update on Magic

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Do you want his number?

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

That just does not make sense????? What sort of horse trainer does not take a horse with 'issues'?

Do you make it sound worse than it really is???

3. beau

beau Well-known Member

Sorry just my two cents worth, but any "decent" trainer would not be knocking back a horse with issues, this is what they do - heck my breaker is only young, but he can nip any probs we have, have never been turned down with a problem horse.

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

Makes perfect sense to me Deb.
    If someone rang you to sort out THEIR horses "issues" and then preceded to tell you what they will and will not tolerate you doing to their horse to "fix it" you too would not want to take this horse on with issues either :D

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

yer maybe the trainers read stockies and realise that the *issues* arent with the horse...................

6. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

I would love his number A, can you PM it to me?

It doesn't make sense to me either, honestly. And as far as I'm concerned, if I like the results a trainer has, and I've decided they are worth paying to work with my horse, then they can do whatever the heck they like with said horse. Provided, of course, that they get the results. THIS horse needs a person with a heck of a lot of tact (which, and I will be the first person to admit it, I don't always have), but I would hope a professional trainer knows when to push harder and when to say ok, that shift of weight is enough.

Also, if the problem was solely with ME, I would still be having issues with Monty... and Magic would be consistently getting worse, NOT better.

7. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I think there's probably some fibs going on here or these 'trainers' are having you on. We've taken on awful awful horses before with a truckload of issues. Including a couple of rearing fillys. And we're doing alot more than just ground work with these horses, we're actually getting on their backs. Sorry I find it very hard to believe that good trainers are knocking you back on ground work training just because she rears. And being 'sensitive' is nothing. Majority of thoroughbred fillys are sensitive. Hence the silly filly tag.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

I'm with a lot of people rearing on the ground is not that big of an issue undersaddle would be a different story!! :p My dad is a trainer and i work with him and generally specialize with ground manners and what you have described here wouldn't faze mr tbh.

9. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Well, I contacted plenty of people who advertise themselves as breakers/retrainers, and every single one of them said, nope, we don't take horses with issues. I was like, REALLY?

I don't really want her going too far, getting her on the float in the first place is likely to prove challenging and although she seems to travel ok she rears when you stop. (this based off the one trip to get her home)

I know a couple of names in Margs and one more local to me (which hopefully celestialdancer will be PM'ing me his number soon), all of whom would willingly take her on, but the problem with knowing the names is that I don't know the numbers. Shame really because one in particular I really want to have break my girl in when she's ready.

Edit; the other thing that I'm finding challenging is finding a female trainer. I have contacted a few and every single one has informed me that they don't take problem horses (soon as I mention rearing, people hear "problem horse"... when she's not a problem horse, she's a horse with a problem). She's a bit funny about men, which means that a male trainer would benefit her MORE in the long run, but she would probably have to be there longer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. Narelle28

Narelle28 Active Member

It seams weird I actually had a lady send me two of her horses from Victoria a couple of yrs ago one we fixed the other got put down both had rearing problems amoung other things.

So alot of people do help with those problems just so you know I DO NOT train other peoples horse so its not an advert. Im just saying you will eventually find someone to help you

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Can I ask how many you contacted that turned you down? And truck her and get the trainer to fix the floating issue while she is there.

Also, perhaps get your mum to do the phoning, as I wonder if the people on the other end of the phone just hear a young voice and dont take you seriously

Also, cant you google white pages and get these elusive trainers phone numbers?

I find many numbers that way.

12. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

The horse doesn't have any rearing 'issues'. She just hasn't had the basic ground work put into her properly. This is learnt behaviour it's not an 'issue'!!!

This 'issue' is actually a very easy problem to fix if you have the right facilities and are experienced enough. I can't imagine any good experienced trainer would knock back a horse like this. This behaviour is very common in young ill handled youngsters. :}

EDIT. I meant resolve not fix.....

13. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Just want to say that if this is a training issue it isn't me as she came to me with this issue. I have not forgotten watching her when previous owner was trying to put her on the float and she reared up and went at him and the lady I had been corresponding with and caught the lady's shoulder. No aggression with me for a while now although she does go upon occasion.

14. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Well all I can say is she was successfully floated well in the past and was very well handled from birth to the time she left her previous owners. Please remember the horse community of wa is small one.

15. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

I'm certainly not saying these problems are your fault.

It does IMO seem as though she has learnt some bad behaviour. From what you've posted on here IMO it seems as though she has well and truly got it over you.

These issues need to be resolved BEFORE she gets labelled dangerous. If you don't have the experience or facilities then getting a trainer ASAP is most beneficial for both of you.

In my completely honest opinion, you don't have enough experience with young horses to dictate to trainers what you want. Sometimes what we want or think is the best method is not a reality. I don't mean to offend you at all I'm just stating my opinion from what you've posted.

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

Yep get your mum to ring up the trainers as you make her sound worse than what she is.
    She is a NORMAL horse and has responded like any NORMAL horse that has had not much handling.
    90% of young horses without much handling behave in the exact same manner !!!!!!
    You have given her a worse reputation than she needed (meaning you have made her out to be worse than what she is, simply because you have never seen or dealt with this before)

17. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I don't think rearing and her kind of behaviour is that unusual for a young horse that's only had a bit of handling. All part of a young horse working out boundaries...all the young horses I've been around try it! Obviously I wouldn't be impressed if my riding horse started doing it because he knows better.

My suggestion would be to NOT go on about her issues and just ask that she have some ground work put into her so that she knows what is expected of her. To me she just sounds like she's testing boundaries to see what she's allowed to get away with... Just my opinion. She sounds like a very smart little filly.

18. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

BC Horse Training is nearish to you. I'm sure that they will even pick up and deliver your horse if you asked them. Jo is lovely lady and easy to deal with and you are welcome to come and visit your horse as it is being trained.

Jo also instructs so you could continue with regular lessons when you get her home. She is JBear on here, but i haven't seen her around for a while **)

19. goog

goog Well-known Member

to be honest and I hope i don't offend, the horse is behaving like a spoilt horse with incorrect handling, not abused just not had the correct groundwork and training for her to understand how she fits into your world and she is behaving accordingly.

You have probably missed all the little evasions that she has managed to learn whilst you are training her and these will escalate to an unhappy horse. Sherriden and Smash are correct, you probably just need a hand with a suitably qualified trainer to assist you.

20. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Thanks everyone :) yes I fully intend to send her to a trainer, however have to save first.

She is IMPROVING with me, rearing less often and she isn't rearing aggressively any more like she was at the start and like I SAW with previous owner. So I don't really appreciate the insinuations that it must be my fault, particularly from SBB. I don't doubt she was well handled by the stud as she has lovely manners 99% of the time.

I think a lot of you are forgetting that this is not my first young horse, and that the one I had before knows A LOT more than she did when I got her. Said previous young horse would have become very dangerous very quickly had I allowed her to get away with things. Magic, on the other hand, would get very dangerous very quickly if I worked with her with the same approach. With Satin, my attitude was YOU WILL OR ELSE. With Magic, I have to be more tactful. I have to take things on a day-by-day basis and decide whether it's even worth asking for whatever.

Today, she had an OMG moment. Head up, terrified eyes, running backwards away from me - but no rearing. I was very impressed with her.

She doesn't get away with rearing, she doesn't get away with refusing to look at me (as in, I don't remove the pressure until she stops trying not to see me), she doesn't get away with threatening to kick and she doesn't get away with pulling her feet away.

I openly invite any of you to come watch her, and lend a hand. See what I'm doing, and correct me if you believe it is incorrect.

Some of you aren't reading what I'm writing, or so it seems - SHE STARTED OFF DANGEROUS, and she was so terrified I could barely lay hands on her. From there, sure there've been ups and downs, but she's never gone back to where we started, so from where I'm standing, at least, I'm not seeing where the blame could possibly lie with me? I'm not blaming her, either, or her previous owners... just saying that somewhere down the line, something has happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.