update on Magic

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by ShowjumpKid4Eva, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Sherridin- can not like your posts enough! Unfortunatly people see/hear what they want and the thoroughbred is something that's always going to be misjudged and unless you've worked in the racing industry well, you never really know what they are like to work with (in racing) and how they are trained. Lol I wish jumping out of the barriers was something bred in would make life a lot easier sometimes. My poor sir robbo just stood there when the gates opened haha (he still managed to run 3rd though yay).

Oh and SM don't let age slow you down! One of the ladies who works and rides with us will be 71 this year AND she's a tiny English woman.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I am looking forward to getting back into the saddle perminantly :) At the moment I am loosing weight so when my girl Satin is ready to be started I can get on board without worrying about am I too fat for her. In hte meantime I steal rides from friends with big horses lol.

Wow 71 and riding race horses I do have to admit to admiration. That is awesome.

3. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Do I think TB's react fast yes they do. Far faster then many other breeds. it is why they are so successful in their racing and why they are so brilliant when being asked to do things.

I'm sorry but I do not Agree with this. Natural ability is part but just as important as training. I could rattle of a number of dead quiet black type racehorses. They are not born racehorses as such. They are trained to become one. Just like any horse they are a trained product of their environment. If your horse is reacting negatively to what you're doing then you're doing it wrong.

They react just as quick as any horse who is stressed, cornered, intimidated, pressured. Sure they can be very sensitive and seemingly explode out of nowhere but it's not actually like that all.

It'll be a big learning curve for both of you and I do wish you both the best of luck. But don't put down her reactions etc to her being a tb. Have a look outside the box and at yourselves. What have I missed, where did I go wrong. You have a blank canvas....

4. Tommy'sPal

Tommy'sPal New Member

When I first got my thoroughbred at the tender age of 16. I thought I knew it all but I was so wrong especially having a sensitive horse. I didn't put in much ground work and a fortnightly dressage lessons. After dislocating my knee I realised the issues were all caused by ME and how little I knew! So I put my money into having ground lessons twice a week for six months and learnt so much. Once I learnt and felt that I gained enough knowledge I had a ground lesson and ridden lesson weekly for two years and gained so much knowledge.
    I learnt how to react, what to do, the importance of talking to my horse so he would focus on me and started to relax and different techniques.

Sadly he is now retired, but in four years of blood, sweat and tears I was completing and winning medium dressage and show jumping a 1.30m. Even though he is retired unsound I still have ground lessons with him and our bond is so strong.

Hope this helps

5. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

I think we own one of the world's quietest ex-racers ( was retired from racing due to refusal to jump from the barriers ..lol) Bear has not been ridden or worked at all for nearly three years..due to his health issues (not related to soundness) Although he could possibly have been ridden during this time, out of respect for him we did not ride him...until today. Today my daughter got on him , no helmet ( tsk tsk) with only lead rope and halter and rode him around the paddock bareback. He's from the Danehill line ( he's by Catbird) and I think they are quite well known for their extreme quietness. He's such a dude. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Interestingly, NP, my girl's from the Danehill line as well, through Hartley's Spirit. She's very quiet in some ways, in fact she's at her most relaxed in totally new locations (as I discovered the other day when I took her for a walk and went somewhere new)... but she's also highly highly sensitive and seems to have a simmering tension whenever humans are with/near her, except when she has other things to be "worried" about - which is when her nose relaxes.

Her head was still high but no more tight little nose.... found that very interesting. Her eyes were more relaxed as well. It was like she was looking around to see the new place with all its new sights and sounds and smells, but she wasn't worried. She was definitely distracted from the fact that humans were with her, but she was still lovely and respectful.

Of course I used it as a tool and touched her in "scary" places like her poll. No reaction. Come yesterday, went out to say hi to her in the paddock, and she barely reacted when I moved my hand up to her poll/ears. Tight nose, but not much actual reaction.

7. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I own a very quiet TB :) She still has her foal on her atm, but she's been put through a lot of stress in the last two days (Whiskey got a halter on, Whiskey ran smack into a wooden fence, Whiskey fell through a 6 strand electric fence)... and she's just taken it in her stride. What helps is that I didn't panic or react. So Whiskey's the wrong side of the fence, that sucks. I'll go and herd him into the stable - problem solved.

There are obviously exceptions to this, but perhaps have your mum scout for subtle signs when handling her that you might miss because you're too close.

8. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Hey A, she has very very subtle signs before she starts exploding!! The tight nose is the big one, it's the only sign of stress she ever seems to show and she has a tight nose near-constantly when I'm working with her.

I'm sure she shows other signs as well just before she explodes but as you say I'm way too close to see them! With Magic, who knows, it could be anything from outright dancing around to the way she turns her head away and ignores me - I think pretending that if she ignores me for long enough I will go away???

...and could even be more subtle than that... a slight shift in posture, or the flick of an ear, or a further tightening of the nose...

9. Northern Peregrine

This bit stuck out for me because, although I'm not that much up on horse "language" and I could be wrong but I believe not making eye contact is not so much ignoring you and hoping you go away but more of a sign of disrespect towards you. I say this because my young WB when he turned two would do this ..it was during his horrible stage. I bought him at 13 months ( he was 15.3 hands at that age ) and he was always pretty well behaved but when he turned two and hit well over 16 hands he suddenly turned into a complete arse. Not rearing, kicking or exploding..he doesn't do that.. but just disrepectful as in extremely pushy and in -your- face. I nearly got trampled on a couple of occasions. During this stage turning his head away from me was of the things he would always do when I think he wanted to tell me how insignificant he thought I was. It was like suddenly he realized his size... "I'm big..whatta you gonna do about it" What I actually did do about it was send him to Watkins for groundwork for a week and a different horse came back. He has never "turned away" from me again. Fred reckoned he was going to be 18 hands but luckily I think he's bottomed out at about 17.2 :)
    By the way I don't mean it to sound like he came back perfect after a week and we all lived happily ever after. I was just given the tools and the knowledge on how to deal with this particular horse and I make sure I use them every day.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

What you say is true NP, and they can also avoid sighting you out of extreme fear. If she is very fearful, it is probably not disrespect, but if she was the confident type it probably would be the disrespect response.

11. Northern Peregrine

I think you're probably right Deb..my fella is the ( over) confident type and this girl obviously is the opposite.

12. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Thanks NP, your thoughts are much appreciated.

I haven't had Magic long enough to know whether under the fear she is the overconfident type. She is absolutely not bothered by new places and actually visibly relaxes in them... but I can't forget how terrified she was when I first got her, and I feel like there is definitely some fear there. That's why I feel like it's a case of "if I pretend it's not there, it will go away".

13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

hey sjk, i pm'd ya!

14. ShowjumpKid4Eva

Quick photo update, I am REALLY pleased with how her condition is coming along at the moment! I looked at her today and thought, hm, she looks like she's letting down... now considering she's not even broken in, let alone ever been race fit, it's not like she's actually letting down from race prep, but she's not as... tucked up?? as she was.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things.
    [​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]

She's starting to investigate new things rather than run away from them, and won't leave me alone when I have my camera in my hands, meaning getting good photos is a challenge and I end up with more of these:
    [​IMG]

Coming towards to investigate:
    [​IMG]

And just because she's cute:
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the size!!

15. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Looks like she's had a bit of a growth spurt and filled out a bit! She looks good! Love chestnut thoroughbreds!

16. ShowjumpKid4Eva

It's really funny actually, the other day I looked at her and thought, shoot, how did she get so tall?!

I think she's closer to 16h flat now... and has more to grow for sure. She could yet put on another couple of inches. And that wither is getting bigger, I think, which means I may not actually have a rare no-withered TB. Her bum is at least 16.1... even on tiptoes I can't see on top of it.

Too big to have mistakes made in her groundwork... but I still can't find a trainer who will work with her.

17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Have you asked Anthony?

18. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I have never had a trainer knock back a horse! Sure the good trainers charge you but really rearing on lead as an evasion is not that uncommon (just go to a breed show :p ) You just need to get on top of it quickly so that it doesn't become a habit...

19. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

What do you mean by that SJK?

20. ShowjumpKid4Eva

A, no I haven't asked Antony, because I don't have his number.

Mirawee, I have contacted several and they have ALL told me, nope, we don't deal with horses that rear.

JustJam, I hope I have answered the question with the above - but basically, I want someone to work with her on the rearing issue, and head handling issues. I've worked out that if I save for a while it won't take me long to have the money for 2-3 weeks of groundwork by a professional, and this is NOT a horse that can have mistakes made with her groundwork. She is simply too big, and too sensitive. I have done extensive groundwork with Monty to get my timing in (he already knows it all), and then trained Satin, again with extensive groundwork, so it's not like I haven't done it before... but I just feel like with this particular horse it would be smarter to have a professional do the training, so that there is a much lower chance of mistakes being made.

The problem lies in finding someone who will actually do it. The moment I mention "issues" I'm told the trainers have no interest in working with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.