update on Magic

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

As usual - there is just soooo much wrong with all this.

Free horses always cost money.

Actually there are no insinuations - it is vey clear from what you keep writing.

Totally different breeds of horse. Love the OR ELSE. what? Or you will lose your temper again and hit her? It's what you do after all. Damn right you cant flog a TB!!

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

What a fascinating read this thread is :)

3. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Lol at people not reading your responses in your thread. I am still impressed that you even keep trying to post on here!:))

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Well I'm sorry you read it that way but you need to remember the horse community is small, especially the racing side of it. And when I have constantly read here, on other threads and even other sites about how she was like that when you got her and you pretty much say how she wasn't well handled and that she is that way because of her 'breeding' well I find it a bit upsetting. I try my best to stay out of it, I really do but to 'insinuate' that her previous owners caused her 'issues' is just outright lies. I'm sorry if you feel this is an attack on you I honestly don't mean it that way but its not right to bad mouth those who not only aren't hear to defend themselves but haven't done anything wrong.

I'm also fairly confident you make things sound a lot worse then they are. And if you don't then one should be worried with the amount of 'injuries' etc this filly has had in the short time you've owned her. Exaggeration is what causes half the posts you don't like.

Now just to make it very clear I dont mean to come across negative. It's the Internet after all people will read posts in whatever tone they please and I'm not the best at the written wording of things.

5. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Yeah..... I'm done with this thread. Once again some great advice and even great support has been given to but of course you know best.

I find your posts insulting... I'm done....

6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

7. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

NG - you know I have the utmost respect for you and on many levels, I do agree with you.
    But it's time to just leave this be as although you obviously just want the best for the horse, your opinion will fall on deaf ears as always.

SJK4eva - I know you didn't want this thread to go this way, but much of the stuff you have said has been asking for the responses you've gotten. I wish you all the best with finding a trainer for your girl. I have a great guy in mind who has broken in and worked will all our horses on the ground and done a fantastic job. He's in Cowaramup. Let me know if you want his number :)

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Should have been locked ages ago Sherridin :eek:

9. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Nowhere did I say her breeding made her how she is? yeah she's a red TB filly, and I'm not really sure what I was thinking taking on such a creature (being that in my reading of VERY experienced horsemen's thoughts on the matter, young red mares are more sensitive than other horses, generally speaking), but I'm not blaming her breeding for any of that. When I commented to NP that my girl was also from the Danehill line, it was to express my surprise that a horse from a line that is supposed to typically produce quiet TB's has produced a reactive one. But I feel like that probably came from somewhere else. Her dam, perhaps, or (more likely in my eyes) not her breeding at all.

I thank you all again for your words of advice. E4E, thanks, but no thanks. I know his number, and will be calling him if the other local-ish options don't come to fruition.

I will once again reiterate that I saw her rearing with (AT) her previous owner. I'm not 100% sure why she threw a fit, only that the trigger was quite clearly the bum rope, and that it was not a reaction I or anyone else expected. Kicking, sure, bucking, yeah, but rearing up and at the people? Patient persistence got her on the float in the end, and patient persistence has been working very well with her... but I have decided that I am in over my head and she is too big and too sensitive to have mistakes made.

So, BEFORE I make a mistake I can't rectify, I want to send her to a trainer. Meanwhile, I am handling her, but not trying to teach her anything new. Just asking for good manners, and trying to get her to stop freaking out over routine things. We are getting there.

NOT ONCE have I hit this horse. I have put her in her place several times, and every time she rears there are consequences, but NOT ONCE have I hit her. Oh, I've smacked the ground with the lead, and I've flicked her a couple of times lightly, heck I've even cupped her hip HARD when I was teaching her about yielding her hindquarter. But I have never "flogged" her, have never done anything painful. Cupping is actually massage, and it's more about the energy than the actual act of the cupping.

As to her injuries. She went over the round yard fence because I put pressure on at the wrong time, being used to horses that will blow through you through rudeness. She was afraid, and didn't see the options of turning around or cutting across the yard. She only saw escape in out. I timed it wrong. Yep, I made a mistake. I have learned from that mistake and now she's happy to walk/trot/canter both ways. She went lame from thrush due to the extreme wet (our place is low so we get a lot of runoff, and when it's been raining solid for a week or two, yeah, horses get thrush, because there's nowhere dry to stand). That came good. Then she went lame due to some hamstring or achilles issue, which she keeps re-doing. My neighbours have dirt bikes which she's terrified of, so I can't yard or stable her, because if I do she just runs around and injures the hammie/achilles. She comes good for a few days, then something happens (neighbours, or a storm, or one of the other horses chases her) and she goes lame again. Can't keep her alone or she stresses and runs around, and re-injures herself. She's taken skin off a couple of times on fences but nothing serious and the ONLY injury that happened while I was around was when she went over the round yard fence.

Again, thank you all for your advice, both constructive and not so constructive. All of it is being considered and in fact it was your advice that tipped the balance of my thoughts to make the decision to send her to a trainer. I was on the fence, I am now decided.

I'm not good at telling people that I'm taking their advice but I do consider each and every word.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I commented on another TB thread about this... But I think you get caught up way too much into lines!! Just because one line is 'generally' quiet doesn't mean all will... I don't think it's 'more likely it's not her breeding', I think it's definitely not.

This is going to go on and on and on, just get a trainer and get the help you and your horse need :)) I think it's important to factor in a budget when getting a young free/cheap TB (or any horse of any age for that matter I guess!) to budget in training PRIOR to getting the horse... That way when issues arrive you can on top of it ASAP instead of having to wait to save $, find a trainer etc etc

11. ShowjumpKid4Eva

OK, definitely not her breeding. Honestly she comes across as very very quiet despite the outbursts... sounds a bit contradictory but it's almost like she's got a panic switch. I thought Blackbat had it spot on with the pressure cooker description, she keeps a lid on it as long as she can but then all that pressure has to go somewhere. Somehow she needs to be shown that it's ok to react to the scary, and then I think her reactions won't be so big when they do happen.

A trainer will be gotten but has to be saved for first. I fully expected to have hard work and groundwork lessons to pay for, but I've decided I simply can't do this alone... she is more sensitive than I bargained for, and I'm not ready to be training a sensitive horse without a professional establishing, at the very least, a 'relax' aid. I'm trying to, but not having a lot of success. I don't think I have quite enough feel and timing.

Regardless, I'm sure she'll make faster progress with someone who has more experience, better timing, and better feel. I always intended to have a professional break her in, but initially thought I had the experience to do the groundwork preparation myself... I have done it before with a young horse, but as mentioned, the previous youngster was nowhere near as sensitive.

Had I been paid money, perhaps, for Satin, I would have had money aside straight away for a few weeks of professional training. But I made an arrangement with Mum which was mutually agreeable to both of us, and still is. Satin is in an awesome home, I have a beautiful young horse with a ton of potential, and I'm learning a heap. But, and this is an important but, I don't think that this particular horse is really ideal for someone who's still learning the ins and outs of training young horses. She's a horse for a horseman, not a layman. And I'm a layman.

Hence the professional. When I have some money available. To hopefully shape her into something that a layman CAN handle without dangerous behaviour happening. If not? I'll have to face facts and find someone for her who DOES have more experience, better timing, and better feel. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that because I'm totally smitten with her, but if things are too dangerous or this horse is being wasted with me, then so be it. That being said, I need to be the one to make that decision. Or I need to be advised such by a professional who has worked with the horse.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Well, we've most of us had horses that have had us stumped, at one time or another. That's how we are motivated to learn more. You have an unprecedented level of sharing SJ, and your learning journey sure is interesting reading.

I'd love to know how things pan out with the trainer of your choice, and if Magic's general confidence improves. It's frustrating, and daunting, when you are trying to find ways to help a horse feel confident- when it is generally terrified just hanging out at home with it's friends. Like there is no default baseline of calm to return to. I see my horse rigid with fear, unable to eat or walk around the paddock because he is searching the trees with white eyes, while his paddock mates calmly go about their business. How do you create calm through training in a horse that lives lthat way? I'd pay my whole wage to any trainer who could change that.

13. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Thank you Blackbat :)

I don't think my girl is anywhere near as bad as your boy. She, at least, seems calm when people aren't around. The moment people come into the equation she's convinced someone's going to eat her, but watching her in the paddock out the window I have seen nothing but calm. Occasionally if the neighbours are hooning around on their dirtbikes she will have a bit of a freakout, but dirtbikes are scary. I haven't had a horse that wasn't terrified of them the first few times it saw them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.