warmblood x standardbred

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by smash, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kp

kp Well-known Member

I know. It is a real shame. They think that they go like that because they are a standardbred. I was lucky I came across a good instructor who never used the 'it's a standardbred' excuse. Mine have always been trained like any other horse.

2. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Ditto. I know I don't have the most talented horse but I refuse to take him out uneducated. We will work to the best of our cababilities and nothing less. He will be educated to the best of his capabilities, and nothing less. I wish everyone with SB's could do the same if they intend on competing

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Sooo back on topic lol Falkrich is 25% standy and these are his progeny making them half that again - arent you getting a little bit 'out' of standy blood to be claiming fame from it??? :p

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yeah we hate them. I've got a paddock full of them.
    And my OH is President of Standardbred Breeders Assoc of Australia and also President of the NSW Standardbred Breeders Assoc.

I own more STB than anyone on here!
    And have more to do with the breed on 4 continents than anyone on here.

Dumb ugly critters they be...........ahahahahahah

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

The horses in the Pas de Deux are Whiz Bang (brown) and Sea the Grey. The same rider usually competes both of them, but Sea the Grey was being ridden by another rider at the World Equestrian Games. There are You Tube videos of both horses going from OTT to the levels they are at currently. I put up the video to show the horses at an "elite level" and I thought it was clever what the Owner had done in colouring the grey lighter - it hid defects which are clear in that video.....but not so glaringly obvious in better cameramanship videos.

I hadn't wanted to post any particular photos or videos to this thread as it changes the perception of discussion. It's easier to pull apart a single animal going badly, and using that as a representation of an entire breed, but that is not accurate.

I chose not to remove the video, as suggested.....as we all know gaited standardbreds have their odd way of moving. I'm not trying to deny that. If you watch the videos from OTT to curret, you can see improvement - but that is up to individual interest to pursue :)

6. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

And where is your peer reviewed scientific research that proves this description? Huh? Where? *#) :p

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh NG, honestly if you had of bothered to read the second half of my pictures, you would of seen this bit
    I even highlighted and underlined it for you because i love you :)*

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

PMSL yes I DO need big words in bold!!

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Peer review...........hummm. Come'on down and we'll look over the fence together - you can agree with me that they aren't as pretty as my ASH & QH's.

Then we'll open a bottle of something and get some nice cheese and bickies and fruit, and make a party out of taking the P out of the ugly buggers......LOLO

Then we'll ring a few friends and they can join in - we'll make it a version of Pin The Tail on the Donkey - we'll call it Hit the Standardbred with the Ugly Stick?

10. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I've changed my avatar pic just for you EVP and RR :p:D

11. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

I don't know EVP that type of post modern research stuff is not my usual cup of tea but if we were to use Gaia's boy we would have to change it from ugly to handsome stick :)...but then I could never label a horse as ugly, so I would probably mess up your research results because of my internal bias ;)

12. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Lol, can you tell I've been bored today :) *#)
    (I did pick the best head shot i could find tho) :D

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Lets just do the cheese and plonk and all the horses will look handsome!
    Not that I'm much of a drinker - but for the purpose of unbiased scientific research I'm sure I could force myself to down a few champas.

We won't ask them to move around too much........no dressage moves or jumping - they can just be looking back over the fence at us.

14. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

I love your boy Gaia. Would never know you were freaked out or nervous when you are in the ring! You hide it well :)

Wish we could be at Gosnells but sadly my mare had a bad accident & is going to be out of action for quite awhile :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  15. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Oh no! What happened!
    It was the rider riding your mare that I was referring to hoping she will be at Gosnells with the grey.

Glad I hide it from others well, cause I would probably look like a dribbling mess if I didn't Lol

16. Gaia, I love looking at the pics of your SBs!:)*

17. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

My mare is part leased to a young rider & she was lunging her in the arena, horses in the paddock next to her went nuts so my mare went nuts & got away from her. Sadly arena gate wasn't shut so Pie went bolting back to the stables. She slid out on the corner & went down on her knees on the gravel :( So you can imagine the damage that has been done. She is such a little trooper though, going through daily bandage changes & being poked & prodded.

On a brighter note Diana will most def be out but she has another SB now. She is going to do very well with him!

18. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Thanks Coliban! :)

Thats no good at all Prestige :( Hope she recovers well.
    Glad to her Diana still has a SB. She is the type of rider we need to see with them **):)

19. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Save one and make it your project or new best friend. Forget cross breeding them - they are perfect as they are.

Gaia your fellow looks so happy playing in the water.......funny but many of our standardbreds also like the water (dams that is).