warmblood x standardbred

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by smash, Jan 22, 2012.

1. EVP

EVP Gold Member

No they're not. WB's, QH's don't have an extra gait. And the genetics of the Standardbred Trotter & Pacer are DIFFERENT......so different that one possesses a pace and one doesn't.

Because I hate Standardbreds. They are ugly & dumb.

The breed is evolving - but not changing. Times are getting faster and track designs better - but I wouldn't consider them to look like WB's as a rule!!
    NZ isn't the 'home' of the breed, its just another Southern Hemisphere place of residence for them.

Yep way back then they didn't have cars or trucks. Horses were mult-purpose beasts of burden. People rode bullocks and bullocks pulled carts too. Horses pulled ploughs and took the family to Church on Sundays too.

Standardbred mares make amazing surrogate mothers and ET recipients. If people didn't use them to crossbreed, and didn't want to breed racers from them, they would still have a cushy life at a breeding facility.
    Considering the HIGH numbers of Standardbreds who finish racing due to soundness and health issues - yes, it would be kinder for many of them to go into the can or be sold for export meat.

2. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Standardbred? Pacer or Trotter bred? Big difference when your using the comparision in crossbreeding.

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

EVP when you finish pouting let me know :D

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

EVP you do not hate Standardbreds :rolleyes: A few pages back you said you loved the breed and didn't want it diluted ;)

I had to go give mine a shampoo after that bit of *what smash said* haha.....Made me smile tho :D

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Don't really wish to enter this argument too deeply, but just curious.

If we were in any other country, a five gaited horse would be considered wonderful! And even if a warmblood x standardbred DID pace, I could imagine it would be an even more comfortable gait than what is produced by a pure standardbred.

Smash and Sil have put up some excellent videos of what standardbreds and x's have achieved.

It is a rather terrible blanket statement to say that all standardbreds are 'ugly and dumb' EVP ;) I know of several who are more beautiful than any arab or TB, and have movement to match. And dumb? You trying to say if you crossed a warmblood and a standardbred, you would blame the dumbness on the standy? :p

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

EVP - I know that nz is not the home of standies: used because I know that some breeders in nz are trying to make the breed more attractive.

The standie I had could have been trained as a trotter or a pacer. The trainer trained him to pace but the horse hated pacing.

People are breeding warmbloods using TWH crosses and they are gaited horses.

I like standies as riding horses I have and ride one and will get another one. I dont do high level anything with my horse except have fun.

Most horses in use on this forum would not make internationl competion grade but we still love and ride them.

If I did want a EFI or high class show jumper I would not care if it had standie blood lines I would only be interested if the horse could do the job or not.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Alar fold collapse and nasopharyngeal collapse were more frequent in STBs compared to - ooh - The Norwegian Trotter... Nothing in this one to indicate whether these disorders are MORE or LESS prevalent in STBs than say TBs, warmbloods, or QHs. Only differences between trotters and STBs... Shall we talk about say idiopathis laryngeal hemiplegia in TBs, or OCD in warmbloods?

Common in performance horses. I myself have met several "chokers" in the Thoroughbred. Nothing here to say it is more frequent in the STB.

This refers to 5 horses! It does not attempt to consider possible breed predispositions, only cites cases and treatments. The first 2 horses in the case reports are of undefined breed.
    If I attempted to post a case series of 5 as some sort of proof that barefoot trimming fixes laminitis, You would rightly shoot me down in flames...
    I am not going to say to you EVP that STBS do not GET these problems, but you have yet to present me with anything at all convincing that they are more prone to these issues than other performance horses.
    Dig deep enough in any breed and you can find a reason why they should not be crossed with... HYPP in the QH, OCD in warmbloods, ILH in TBs... the list goes on.
    I'm off now to weep into the mane of my ugly, dumb, unsound STB... *#)

8. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Myyky, Old Mate and Anna E with all due respect I would bet money that EVP is being facetious that " standardbreds are dumb and ugly ". Would gather if she is quoting written articles and bibliographies on their background and providing fact on why they shouldnt be crossed, she may have an interest in pacing (could be wrong though lol) ...

facetious   /fəˈsiʃəs/ Show Spelled[fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA
    adjective

1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
    2. amusing; humorous.
    3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

9. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

Glad someone said it :p Considering EVP breeds/owns pacers... :D

10. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Love the video of the stallion, have seen it before and he is lovely. As for the other video, I agree both horses look very uneven in behind. The brown was borderline lame. I 'm suprised the rider did the demo, but if its the horses normal way of going then ..................
    The probelm with most SB's is they DO tend to have an "uneven" or "irregularity" appeariance (sp?) to there gaits, mainly in trot work. My boy gets what I call the speed wobbles. He has a certain amout of forwardness, push him pass that and he gets very irregular in his gait. If your going to cross you would have to hope that that is one of the negetives that the other side of the cross will iron out. As with any X, its a gamble, but its just the same as crossing anything really.';'

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Actually, I thought this was a bit shabby. I have seen quite a few better trained standys here doing dressage, one of whom is Gaia's patchy boy.
    There is another truly awesome one competing down south, hopefully another stockie will remember his name, ridden by a young lady.

That dark horse was nowhere near ready for a double bridle and very unsettled in his paces, altho he may have had attack of the nerves in the big atmosphere as well. It happens lol

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

Colonial salute could be the horse. Lovely horse. The horses in the demo are on the forehand and not forward enough. Could be training. See plenty of warmbloods that go downhill and not forward enough also. Please don't tell me that racing breeds are the only horses with throat issues. I do remember reading about how a lot of Weltmeyer's has throat ops for a strange noise at canter. While some people say there is a strong genetic link, I am yet to speak to a vet that has seen the proof. Might ask my vet that question again.

Yes Standardbreds can become irregular in there gaits. So can most horses when pushed out of balance. Every dressage book I have ever read refers to this in accordance to the German training scale. I do agree that Standardbreds aren't bred for purity of gait. I couldn't give a toss if my standardbred doesn't have a flash trot or a super three beat canter. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Only want it to run fast. Standardbreds are bred to do this. However, some make super ridden horses, and the right one crossed could also make a great ridden horse. But what makes a great ridden horse is very different according to so many people.

13. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

14. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Colonial Salute could have showed a few how to do it, but unfortunetly is retired due to injury. :( I have a few vids of Colonial Salute actually, but wouldn't post them here.

Nice of you to mention my boy NG, but he needs a better rider before he can do better dressage. One that doesn't clamp down on him and sh#t herself when she entered the arena would be good :eek:

15. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

condescending-to behave patronizingly towards one's supposed inferiors
    posted with no due respect

16. kp

kp Well-known Member

Colonial salute was beautifully trained. And a super horse. Real shame he is no longer going around. Ash is doing super in dressage. Don't beat yourself up too much. He is also a well trained horse. He is so laid back, looks like anyone could ride him.

17. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I'm lucky to have a horse that doesn't freak out when I get nervous. His reaction to it is just to stop forwad! Better than rearing, bolting or bucking, just frustrating! Oh and yep, my kids ride him lol

There are quite a few up and coming ridden SB's, and I am hoping like hell they will be at Gosnells to give more depth to our ridden. I know one in particular will be VERY well educated as his rider is a damn good rider!

18. kp

kp Well-known Member

You'll get better at the dressage thing.

About time some better ridden Standardbreds were out there. Thought the overall quality at royal was average at best (sorry to say it). Good riders produce good horses. Needs to be another Glyding Moments going around!

19. smash

smash Well-known Member

Oh i remember gliding moments, that standardbred has the most amazing trot and canter, better than (dare i say it) warmbloods :))
    he was a really nice type also.
    Gai, ash is a sweety, you have done a lovely job with him

20. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Unfortunetly people just don't want to educate there SB's like they do another breed. They think its acceptable to drag them out of the paddock and put them in a ridden show. I'm sure they think it doesn't matter cause they are "only SB's" That is what brings the breed down. So many with so much talent that just need the education.
    Glyding Moments was a cracker. I have had the chance to ride some lovely horses over the years and some very well educated ones, but out of all of them he was such a pleasure and the nicest one to ride. So well educated