Update on Man

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sugar's Mum, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

gave Man a shot of Pentosan today. it was 4 weeks yesterday and he was just a touch stiff when crossing his forelegs to turn a tight corner.
    Today I gave him his normal massage to the trapezius and also did his pectorals.

He started out slowly but ended up wanting to work fast and broke into trot/amble several times.

He is moving smoothly and happily.I am thinking about taking him to the beach to get him to stretch out and see how comfortable he is. He is starting to get stroppy with the dog and striking the ground with his forelegs which says to me he is far more comfortable in his shoulders.

He had a mad gallop around yesterday :)

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

definately more comfortable in himself.
    Lunged him in the round yard and when he showed signs of lameness gave him a strong massage and sent him around again.

I am not sure if he warms up through it or if he works out that it is not hurting but he ended up with a lovely smooth trot and was cantering in hte paddock yesterday so today we warmed up in the round yard and then I got on trotting and cantering once he was settled. Trotting with his head down below his knees for patches although goodness me he has a buck on him.

Once he worked out that it wasn't getting me off he settled and we got some nice trot and canter.

I am sure he is not sore anymore as he chooses to trot around me about an arms length away from me and he wouldn't be doing that if he was sore.

I think we will be finally ready to make some real strides forward.

3. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

This statement is ridiculous? My mare has arthritis and even when she is ridiculously sore and stiff if you put her in the roundyard she lunge herself even when she head bobs from lameness??

If you have ever seen a horse at the track break its leg galloping they will keep running on the shattered limb..

Just because he trots around you doesn't mean he isn't sore!!

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

So true.

My lame horse will gallop around the paddock with the other horses ';' doesn't mean I'm gonna ride him.

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Kenoath was on 3 legs with an abscess in his foot and still managed to trot after my OH and get in front of him to stop him so he could get the carrots in OHs hand!

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Sweety has a fractured knee and still hoons around like an idiot-but she'll never be riding sound....

7. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i think this has gone on long enough?? just let the poor guy retire! he is not sound, and by all this i doubt he ever will be.. you still dont know whats wrong so just let him live his life out. please dont ride him, please dont work him. hes lame which = pain... prob just making it worse...

i vagueley remember when you brought this horse - he was sold on as not to be ridden? is that correct? or am i thinking of someone else?

8. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Bucking as a sign of pain much???

9. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

Some people just cant be told... After all this your going through and hes still lame every month... he needs all this done etc etc just so you can hop on and walk around but cant trot because hes lame? Hes bucking and lame but you still continue to ride him ? Retire the poor old man!
    Im sorry if that sounds harsh and im not being rude but for godsake the poor horse is in pain and you just continue to ride it for your own pleasure??

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

This is just ongoing stupidity.

The op is stubbornly continueing with her own selfish wants, it doesn't appear to be about the horse anymore.

Letter for a Lame Horse

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I have a question for the OP.... what the hell are you trying to prove to us and the world by persevering with this horse? Are you afraid of admitting that so many people here are right? Put this horse down and put the money you are spending on treatments towards something more productive or maybe even towards some decent lessons for your daughter so that she may finally get the honest compliments that she has been after.

12. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

GR- if i could Like that post 1000 times i would!

13. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Interesting article NG **)

14. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Well said GR.. completely agree!

15. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Only posting to say that K IS having lessons with a very invaluable instructor. How dare you think he's not valuable because K still comes on here to ask questions?

FAR OUT.

I agree that this has gone on for a very long time, but it's none of my business to get my knickers into a knot over.

16. PetaBizz

Im not sure where anyone said that the instructor isnt a good instructor?? :confused: The problem being with SJK4E is that she posts questions and asks for advice and then proceeds to argue with anyone game enough to answer as to why she knows better than everybody else on this forum. People are tired of it, I know I am. This is actually a very sad situation. A vet has been on and told SM not to ride this horse until she finds out the root of the problem, yet they continue to ride the poor horse, drugged to the eyeballs! Im sorry but I am a little sick of hearing about this poor horse and considering phoning the RSPCA. ITS GONE ON LONG ENOUGH AND IS EXTREMELY CRUEL

17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

^

A vet has also seen this horse IN PERSON and has said differently to a vet who has seen images and documentation through a computer. Everyone goes on about having to see a horse in person before making a judgement on vet advice etc and yet you just wrote that she should listen to a vet talking through a keyboard?

Plussss, I was told to put my old gelding on Cartrophen for the rest of his life, and we were going to until we found other natural substances that helped him A LOT more than the cartrophen ever did. Perhaps if SM looked more into MSM/Celery seeds/chia seeds/technyflex/glucosymine then there wouldn't be this issue.

It's not like I enjoy reading that Man's still sore, but I also don't like people pushing others to put a horse down or whatever because they really have no idea unless they were there from the journey's beginning, and have actually seen this horse in the flesh.

I'm going over in the next couple of days hopefully to take some photos of K riding FOR YOU LOT, so perhaps i'll poke my head back into this viscious vibe of a thread and tell you all what i have seen, from someone who has no emotional attatchment to the horse.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. PetaBizz

Pretty sure SM spoke to Warwick Vale at length about this horse on the phone. I have watched the footage and I believe this horse is in serious pain even with it being masked by drugs. The OP put Latte down for a lot less #(

Your emotional attachment is there through your friendship with the OP and her daughter. Please do not take this as a personal attack on you but please open both your eyes and have a full read of this thread which clearly details the pain this horse is in. I will be giving my name when I contact teh RSPCA, I do not hide behind false names. What you see is what you get. I will not tolerate cruelty #(

19. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

That's what I was thinking when I wrote my post :}

CelestialDancer I really really look forward to seeing these photos you're going to take and I really really hope that they show just how wrong we are :)) Honestly, I will be the first person to say 'wow, good job, you're riding well' and you can hold me to that **)

Back to this thread :}

Yeah I have no more to contribute........ yet!

20. Firedance

Firedance Well-known Member

I believe this is correct - so be aware people - this is quite often how your much loved horse ends up if you pass them on under this label - not to be ridden!!! OMG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.