Wanting to learn, breeding question

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Kodas Karen, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Is it possible to discuss this with the breeder and maybe convince them to register both parents?

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

The "TB" in the dam and progeny is only hearsay without the dam being registered.

3. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

You have all given me much to think about, thank you.

As far as I can tell from the breeder, she bought the dam from over east, asked the 'right' questions and got the answers she hoped for with the promise that the papers could be sorted easily.

Bred her to the registered QH still with the thought that the paperwork was a sure thing and ended up with her in foal with my filly. The owner of the Sire was a friend of hers. I have been able to trace him via the internet.

When the filly was 3 months old the mother was killed in a storm.

From what I have been told, the breeder and her breeder friend who owns the Stallion looked into getting the dam registered but found out it wasn't possible for whatever reasons, I don't know. And now she has passed away it is impossible to get any DNA testing done on her.

With the dam not being registered, I bought Koda at an awesome price, and I feel very lucky to have her. I got a bargain because her parentage cannot be verified. If it could have been she would have cost a lot more.

After knowing all that, and prior to reading the WBX thread, I was thinking "The breeder knew what she was breeding, and got it right with Koda, is there a possibility I could breed from Koda and get as an awesome foal as her if I chose the right baby daddy for her"

Now, not so much. I think I will just sit back and enjoy my good fortune!

Thank you sincerely to everyone who has replied, I have learnt lots and enjoyed very much talking with you all!

Karen.

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Breed with the mindset of an astute "buyer". Think what they'd like to see in, and with, a foal.
    Would you like to offer DNA proof to someone? Would you like to be able to see the product of one or two breedings from a mare and really learn the science in breeding? Even if you only own one nice mare.....what are the advantages of producing one nice registereable foal each year. What are the benefits open to you in the way of research opportunities....studbooks and societies that keep records (competition, sale results) mean you are privvy to info that can really make BREEDING interesting and something worth having a go at. Even profitable.
    Key is to start at the RIGHT start. Otherwise it's not much more than getting a mare pregnant.