***UPDATE*** Of CREAMY LEG **GRAPHIC PICS**

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by cow_chasin_horses, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

Hey everyone here is an update of creamys leg... Creamy was the horse that ripped open his hind hock on a fence... He went to Fiona Lacey's then ended up getting reffered dow to Ascot with Dr Kim Rowe (who is an awesome vet).. so basically he had surgery got stiched up as well as a antibiotic flush as he cut right through his joint and had to be sedated for every bandage change and was a really naughty boy for the vets and staff down there... he was in there for a week and basically just over 2 and a half grand later he was home with me and I had no problems with him at all they said i would need to heavily sedate him to change bandages ect .. but he just stood there for me .. and when i went to pic him up he actualli pulled away from the handler and came trotting up to me and put his muzzle on my mouth... which i cried lol lol pregnancy hormones hahah ... i think poor creamy just wanted to be with his mummy.....but here are some pictures i have take over the last week ... So happy with the progress..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE ABOVE PHOTOS WERE FROM A WEEK AGO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND THE # ABOVE PICTURES ARE OF HIM TODAY :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Looks like a great canditate for Manuka Honey to me!!

:)*

3. cow_chasin_horses

yer i was using what the vet gave me which was flamazine but i didnt think it was working that well so i started using just some pawpaw cream with betadine and it is healing better now what is manuka honey?? wont the ants get to it ??

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Manuka Honey is natures finest healing product. Do a google and you'll be able to read about it. Sold at good health food stores....get the one with the highest +factor...it has the highest antibacterial properties.

Ants can't get in to a good bandage.....and a good hock bandage is what this horse needs....please don't leave a wound like this exposed just yet.....it has way too much healing to do to be open to the air and contaminents.

Get the Honey and we alway use those Chux wipes....they are the most economical.....cut in half and fold over wound with the Honey on the Chux....then bandage as normal. Leave on for 2 days if bandage stays clean/dry and in place.
    You will marvel at how quickly this wound will heal. I'd say with constant Honey you will have that wound down to a 20c size in 4 weeks.

PS: Try not to contaminent the Honey jar. Use a clean spoon to put Honey on the Chux....never put the spoon near the wound. The Honey actually makes bandaging easier as it sticks to wound well while you wrap with gauze and then bandage. Remember to have enough room for hock flexion and go above the hock and 1/2 way up to the gaskin. Use good tape to secure and buy a pair of bandage scizzors to remove.....they are the safest to use.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. cow_chasin_horses

Might have to look into that ... he is going back to ascot on wednesday for a check up... so i will question the vet about it and see what he rekons .. i was a vet nurse for a while so i will know if he is just trying to get me to buy stuff from him... and it is okay i wouldnt leave this wound un bandaged for a while currently i am putting pawpaw cream on the chux and betadine sprayed onto the wound and then bandaging up with vet wrap and then using a cohesive bandage over the top to make sure it doesnt slip ect as it is still oozing a lot of crap and fluid ... as you can see it is still open and the hole is closing up nicely :)

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The Honey outdoes the PawPaw by 100:1. I'm sure your vet will know all about the wonderful results of Manuka Honey......it will shrink that wound enormously and eat the proud flesh PLUS it will keep that hole open to allow drainage.....not to mention how it increases circulation and actually draws out impurities.....AMAZING stuff........honestly you'll put it on and when you do the 1st bandage change you will near die from the amount of healing.

You can literally see the blood vessels dialate under the Honey, they swell and become pink the minute it goes on.....increasing blood flow and flies and magots HATE the stuff.......it burns them. I can't speak about this stuff enough.....

A neighbour who just lost his lower leg to Diabetes (after loosing 2 toes then half his foot, then more and more) used the Honey on my recommendation. He was hospitalised for 9 weeks because they couldn't control the infection or heal his stump.......he came home for Xmas day lunch with the family and after using the Honey for 4 days has amazed the doctors at the special ward.

It is truely Gods special gift to us.

7. cow_chasin_horses

well i will give it a try sounds interesting and i looked it up on the net and a lot of people that have used it have all had positive results .. so will definatley look at getting it thanks for your help ...

8. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

jarrah honey is as good if not better than manuka and a whole lot easier to get in wa. :)

*info comes from a very good organic bee producer in byford*

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

EVP... unfortunately we can't buy Manuka Honey in WA as it only occurs over east and it can't be imported into WA. But I do agree, it is the best if you can get it. I used it when I was in north QLD and it was fantastic!
    But Jarrah honey from WA is a great option.
    If you can't get that then any unprocessed honey will also work very well.

10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I love threads like these cos of all the interesting stuff that you can learn. Thanks EVP, I will be adding honey (Probally Jarrah - WA) to my first aide kit. I was very impressed that you say it will deal with the proud flesh as I usually use copper sulphate for that. I will be keen to try the honey next time (and with horses, Im sure there will be a next time!)

Creamy will be back to his old self in no time at all...all the best for his recovery.:)*