vet tested positive for hendra virus

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Sugar's Mum, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Vet tests positive to Hendra virus (this off the news.ninemsn website)
    16:10 AEST Thu Aug 20 2009

A horse vet has tested positive to the deadly Hendra virus after an outbreak at a central Queensland stud.

The vet, admitted to Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital on Wednesday night, had treated horses that died from the virus at a Cawarral property.

He is the seventh person ever to contract the virus.

Queensland chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said test results came back on Thursday morning.

"One of the four suspected ... of getting a Hendra viral infection has been confirmed as positive," Dr Young said.

She said the original tests of everyone who had any degree of exposure to the Hendra-affected horses on the property came back negative.

"Should any of them develop symptoms they will (also) be tested on the spot," Dr Young said.

"If they don't we will retest them three weeks after they last had exposure."
    News alerts: Get breaking news first. Download free ninemsn news alerts now.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Update :(

Hendra vet remains on life support
    09:47 AEST Fri Aug 21 2009
    ago

A Rockhampton vet suffering from Hendra virus remains on life support in a Brisbane hospital.

A spokesman for Princess Alexandra Hospital says veterinary surgeon Alister Rodgers remains in a critical, but stable condition after testing positive to the Hendra virus.

He was flown to Brisbane on Wednesday after developing the disease despite a course of the drug ribavirin at Rockhampton Hospital.

Three other staff members from the J4S Equine Nursery in Cawarral, northeast of Rockhampton, have a wait of several weeks before they can be cleared of the virus.

Mr Rodgers continues to be monitored while biosecurity authorities await more horse test results.

The vet came into close contact with two infected horses, both of which died.

Mr Rodgers is the seventh person ever to contract the virus. Three of those have died.

On Thursday night, staff from the Redlands Veterinary Clinic met to remember Brisbane vet Ben Cunneen, who died from the virus one year ago.

In the latest outbreak, 24 horses on the J4S stud are under quarantine, despite testing negative earlier this week.

A spokesman for Biosecurity Queensland said three horses have been retested after displaying high temperatures.

The results are expected to be known on Friday, he said.

His poor family.
    I am glad I dont have to worry about Hendra virus. It sounds like an awful disease

3. princesssparkles

princesssparkles Active Member

not good at all! hope hes gonna be ok

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Vet with Hendra virus dies in hospital
    10:09 AEST Wed Sep 2 2009
    ago

Queensland Health Minister Paul Lucas has passed on his condolences to the family of a vet who died of the Hendra virus.

Alister Rodgers from Rockhampton died after contracting the virus from a sick horse on a Cawarral stud farm.

Mr Rodgers was in intensive care at the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

A spokeswoman for the hospital confirmed his death.

"All I can confirm is that he has passed away," she said.

Mr Rodgers is believed to be the fourth person in the world to die from the bat-borne disease.

Mr Lucas told state parliament on Wednesday Mr Rogers died overnight.

"I've sent my deepest sympathies to his family," he said.

"This is a terrible tragedy for his family and they are being supported by the staff of Princess Alexandra Hospital.

"They've requested privacy and I would ask that people respect this at this time."

The vet treated a foal at J4S horse nursery in Cawarral, that was originally believed to have died from a snake bite in July.

Queensland Health is expected to release more details later on Wednesday.

taken from ninemsn

so sad. my condolances to his family and friends

5. samm

samm Gold Member

I was just reading the news article and saw this.
    How very sad for his family.I can imagine the owner of the horse he treated wouldn't be feeling too good at the moment either.

6. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Just got an email as I am member with QHC.....very sad!

Released 2 September 2009 10am

QHC offers condolences to the family of veterinarian Dr Alister Rodgers
    It is with great sadness that we hear of the death of Dr Alister Rodgers as a result of a Hendra Virus (HeV) infection.

The Queensland Horse Council Inc. would like to express its sincerest condolences to Dr Rodgers’ family, friends and colleagues.

We are all devastated by Dr Rodgers’ passing, our vets are often our family, friends or colleagues, as they work closely with us and assist us in our hours of need. We are sincerely disturbed when they come to harm as a result of treating our horses.

Dr Rodgers is the seventh person known to have contracted HeV, and the fourth to die as a result. HeV is passed from certain species of flying foxes, to horses and can be transferred from infected horses to humans whilst they are being cared for, treated and handled, including conducting a post mortem.

All horse owners in Queensland need to be resolute in supporting all efforts to find a solution to the Hendra Virus.