Warren Agricultural - Results!

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by celestialdancer, Mar 19, 2011.

1. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

well i find it disgusting for a judge to come in here and say they were "disappointed in the presentation"..complete lack of tact#(...agriculture shows are for fun and to showcase breeds to the public..not perfect rossettes and blackened hooves and eyeliner..its not the royal for christ sake..i applude all the kids and parents for getting out there and having fun..thats what its all about it..if it wasn't for these families..ag shows would not exist

2. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

FF, I agree.
    But breed classes, are to exhibit a horses breed. It doesnt say much about the breed when horses with bad conformation are continually awarded good placings when their conformation is shocking.
    Fair enough, some presentation problems should be overlooked but in saying that, if judges award these people good placings (even if they are beginners), said people will never learn and will expect that they can go out and win with bad presentation/ conformation every time! At what point can judges say, "no, that presentation is unacceptable" and not award a ribbon when others expect them to give 'beginners' some leeway in presentation.
    Surely it doesn't take much to give your horse a wash and put a rug on them the day before the show!

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes I have had this happen to me on numerous occasions.

4. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Ahhhh someone who gets it **)**)

They did have fun though FF and htere were many smiling faces on the day. Its just that number of the kids who went have SY accounts and are likely to read the comments.

Now while some say ...well they kids should learn to toughen up and deal with it. The majority of mums and Dads in this community want them to have a happy positive experience and come away feeling good and feel a sense of achievement for the work they put in to getting their ponies ready. For every pony that comes in the gate there is a support crew that comes with it.....and a another $10 in gate entry per adult.

If we do not support or local Ag shows they will cease to exist and these are quite often the only opportunities some of these people have to get out and share their love of their ponies.

The photo that Peta put up of the little 4 yr old who waited all day for her chance to have a turn in the ring says it all ..... I would hate to see all the good feeling spoiled by a careless comment from a judge on a forum, after the event, who really does not care about those peoples feelings

5. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I would like to thank those who do see my point of view and believe me I also can see it from the other side of the fence (having been a competitor myself many many many...times!).

I made an overall statement on my opinion of the breed section of the show. I do not see that being unethical as a judge. In fact most judges comment frequently on another more personal site to remain unnamed and have a good old whinge fest there but it seems when a judge comes onto a forum like this and offers a general opinion on the standards in conformation/quality and presentation it is not acceptable. Is that because you take offence to what I have said? If this is the case then maybe sit back and think why you are taking offence to what I have said. I have not bagged out anyone personally and have no intention of doing so, now that would be "disgusting" of a judge to do that.

I certainly did have best intentions at heart. The little girl on the leading rein pony was delightful, smiled every step of the way and had the best damn rising trot and position for a little tot that I have seen in ages!!**)

So if "ag shows" are just for fun and to showcase the breeds to the public not for blackened hooves etc, what is the royal then? Everyone has to learn one way or the other...perhaps next time you would prefer the judges to tell each child and adult in the ring individually rather than make a generalised statement and then see how upset you all get?? My comments were not careless, it was a GENERALISED STATEMENT so get off your high horses already :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

OK all - I think enough is enough
    How about we try and keep the rest of this thread for RESULTS
    Cheers ;)

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Many thanks for this thread..
    Wanders off to remind her children that they can do PoloX, games, jumping, endurance, dressage, tetrathlon.. but Mum will not be letting them do showing..

8. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

hehehe **)

i might quit before i even start!! party due to the $$$ i need to spend up front too #(

i think in 90% ready to put them both in paddock now and forget about them till after winter and also save some $$$!!! **)

9. Cav

Cav Gold Member

We are only human cd :) I actually thought you went to a lot of effort in what you wore and did comment on how nice it was too see people make the effort/attempt to show in traditional attire. I was most impressed.

10. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

lol....if all competitors quit before they started, there would be none of us out there.
    My gawd, the amount of times i have heard negative rubbish about my horse or riding, or general showing, I shouldve quit 1000 times over. Get over it people! If you get any feedback at all, take it on and improve on it!

I would rather have feedback then NONE at all...none of us are perfect, we all have something to improve on. Yep, I get the bit about coming on a public forum and voicing opinions...but sorry, isnt that what a public forum is for? Freedom of speech...if ya dont like it move on and dont come in here to gripe.

I came in here to look at purdy pics of horses...**)

11. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

well that was a waste of time reading 15 pages with only a handful of photos & no results :(';'

Lee

12. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

Oh dear. I was going to wash and trim my pony to take to Harvey Ag in a couple of weeks. I know I'm no showie, but i present to the best of my abilities bar boning the ears out (yuck). I have no problem at all being placed below people who have far more experience and are better presented then me. I'm taking her out for experience outside home with other horses and distractions around.

But.....perhaps I'd better not go cos I might annoy the judge!!!!!!! #(

(Too bad - I'm going anyway!! *#))

13. horsescomefirst

ill be the other learner there! :p

what breed are you taking?

14. snoopydoo

Oh dear.....to add insult to injury, I'm going in the unreg horse class!! (And we all know how much some people think unreg horses are worth!!! LOL *#))

So not only an amature attempt at presentation, but an unreg horse too. Hang on, I'll just put my flack jacket on! *#)

Actually she's a v nice (well I think so) chestnut Arab deriv ( or should that be cross (??!!) pony. Sorry, I'm in a bit of a stirring mood tonight! Her sire is well known but her dam is unreg, so too much hard work and $$ to reg her for 1 show. I'm taking her out for some eduction! I'm looking forward to it **)

15. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Well if it makes you feel any better snoopydoo the unregistered horse won the SOS ridden at Warren and the garland looked lovely on him and the girls smile was priceless :) Your "might annoy the judge" comment wasnt really necessary, I highly doubt you would be put down in your breed class for not boning ears if your horse was the most quality animal in the class however it might go against you in best presented if that was all the judge could pick between you and another horse. Good luck at harvey!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  16. horsescomefirst

well ill be there with a bright chestnut weanling SB and a black/brown/orange/chocolate yearling sb!! hehe

ill be the handler taking a bottle full of chill pills before hand haha

17. snoopydoo

I'll see you there horsescomefirst.!!

I'm surprised that an unreg horse got SOS. It must have been a really quality animal. :)* Going by some of the threads in the Breeding section, I got the impression that unreg horses were thought to be the dustbin of the show classes - full of rubbish that can't be reg with a "proper" society. I was obv wrong though, which is great news.

Sorry if you thought my comment was below the belt, Cav, it was meant tongue in cheek!!

18. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Oh Cav, I hope that wasn't taken the wrong way. I was very happy with what you said about the fluffy midget, was just saying that things didn't entirely go to plan which was why we weren't turned out properly :eek:

I'm in the process of having her booked in to be mouthed in the coming weeks/months, I think i'll find many judges will be of the same opinion as you. There aren't many out there who would bother to read the HiPo rules regarding turnout when there are so few of them competing.

And I have to say again Peta, great show :D (and although the pony jumped at the motoX bikes, she stood calmly and just chilled when she saw the camels. I thought horses don't like camels? Oh that's right, my pony is super unnatural!)

19. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Snoopydoo, he just worked really nicely under saddle - stopped on the dollar too! :)

Celestial no I wasnt upset by your comment. It was also really nice to see a highland out there competing! They are not a highly represented breed. I made the bridle comment only because at 99% of the show 9.99% of judges will tell you that you need a bitted bridle on anything over yearling.
    Well done on the day and good on you for representing your breed! :)

20. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-known Member

One of my pet hates is when unreg horses cant go up for SOS in breed shows. I considered taking a little unreg mare to the show but decided I wouldnt when she couldnt go all the way, I would have been dissatisfied not knowing lol. Only ridden unreg could were able to go up of SOS from what I can figure.

I would rather a good horse with out papers that a lesser horese with papers :)