wanneroo flies!!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by wildsteel, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

ive tried all the horsey brand flie sprays and most of the human and nothing will work. theyre still going strong at 6pm when its started to cool down!

i havent been able to work my horse on the bit for over a week now because i dont expect him to be bale to while covered in flies, how fustrating is that?

anyone got ANY alternatives??

2. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

mate, i agist in wanneroo and it's AWFUL. i was lying on the grass in my pony's paddock yesterday and the flies were swarming like midgies do - the sun was beaming in on them and it looked very pretty and tranquil, until you realised they were all homing in on me and my pony!

try riding much later, like 7-7.30, or early in the morning. also when it's VERY hot during the middle of the days, the flies tend to stay away.

i'm thinking of planting some lavendar, rosemary & garlic around my horse's paddock & yard as a natural deterrant.

i know that the repelX lasts about 1minute, if that. i usually do try to keep the fly veil on whilst i ride tho.

3. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

I dont think it is just Wanneroo as I am keeping my horse in Red Hill and they are Soooooo bad and rode today in Byford and they were pretty dag bad too!

Not this bad up north LOL!

4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

and Gosnells...[​IMG]

5. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

flies

And Bullsbrook

6. princeton

You know what.....I have been using the Black and Gold brand fly spray from the super markets the last few days and they dont seem to go on his body.....but love his face which obviously I dont spray!

I hate the little blighters.....have eaten and inhaled one too many.....Yuck!

7. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I use the reflections spray with the built in citronella fly repellent and it seems to work quite well, didn't get rid of all of them but where I sprayed seemed to be fly free.

8. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

yep they are appalling in Baldivis too, i'm using cotton combo's for the first time in a coupla years, they are driving my boys nuts! Horsetales is right they usuaally bugger off when the really hot weather arrives and the dung beetles take hold. Oh a friend of mine has had a herbal remedy made up for her super sensitive skinned horse, he gets covered in fly bites and scratches himself raw, it works a treat, so i'm not advertising you can PM me if you want the herbalist's details. Not sure about general annoying flies though, i'm going to find out.

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

And Northam!!! Try mixing 20ml of citronella oil in with 1L of water in a spray bottle. That works quite well!

I would be very hesitant to spray commercial fly sprays directly on your horse, as it is packed with chemicals and many horses will come up in allergic welts from using it!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

and in forrestdale... tried to ride tonight and i had no attention from my horse... he was too worried about the damn flies - can't blame him tho (REALLY BAD!!!:confused:) Hope they bugger off soon*#)

11. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Mundi too really really bad. Best advise wear a net. Dug my old one out of the cupboard **Zoo does not care what anyone things she looks like**:D Better than being annoyed, frustrated, flipping and bashing them darn little suckers!

Went out at 7.30 to feed up and the flies had gone to bed but the mozzies had woken up **bangs head on the ground** Zoo is allergic to anything that bits or sheds hair :)*

12. cocomist

cocomist New Member

Hi you could try using a product could EASY-DOSE made by Coopers.

It was originally made for cattle, but they now have a recommended horse dose on it. I find it better if it is painted on though with a small paintbrush.

Also, better put on in the afternoon and allowed to soak in overnight.:)

13. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

I couldnt agree more with the flies..
    And as soon as it cools down the mozzies are out!
    I have mozzie bites all over my legs.. it looks like I have chicken pox or something! ha ha

14. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

mmm and in oakford theyre driving me nuts im like others no attention from my horse as hes to busy trying to fend off the flies even with a flyvail on they still annoy him :(

15. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I have tried everything over the years. The most effective way I have found for getting away from the flies is to ride as fast as you can so they can't keep up. My mare loves it but its a pretty useless solution really.

16. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

We rode early this morning. Got up at 6 and my daughter was on horseback by 6.30. It's sooo lovely in the mornings, cool and best of all flyless - at least for a little while anyway. We were on our way back by 7 and the first flies were coming out of their beds.
    It really is worth getting up a wee bit earlier if you possibly can. We only do it twice a week though... just too much of a rush to get ready for school afterwards.

17. princeton

I will second the Coopex idea**)

It is awesome stuff, I have even sprayed it onto the outsides of cotton rugs, just lightly and never on the horse, but it is good stuff!

I always make sure I do an allergy reaction test with any sprays......just to make sure, and I always hose it off after a ride**)

18. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Just Citronella Oil and water is to harsh for horses skin! They will come out in lumps...
    Try 1/3rd Water, 1/3rd Citronella Oil and 1/3rd Apple Cider Vinegar!

19. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

baby oil in the heat can burn the horse... that is what i was told:confused:

20. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hi Blitzen,

Just read your post. Thought I'd say I've read the volatile oil from the lavendar plant is poisonous if injested by horses however garlic and rosemary are fine not to insinuate you don't know that just thought I'd chip that in, just a friendly comment from over here, but DAMN the flies!! grrr