about 1 weeks use. I never let them get too dirty. I am precious about what goes on my horse. Leg boots and saddle cloths are always clean!

Mohair girth is the most laborious, I handwash mine too.

16. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

Mine go in the house washing machine....fancy fancy Miele too **) However when I bought a grey horse I invested in a horse wash bag (like a delicates bag but...horse size!) which eliminates the hair issue in the washing machine.

17. Omega Conquest

Omega Conquest Well-known Member

When we upgraded our washing machine, the old one turned into the horse one **) Works great!

18. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

we also have a washing machine just for rugs got it for $50 from a frind who was upgrading

19. luckyboy22

luckyboy22 Well-known Member

I hand scrub in warm water, then hang on the washing line;)

20. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I still hand wash all my rugs, and all my saddle blankets.
    When we have room for a second washing machine, it'll be the first thing I get hehe