Untouchable filly.

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by celestialdancer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I'm looking after some horses for a friend whilst she's recovering from an op, and she has an (almost) eight week old filly who is pretty untouchable.

I've touched her three times, all from sitting in the paddock and waiting for her to investigate me, but she runs the second you move.

I need to get my grubby paws on her as she needs to be handle-able when my friend gets back out there, and I really need to get a wormer down her neck.

I don't have access to a yard/stables, just her paddock, and even with two of us and mum as a third wall it's seeming like an impossible task. Any ideas?

Not used to foals that think humans are the devil!

2. Roodog

Roodog Active Member

Maybe try to see if someone can lend you some portable panels for a short while to handle her. Get mum on lead and spend time grooming her, when filly comes in close give her a scratch and stop before she moves away, take mum for walks around paddock and up to the gate. You may be able to touch her more if she is between her mum and gate. It's going to be approach and retreat, she'll get braver as she gets older.:)

3. Portable yards/ round yard would be your only option. It is tricky to handle a foal when you are not set up for it.

4. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

That's for sure Coli!

I managed to give her a pat for about a minute today whilst she was suckling mum, but still have a long way to go!

Mum isn't all that fazed if the filly wanders off unfortunately, so the filly doesn't care if mum's walked out to the next paddock or anything, she's happy with her own company. So frustrating!

5. sil

sil Gold Member

Agreed - you need a catching and holding pen. She won't improve until you actually catch and handle her!

6. I wouldn't even attempt to catch her until you really CAN catch her*#) otherwise all you'd be doing is teaching her to get away from you.
    Never start something you can't finish and never start a battle you can't win.
    Good luck:)