warmblood quartehorse cross

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Lilac, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Lilac

Lilac New Member

Has anybody here come across a WB / QH ? Is there any photos ....

Just curious to know about such combination :confused:

Not something I would personally choose but would like to see if there is any :confused:

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Yep, I had one. Well, she was sold to me as a Warmblood x quarter horse.

Big bay mare, about 16hh. Could do anything with her, from campdrafting, to hacking, endurance, to dressage and the odd jump. I broke her to harness when I was 20 weeks pregnant and it took me four days, from go to whoa. By the fourth day I was trotting down the road sitting in my 100 year old sulky. She had the most amazing nature and so steady.

[​IMG]

Here's Jessie and her foal.

3. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Yep I believe Limehill were breeding the WB x QH. Maybe google them and see if you can find out about them?

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Not a cross I would consider for a variety of reasons. Firstly being the possible transfer of 'bad' genes, the second would be the loss of any registration and thirdly the crossing of two heavy horse breeds doesn't overall add anything to an intended purpose.

5. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

GOt to say I agree with this. I don't know why you'd cross a chunky western breed with a chunky english breed? It would be a real gamble! Totally different types and I can't see what they'd come together as to better either pure breed?

6. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

Bad genes? Can you please ellaborate on that?

7. I am very intrigued what would pop out if we cross either of our stallions (16.0hh) on a WB mare.:))) The loss of any rego has deterred me from an experiment:}

8. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I seem to be posting on SY a lot more then regular these last couple days lol.

Funny enough, a couple years ago someone did breed a WB mare to one of our QH stallions (she was of exceptional quality). I don't think they minded if the foal didn't get the QH rego, he was after a performance horse, but not really interested in showing QH I don't think. But the filly ended up getting AQHA rego anyway because of this part below here in bold. I think they wrote a letter with photos into the AHQA and she got A1 registed straight away. She is 4 turning 5 now and is competeing at Royal shows (in hacking) and is going to start jumping soon. I will admit she isn't the type you think of when you think 'Quarter Horse', but she was exactly what her breeders were after, and I think an extremely nice horse none the less.

I think there are a lot of mixes that could go terrible wrong (even when you're using two great examples of different breeds), lucky for us this one worked!

12. FOUNDATION RECORDING
    The Association accepts the following breeds of horse as Foundation Breeding Stock: registered Stud Book Thoroughbreds, Arabian (pure bred or Anglos) Australian Stock Horse providing they meet all AQHA registration requirements. Progeny of other breeds may be accepted on an individual basis after application to the Association and providing they meet registration requirements.

Anyway Lilac, here is some photos of a QHxWB for you. Sorry about the photo size, I have resized them twice now in photobucket but won't come up here small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kate.

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

That owner must consider themselves very lucky. Just like I do that I have a full blooded QH mare who is also registered ASHS. Sometimes "luck" just swings your way and aint it grand.....lolol

10. EVP

EVP Gold Member

All the nasty genetic conditions that permeate the QH breed. All those have the possibility of entering other horse breeds when people seek to outcross.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  11. Que

Que New Member

Do you mean HYPP & HERDA? you would think most people would know the status of their mare/stallion so could make an educated decision about breeding them or not :confused:

Also not all QH's are heavy, I've seen plenty of HUS types that are athletic english types so not to far fetched to think they would cross fine to a quality WB ( I've seen many that are also not "Heavy" ) in saying that it would not be my personal preference to cross the 2 but its nobody's business what people choose to breed.

12. belambi

belambi Active Member

LOL!!! have just stepped off riding that mare here at home, Kate.. she is here at the moment, and going very nicely. She is perfect for what she has been bred for, which is a nice straightforward riding club level horse.. great temprement.. not too much movement and very trainable. (She is also homozygous black.. and a black/buckskin)

The breeding was planned. I did discuss very carefully on behalf of my client, with both the AQHA and Days of Golds owner.. and they all were in agreeance that the AQHA do indeed give A1 rego to this cross... so there was no luck involved!!

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Nope. Same goes for any other genetic defect within breeds. One could hope the majority of horse breeders know the facts about their horses, the stallions they chose, or about their individual breed - but thats not always the case. Sadly you can't buy brains......lolol

And you're right......people can breed whatever they like - and they do. **)

14. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I knew you'd know more about the filly and how the rego went through etc considering you had a lot to do with it. All I knew was that she was out of a WB mare and got A1 rego lol. I didn't know she was at your place at the moment, that's cool. I know her owners (or the people that have had her?) said they were going to look at starting her jumping soon.

Kate.

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The Australian version of the AQHA accepts horses into its own stud book....and gives them FM registration. My ASH mares fall into this category and my AQHA mare falls into the same category in reverse with the ASHS.

I personally tag these AQHA cases as "lucky" because their admittance was purely pen-stroke from Australia and not the international norm.

The AQHA here would FM or supplimentary register just about anything (or so it would seem).....regardless of whether it was quality, genetically sound, or was born without parents!.......AHAHAHAHA.

This particular individual is a testament to his owner/breeders long term association with both breeds. And validates their personal breeding program, knowledge and ethics. Not all horses are lucky enough to be the end result of all these things. Including research and long-term commitment to that end product. If only every person who bred a horse wanted to emulate this scenario on all counts!

16. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

EVP, my understanding from looking into Jacks breeding was that genetic status MUST be tested and disclosed in the studbook.

AQHA Australian Quarter Horse Association

Maybe I have misunderstood ^^^...???

17. belambi

belambi Active Member

Still belongs to the breeder. Shoved her hair in with some I was having tested cause I felt she would be homozygous black and just wanted confirmation. She is very similar to her sire to ride.

18. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Hello you two, you can register a QH/WB cross with AQHA.

Check out the mare Glenyarra Kiara on the AQHA website. She is a Warmblood mare (with only a AWHA rego) by Lutz out of a TB mare. She has had three foals to a QH sire and all the foals are registered. Its do-able, just a bit more of a 'process' than recording the usual ASB, AHSA or ASHS foundation mare, Id imagine :)

19. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Well we all know the AQHA aren't that picky about what they allow in the stud book especially when it comes to foundation mare registration.

While I personally wouldn't waste a good WB mare to a QH breeding I can see why some might want to do it for a versatile easy riding type.

Sometimes the extremely talented horses are not the easiest it to ride..... Or it takes balls to ride them, however I am sure tou could get a versatile competition horse that would o a bit better in some disciplines than the full QH.

Each to their own, I have no problems with the idea of that cross. Would depend on the horses. Might be an awesome cross with the right horses :)

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yep. FM registered stock need to be DNA'd. But this doesn't mean much because its only used for parental verification for any future offspring? If a horse has no QH breeding I doubt they are going to be testing for HyPP or HERDA? So this test does not help in terms of abnormalities being bred into other breeds from a registered QH sire.

The Australian QHA is vastly different from the official Stud Book of the AQHA.
    Australia maintains its own Stud Book independent of the USA and accepts some breeds that IMO really do nothing to improve the QH goals and aims.

As for breeders who seek to FM register breeding stock.....I'd say they likely have something worth spending their fees on......would be pointless spending money on registration unless you actually have breeding plans.