Updated pic of weird colored filly

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Pepsea, Jan 29, 2011.

1. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Yup for Silver. When you got her tested did you do the base colour test too?

2. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Nah I just tested for cream, have emailed asking if her sample has been disposed of yet or if they still have it I will get more tests done, other wise I'll send more off!

3. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Wow.. I was gonna say pally til I read the rest of the thread.. But I've never seen a flaxen mane and tail quite so white..
    So I agree with taelisyn, good idea to test her for something else..
    She's stunning anyway! Will definetly stand out from the crowd :D

4. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

I would have said taffy...but I didn't know colours had designated genes these days. It that all colours or only some colours? Maybe we don't know all the genes that can result in a taffy offspring..?? ';'

That being said, i like nomenculture over genetics so I may be way the wrong kind of nerd and pedantic to enter this conversation... *#)

Whatever she is, she is unusual and gorgeous, and I will happily take her off your hands if you like :-D

5. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Taffy and silver are genetically the same colour WP.
    All colours and many patterns have genes, a lot have been identified but they are still working on the tests for.

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Haha thanx guys she isn't officially mine yet, I have her on lease/payment terms :) very lucky to be friends with her breeder!

7. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Cheers for the info :) Filed away in my brain, and will expand on it as I get the urge. I want a pally......wah! Or a Taffy....

This info does help with if I ever buy in utero...hrmm....

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Lol I bred a pally! I do love him and I do love pallies, but a nice bay is my preference haha

Oh yer this filly was born chestnut looking!

9. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

10. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Looking at those pics again I think taffy/silver :) Just by the look of the mane.. It doesn't look white or yellow like flaxen does (even in Lollyems pics you can se the yellow) It looks more a silver colour to me, unless its the glare/sunlight on it.

But I'm definetly FAR from a geneticist, so its just IMO :)

11. lollyem

The original picture looks like it was taken on an overcast day, like the one of this purebred arab (scanned from one of my ancient mags)
    [​IMG]

My vote is still for flaxen chestnut!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  12. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Wow the second pic, I always thought it wasnt a pure bred and was pally... Are you sure lol? There are people breeding dilute Arabs getting back to the very high % hehe

From what I remember it wasn't overly overcast lol.
    I did wash her tail the other day so was much cleaner haha! Her mane isn't really yellow/flaxen

13. alexander

alexander Well-known Member

Does she have Rose of Sharon back in her arabian pedigree?

I have some info here about this line and the chestnuts with flaxen manes and tails, I used to own a descendant who was also this colour.

Zuleika

14. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Both her parents have some % Arab so once I'm back online on a computer, not my iPhone I will look to see :)

15. lollyem

The little chocolate flaxen colt is by Talika Rhinegold( by Ringing Gold who has a couple of crosses to Rose of Sharon) out of Picadilly Camilla (by Count Manilla - who also has Rose of Sharon in his pedigree!). The magazine is the 1981 issue of Arabian Studs and Stallions and when I was 12 that colt was my fantasy horse ! I wonder what colour he grew up to be? Love the colour of your filly!!

16. lollyem

Re: the Tiffany Ranch stallion - he is a purebred, but I don't think they have any evidence (ie cream testing) that he is palomino, they just claim that he is. If you look at his page, NONE of his purebred progeny are pally or bucky - only the partbreds. Only in America.......:}