warmblood x standardbred

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by smash, Jan 22, 2012.

1. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Thank god Hen I thought I was going blind!

2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

pmsl Retroremdy ... you have to be careful with the words "Sports Horse' as WB people souly beleive they own the words !! *#)

but thats another debate :D

Cheers
    Lee

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

Oh crap, re read my post: i meant "looking stormy" was a purebred and that this mare did not get registered. and yes monogal is the crossbred.
    monogal hurt herself as a 2 year old, so was never broken in so was used only as a broodmare, she died at the age of 23 years old.

*must re-read my posts before posting, sorry RR for the confusion*

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I'd like to share one more video. This one, for the learning of optical illusion. I watched this video and thought how clever, showing that Standies can dressage as well as any other more "accepted" breed. Side by side. I loved the grey's movement so much I watched quite a few more of it's videos, only to learn it was a Standy as well. Of course, these are PUREbreds - so takes a bit away from the thread....but the grey started it's dressage career with dark mane and tail. After *miraculously* going white/grey all over, the movement looks even better *#) Clever!!

[youtube2]iCvv-qzLpds[/youtube2]

5. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Oh dear .. I think it says the opposite actually - they can't dressage as well as any other breed .. and thought the movement was hideous :eek: Nicely schooled and top marks for that as could not have been easy, but as an advertisement for the breed as riding horses, epic fail *#)

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I probably worded that wrong. Not as well/prettily as other breeds....but can complete a workout, though I didn't like the brown's movement.

7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I think the Video quality was shite,, that didn't help their movement at all.. best take that one down wattle ;)

Cheers
    Lee

8. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

sorry, but I reckon both horses looked stifle lame, the worse being the dark horse.
    sorry, wattle, no offense to you.:)

9. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Standard Sport Steed (SSS) now those WB people can't complain! ;)

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

beagle, I'm in no way offended by your comment, but I would have thought that at the WEG, experts (and not saying you aren't one of course), would pull the demo if the horses were lame? I mean, at that type of venue....it's a LOT of experts, not like our local pony club or something :)

11. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

lol I think the person with the camera was doing the sit-trot themselves *#)*#)*#)

..yes I'm guilty of sitting in the stands watching some one riding- going through the motions- like I'm the one riding the horse in front of me :D:eek:

Cheers
    Lee

12. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

I think wattle that yes, you're right, but sometimes if people are accustomed to seeing a horse move a certain way, they take it the horse's normal action.
    Yes, they're prob not lame, but they don't have normal HQ action in my opinion.
    But that's prolly just me being hyper-critical!!! It's hot........*#)

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Very true....if we see it everyday, it must be "normal" ;)

14. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

bit like seeing yourself everyday in the mirror, then someone saying quietly to you, "gee, you've put on some weight...."
    the audacity!
    oh, I mean this happened to me, not implying it's you wattle.....
    oh shut UP beagle!!!!!

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

Dont ever shut up Beagle :)

Ok Here are just a couple of Falkrich progeny (yay photos)
    HP Finagin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HP Frontier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    oh have to do another post

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

and some horses out of Falkrich mares
    the below are just from one stud
    Danson Dressage Sold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for standing up for the standarbreds, we really have to realise that frozen semen back then, was not the go like it is now, so breeders have a LOT MORE OPTIONS.
    People did what they could at the time to improve their horses breed/type, and they just happened to use some standarbred breeding.
    this thread is really about proving that in those times, that they DID use standardbed breeding to produce some INTERNATIONAL STANDARD of horses.
    so please dont rubbish the standardbred horse for cross breeding, as they just dont deserve it.

17. sil

sil Gold Member

Just cos I can :D

[youtube2]a5fu7uLQFYo[/youtube2]

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

19. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

now that would be nice over warmblood mares :))

20. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

I have to agree with you here Hen. Both horses in particular the brown don't seem to have any power in their hind quarters and don't have much extension in the rear. The front legs looked ok but they also looked downhill. It kinda reminded me of watching WP bred QH's trying to do dressage.

ETA: Some lovely photos Smash and I like the two Stallions :)