Update on Man

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Sugar's Mum, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

camera was stolen from the car. Shall have to get more photos of him as they are a good way to record what is happening.
    Thanks for the tip re soil testing will check that out on Monday.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

his movement is improving. He took off at a flat out gallop today when the dump truck was dumping a load of sand next door. Also chasing the filly around a little.

Happy to be caught so saddled up and went for a quiet walk out along the bridle paths. He wanted to run back home but I said we were walking.

Walking normally in his cooler rug which can soemtimes cause him to restrict his shoulder movement if he is sore.

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

had three days of gentle riding. He is much happier. At walk he is so happy adn calm. I found the go slow button today and he was trailing behind the horses we were riding with.

Had a little bit of trotting last night until he stumbled which hurt him as he had to slam his foot down to recover. When trotting he was happy and relaxed ocne he knew I was pleased with him.

Today he was so happy to ride out and we stuck to walk.
    Am thinking that boots might help him by absorbing a bit of concussion. Shall look into that.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

bloody mad horse was galloping madly round the paddock last night screaming because his mate was up the other end of the property. Not too much wrong with him right now lol.

Had a lovely quiet ride tonight and stood gossiping with friends. One friend commented how happy he was just snoozing while we chatted.

5. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

I have sent you a PM re the hoof bandages.

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Thanks so much Lisa :) I have sent off an email :)

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Did you know that yawning in horses can mean a very different thing than with humans. Yawning in horses can be a sign of stress and anxiety. Not saying it is in your horses case, but just think that is interesting and something that a lot of people may dismiss. By your last posts he sounds like he might be on the improve...fingers crossed:)*

8. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

thanks for your comments Elanda.

This is the bit I find so hard about having access to such a lot of information.

Some people swear that yawning and sighing is a sign of a thinking horse who is taking in the lesson and thinking about it.

Others say it is a sign of stress.

I have seen a write up that was done on horses blood levels of cortisol that said the yawning was a sign of stress as it happened when the cortisol levels were high. Wish I could remember where I read it so I could check it out again.

I think it is something that needs to be taken as one of many signs to figure out what is happening. The set of his ears, the way he is holding his body.

I tend to find with Man that it follows something that he had to really think about and perhaps did cause him stress but that it seems to be his relax trigger after doing something different and I have given him a smooch to say he did a good job. The next time I ask for that job he is more understanding about the job.

9. domingo

domingo Active Member

I found with my horses that yawning comes after work and is accompanied by relaxing and just about going to sleep. I have not noticed it as sign of anxiety, but I agree, all these 'signs' need to be taking in context, not as individual proof of something.

Good luck with your horse, SM.

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Thanks Domingo :)

Well I had a very interesting day today.

Had an osteo out to work on my Man today. He makes his living travelling the world treating horses. Started treating people then turned to horses and has many years of experience. He is very well respected in my home town and I have been recommended him before but found out he was leaving oz in a few weeks and so bit the bullet and had him out.

So his findings.

The pain and discomfort is from old old injuries. The current riding that I am doing is not causing him any further problems although I would love to save up and buy a dressage saddle as this guy doesn't like western saddles.

He thinks the problems with Man are caused by the work that he used to do years ago and that the muscles remember that they were injured so I need to slowly slowly build up the work to prevent the muscles triggering into a cramp again.

He found pain in areas that refer from the right pectoral muscles which cramp down as soon as the girth is tightened over them. Also pain in the loins from old injury and neck problems from old injury.

So these sore points cause him to try to carry his right shoulder resulting in the lameness that I was seeing.

So my homework is to get a real sheep skin cover for the girth and keep it clean and washed in fabric softener to ensure there are no pressure points.
    To do lots and lots and lots of walking and take time to build up the muscles slowly to prevent them cramping up and getting sore again.

He also recommended to put him on devil's claw and comfry as it will work as well or better then pentosan and be cheaper.

No riding for two days to give him the chance to get used to the muscles the way they are now.

You could see straight away that he was moving more smoothly and that the sore spots were gone when repalpated.

So fingers crossed we will see how we go.

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Are we allowed to ask the name of this guru? He sounds a very interesting person to know.

12. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

If it is who I am thinking of Nannygoat then he is really really good, I can pm you his name if you are interested though I doubt he will travel :))

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Sugars Mum, I'll Pm you about a girth I have that you can borrow for a while to see if it will make him more comfortable, if you want.

14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Nannygoat I have pm'd you his name. He really is lovely and so lovely with the horses. He talks to them all the way through the treatment and tells them when it is going to hurt and is happy to explain exactly what it is he is doing to anyone who asks questions. He wants ot teach you as much as you want to absorb.

It is very deep tissue work and really does seem to hurt the horse when he gets the trigger points but the horses just seem to suck it up and the speed with which the muscles relax is amazing. The difference in teh muscle within a few seconds is amazing. Makes my massage efforts look very very uneducated. I do know that trigger point work in people is incredibly painful but effective

Over the years I have heard his name mentioned many times and have had him suggested a couple of times for Man but not had the funds at the time. I did get his old apprentice out right at the start of our journey. However he (The osteo) is heading back overseas in a few weeks and I had to get it done or it wont be done for months.

Deb2 thank you so much for your offer have pm'd you back.

15. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Not different! people yawn when they are anxious too! watch sprinters before a 100m dash they will often yawn and they are not tired or relaxed! It's been put down as something that is done to get a boost, so done when slowing down for the day but also when ramping up just grabbing a bit of extra O2 for the brain. Sorry useless contribution really but wanted to point it out because Yawning is cool *#) Do you also know that someone can only make you yawn if they have power over you. Babies(little ones) can make their parents yawn but parents can't make babies yawn!

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

no such thing as a useless contribution TBPA it is always interesting to learn new things :)

17. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I yawned when I read that...then laughed!:)* You have power over me TBPA.:)*

18. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Hahaha!! I felt a yawn coming up and was chanting to myself "Don't yawn, don't yawn, don't yawn" and managed to hold it down. You don't have power over me TBPA!! **) *#) :))

19. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

so of course I started yawning lol.
    Had a lovely quiet ride out tonight, he didn't want to be caught thought I might get stuck into those muscles I think but his muscles are definately more relaxed and he was a happy horse.

20. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

coming up for three weeks post pentosan and had a lovely walk tonight.
    He was wanting to go faster but was happy enough when I said we were only walking.

Have a homemade sheepskin girth cover and he walks out happily in it and no grumbles as the girth is done up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.