Update on Mandela

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sugar's Mum, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

but.....*#)*#)*#):)*

Thank you so much Dr Vale. That is a wonderful offer and one I will take you up on. Just waiting for three things before I call.

1. Dont want to call you when you are just starting your day.
    2. Want to make sure that I have uninterupted time so I can give your experience my full attention.
    3. So I can see what Mani is like this morning after his acupuncture session which ended up being yesterday. I figure the more info I can give you the better.

Once again thank you so much for your offer of assistance for my Mani. I very much appreciate it.

2. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

**) Excellent SM..Good Luck!

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I would suggest that the weight of the rider, and the fit of the saddle, and the waythe horse is ridden is compounding the pain - thus improvement in video without rider. However, the horse is clearly sore in both.

Awesome offer from Warwick :)*

4. Erika Roberts

Erika Roberts Active Member

omg! is DEZ <3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
  5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

What a gorgeous man Woki is :)
    I am sure with his knowledge we can help Mani as best can be done.

Thank you again so much Woki. Talk to you soon

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

What does Warwick think is the problem?

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have sent him as much info as I can via email. He is going to check it out and then talk with me. I will let you know the outcome.

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

warwick vale is a ripper of a vet who always has the horse's best interests at heart. i love all the vets at bullsbrook & have nothing but exceptional experiences with them.

hopefully with his very kind offer & expertise, SM, you can sort out mandela's issues & he will be pain free.

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

thanks Blitzen. It's nice to hear good things :)

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

OK so Dr Vale's suggestion is as before with the extra info. That x-rays and nerve blocks will get to the bottom of the problem and give me a diagnosis to work with. I very much appreciate his time and concern.

So I am going to get that sorted but it will take me a little while to get the money together. I hate owing money so will get the money first. Shouldn't be too long then I will post the results.

For those interested in photos of Mani's feet there are some at For Friends pictures by ImmortalShande - Photobucket

They have been examined by an equine podiatrist and her advice was to shorten the breakover on the front to allow the change of the angle of his feet as they grow out.

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Oh excellent SM.....it is gonna cost a bit of money, but you are doing the best thing by your boy and I comment you for this..:)

Good Luck, I hope the outcome is good for Mani;)

12. GG GRL

GG GRL New Member

Those who have ACTUALLY ATTENDED or PARTICIPATED in Lou's clinics would know that he teaches body position & body language to be key elements in horsemanship.
    He also preaches that a proper fitting saddle is essential.
    Yes the relationship comes first.....it has to!

My suggestion to anyone thinking of attending ANY instructor/clinican/trainer/ clinics or lessons would be to ignore any negativity that comes from other people and just go and see them for yourself and make up your own mind!!
    Dont listen to "hear say"...............even if you dont learn anything you think can help you.....you'll probably learn what not to do!!

13. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

So out of interest yesterday I took him for a bike ride (People must think I am nuts lol) and he was a little more forward then in the past.

Today he got some more massage and a little bike riding.

He is spontaineously trotting and a little canter more then he has in the past and the quality of movement is improving, however all the horses are a little toey today. Think there must be bad weather in the not to distant future.

Am saving my little heart out and will do the xray stuff as soon as I can.

14. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

The feet need a bit more than just the breakover shortened! The feet really are in a need of a good trim, way too much heel on and toes need to be backed up and foot needs to be put back in shape. The horses heels are not so much "contracted", they are not the greatest but there is just way too much heel on. These hooves cannot work properly until they are put back in shape....if the feet are not right the horse isn't right! Following Dr Vale's advice is definitely the way to go!

15. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

for those who are interested.

Mani has had massage, bowen acupuncture and pentosan while waiting to save the money to get the lameness test and xrays/nerveblock done as the quote was up to a thousand and I could not wait to save that up to help ease his pain.

All those things added up to a horse that was happy enough to attend another Lou Francis clinic.

My god that man is beyond magic in the things he can do with horses.

Man's problems are emotional not physical. He had an enormous change at the clinic to the point where I have a horse who was relaxed calmly, rider on his back in the centre of the round yard while other horses and riders were charging around left right and centre.

This horse when I first got him would be trying to run away before I got my but settled into the saddle.

The gaiting is an emotional problem. At the clinic after a huge amount of mental work, the wonderful guidance of Lou and Lou and Rachel getting on him and working him Man turned a corner and I got some beautiful trotting and cantering in the round yard in amoung the other riders. With no pacing, ambling or stress. It was very interesting to see that Man was as stressed and chaotic in movement and mind when Lou first got on as when I was riding him.

This horse was hurting so badly emotionally that it caused all the physical problems which lead to pain which further complicated things.

It was amazing to see the difference in Man when he started to realise that his rider was not going to attack him or cause him hurt.

I have a lot of learning to do to continue to help Man improve but with the help and support of Lou the difference is just incredible.

Lou has an amazing ability with horses. He understands their soul and their needs and creates such an amazing bond in the partnership with his horses. Lou and his beautiful wife Jo have such enormous hearts. They so generously gave me the gift of this clinic to help my gorgeous horse and I have never been given such an amazing gift in my life. Having Man in my life has already made me a better horseperson. Through Man I found the guidance of Lou to help me achieve my goal of helping my Man.

If anyone is interested to talk further about Man's journey please feel free to contact me privately.
    I wont be posting any more on here. anyone who is interested in postively sharing our journey is welcome to talk.